AKG K361/K371
Jan 3, 2022 at 3:02 PM Post #1,037 of 1,294
Can someone explain to me the sonic difference between K361 and K371? Is K371 better?
I have heard the K361 (and returned it) and I own the K371. I prefer the K371, it seems to me it has better dynamics. Although the FR graph would seem to say the opposite, the K371 is subjectively brighter than the K361. The 361 seem to be more 'neutral' in FR, but less dynamic. High frequencies on the 371 however are not nasty, simply slightly elevated. Another subjective impressions (this time reported from the Oratory graph, too) is that the 371 has more sub-bass (40hz and below) and this bump is not welcome for me.

Jan 6, 2022 at 12:12 PM Post #1,038 of 1,294
Hello all - I'm looking for a pair of neutral-sounding closed back headphones to replace my NAD HP50's. I'd pretty much decided to get the AKG K371's, but I just heard back from AKG customer service that they do NOT sell replacement ear pads for this model. This basically makes the headphones a disposable item, since I doubt the pads will last more than 2 years or so of heavy use. As I recounted on the HP50 thread, I loved the sound of those phones but SQ fell apart as the pads deteriorated and I've had no luck finding replacement pads that sounded decent (including the pads sold by NAD's North American distributor, which gave the phones a very different sound from what they had originally). I've gone through the same thing with a pair of AKG K167's - loved the sound, but the pads fell apart, AKG does not sell replacement pads, and the 3rd party pads I've tried don't sound great.

So - any suggestions for a neutral closed back alternative to the AKG K371 that's made by a company that actually supports its products? :) Beyerdynamics would seem to be the obvious answer since they are very good about making replacement parts available. However, I lived with a pair of DT770 Pro's for years and never liked their sound - they sounded closed-in, dead, somewhat harsh and artificial. These were the 600 ohm version and may have been too much for my Headroom Little amp to drive, but nonetheless the experience put me off Beyerdynamics.

I listen mostly to instrumental classical music. Price range would be under $400. Thanks for any suggestions!

Jan 6, 2022 at 12:30 PM Post #1,039 of 1,294
Hello all - I'm looking for a pair of neutral-sounding closed back headphones to replace my NAD HP50's. I'd pretty much decided to get the AKG K371's, but I just heard back from AKG customer service that they do NOT sell replacement ear pads for this model. This basically makes the headphones a disposable item, since I doubt the pads will last more than 2 years or so of heavy use. As I recounted on the HP50 thread, I loved the sound of those phones but SQ fell apart as the pads deteriorated and I've had no luck finding replacement pads that sounded decent (including the pads sold by NAD's North American distributor, which gave the phones a very different sound from what they had originally). I've gone through the same thing with a pair of AKG K167's - loved the sound, but the pads fell apart, AKG does not sell replacement pads, and the 3rd party pads I've tried don't sound great.

So - any suggestions for a neutral closed back alternative to the AKG K371 that's made by a company that actually supports its products? :) Beyerdynamics would seem to be the obvious answer since they are very good about making replacement parts available. However, I lived with a pair of DT770 Pro's for years and never liked their sound - they sounded closed-in, dead, somewhat harsh and artificial. These were the 600 ohm version and may have been too much for my Headroom Little amp to drive, but nonetheless the experience put me off Beyerdynamics.

I listen mostly to instrumental classical music. Price range would be under $400. Thanks for any suggestions!

Hello, there are replacement pads for 371, you can find some from brainwavz audio. If you really like the headphone, you can look into these earpads. The headset is great performance for the price.

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2022 at 1:32 PM Post #1,040 of 1,294

My first idea was the new Beyerdynamic DT700 X, but I think they might be a bit too colored for instrumental classical music -- though maybe worth a try: well within your budget, tuned quite differently from the DT700 and spare parts are easily available, as you already said.

Another headphone worth checking out is the Austrian Audio Hi-X60 (or maybe the open Hi-X65): designed and manufactured by ex-AKG Vienna engineers here in Vienna, quite neutral, spacious (yes, I'm talking about a closed headphone...) and pads as well as headband replacements are available as a set (or, in case of the Hi-X60 will soon be available). They feel very robust and I think they'll hold up well over time. Price is 349€

Jan 8, 2022 at 7:05 PM Post #1,041 of 1,294
My first idea was the new Beyerdynamic DT700 X, but I think they might be a bit too colored for instrumental classical music -- though maybe worth a try: well within your budget, tuned quite differently from the DT700 and spare parts are easily available, as you already said.

Another headphone worth checking out is the Austrian Audio Hi-X60 (or maybe the open Hi-X65): designed and manufactured by ex-AKG Vienna engineers here in Vienna, quite neutral, spacious (yes, I'm talking about a closed headphone...) and pads as well as headband replacements are available as a set (or, in case of the Hi-X60 will soon be available). They feel very robust and I think they'll hold up well over time. Price is 349€
Thanks for the very thoughtful suggestions, and my apologies for detouring this thread! Another helpful person contacted me off-thread to suggest Shure SRH 1540, KRK KNS 8402 or possibly the Beyerdynamic DT150. Lots to think about here...

Jan 9, 2022 at 5:17 AM Post #1,042 of 1,294
Thanks for the very thoughtful suggestions, and my apologies for detouring this thread! Another helpful person contacted me off-thread to suggest Shure SRH 1540, KRK KNS 8402 or possibly the Beyerdynamic DT150. Lots to think about here...
You‘re welcome:wink:

You might want to take a look at the closed headphone thread
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/the-closed-back-headphone-thread-plus-comparisons-reviews.939901/
for more generic discussions not related to specific models.
DT250 might also be a nice option for classical btw.

Jan 17, 2022 at 9:27 AM Post #1,043 of 1,294
Anyone who use k371 about a year or more can answer me on that question - is this headphones have good construction or fragile plastic? Really like how their sounding but the afraid to buy bcz of plastic binding parts...

Last edited:
Jan 17, 2022 at 7:55 PM Post #1,044 of 1,294
Was just unplugging my AKG K371 and noticed that the XLR connecter's outer tube was a little sticky for some reason. As I took a closer look I was shocked to find that there were some golden liquid stains surrounding the outer XLR connecter tube (it looks something like melted gold in liquid form). I also noticed that the inner connecting tube at the side of the headphones where the XLR receiver would be inserted is seem to be quite sticky. What the ****? I am aware that I do live in a very humid country and my room has no proper ventilation but I don't think it's even close to hot enough to melt my headphones inner XLR?

As of now my headphones is still working and sound fine(?) Or maybe it's just that it's my very first pair of warm sounding/signature headphones as I only had them for 2 weeks so I don't seem to be able to notice a difference in sound quality. Maybe to a pair of trained ears it would be able to tell whether the audio quality has been affected or not but certainly not a newcomer like me.

I'm only using things that came in the box of the K371. No add-ons; no adapter, no amp and plugged straight into my laptop directly. And no I haven't touched the Adapter - 3.5 mm (1/8") to 6.5 mm (1/4") that was in the box. Have only used the 2 x Straight cables - 3.0 m (9.8') and 1.2 m (2.5'), the headphone itself and the carrying pouch. The 6.35mm/3.5mm-to-XLR adapter and coiled cables are still in the plastic brand new and untampered with.

This is my very first pair of wired headphones and my k371 is still very new so I'm confused as to whether I should send it back under it's 1 year warranty or just keep it for now?

Edit: Solved! Turns out it was just leftover rosin soldering flux. Nothing to worry about. Phew.

Last edited:
Apr 12, 2022 at 11:48 AM Post #1,046 of 1,294
I am interested in this pair of cans, and read through all 70 pages. (I wonder why some refuse to do so if they are interested to get one for themselves and keep asking the same questions that have been repeatedly answered in the thread).

Rode, the most popular microphone company has recently released their first studio headphones NTH-100. It has been regarded as true-to-life sound reproduction, with rolled off sub bass, forward & lush mids but rolled off treble, not too dissimilar to HD650. One has to look through rubbish videos after rubbish videos to get a glimpse on how they sound because Rode sent review units to podcasters & content creators rather than popular headphones reviewers.

Both NTH-100 and K371 are priced at $150 (albeit K371 has more deals due to its age), and both position themselves as studio headphones.

My question is: Has anyone compared them before since they are technically competing with each other? How do they compare for mixing and monitoring vs music listening enjoyment?

On the surface one point is very apparent: Rode is built like a tank, and one has to pray that the AKG they buy will arrive without faults.

- Hamster

Apr 12, 2022 at 12:01 PM Post #1,047 of 1,294
I am interested in this pair of cans, and read through all 70 pages. (I wonder why some refuse to do so if they are interested to get one for themselves and keep asking the same questions that have been repeatedly answered in the thread).

Rode, the most popular microphone company has recently released their first studio headphones NTH-100. It has been regarded as true-to-life sound reproduction, with rolled off sub bass, forward & lush mids but rolled off treble, not too dissimilar to HD650. One has to look through rubbish videos after rubbish videos to get a glimpse on how they sound because Rode sent review units to podcasters & content creators rather than popular headphones reviewers.

Both NTH-100 and K371 are priced at $150 (albeit K371 has more deals due to its age), and both position themselves as studio headphones.

My question is: Has anyone compared them before since they are technically competing with each other? How do they compare for mixing and monitoring vs music listening enjoyment?

On the surface one point is very apparent: Rode is built like a tank, and one has to pray that the AKG they buy will arrive without faults.

- Hamster
I can only say that I use the K371 for editing and some mastering - When I have checked the work I have done The K371's have been accurate and have given me exactly what I was envisioning and hearing BUT I must add I am using them with Brainwavez Firm foam pads which makes them about as neutral and yet still natural to life sound as you could ever hope for in this price range

As for the Rodes. They might be good BUT - as soon as I read stuff like this: - 'are made for content creators such as filmmakers, musicians, and podcasters'
Well then = No thank you
MADE FOR people with No clue about the intricate interplay of audio frequencies - in other words, not made for sound engineers
Anyway - They might be good? but there is a lot of words like 'enhanced detail and clarity' - You don't need ENHANCED anything - you just need to reliably hear what is actually there but let's hope they are good :)

May 3, 2022 at 9:38 AM Post #1,049 of 1,294
Is case you missed it.
The suede ones look to change the frequency response the least. I might be interested in these.

May 3, 2022 at 9:46 AM Post #1,050 of 1,294
The suede ones look to change the frequency response the least. I might be interested in these.
It is the same with the suede option for other brands as well, they are not altering the original response that much.
It might be the best option if you want to retain a signature close to the original.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back