AKG K361/K371
Dec 15, 2021 at 12:47 AM Post #1,006 of 1,294
Just wanted to share that solderdude @ diyaudioheaven does a very good filter for the K371. He nailed the exact hi freq range to attenuate . Unfortunately, he can't filter the sub-bass as well (40Hz and below): he can do a bass shelf to cut some db, but from 100Hz down (which I preferred not to filter, I like bass quantity on the 371 down to 40 hz). With his filter 371 allows a very relaxed listening, with no fatigue at all.
I've owned the m40x since 2015. When I first got them I used them everyday. Now I listen to mostly my open backs.
Mind you, I only used them at home, so they don't have as much wear and tear as someone who might take them out and about,; but they're in just as good shape as when I got them. The hinges are just fine.

The akg k371 I've had for a few months and I've used them a lot at home and so far they're fine. Although I don't fold them, I just take them off and set them down as they are, until I use them again.

I'd be interested to try the diy filters just to see what I think.
I assume you can buy the filter from the diyaudioheaven web site?

Last edited:
Dec 15, 2021 at 5:19 AM Post #1,007 of 1,294
I've owned the m40x since 2015. When I first got them I used them everyday. Now I listen to mostly my open backs.
Mind you, I only used them at home, so they don't have as much wear and tear as someone who might take them out and about,; but they're in just as good shape as when I got them. The hinges are just fine.

The akg k371 I've had for a few months and I've used them a lot at home and so far they're fine. Although I don't fold them, I just take them off and set them down as they are, until I use them again.

I'd be interested to try the diy filters just to see what I think.
I assume you can buy the filter from the diyaudioheaven web site?
Yes, you can order one by mail to Frans (solderdude4u@gmail.com). On diyaudioheaven he shows on a graph the effect of the filter. However, If I had to be picky, I would now ask him to build my filter with a little less attenuation, since the filter is a little bit (but just a little bit) heavy handed. But I'm talking just 1, 1,5 db less...

Dec 15, 2021 at 10:05 AM Post #1,008 of 1,294
Yes, you can order one by mail to Frans (solderdude4u@gmail.com). On diyaudioheaven he shows on a graph the effect of the filter. However, If I had to be picky, I would now ask him to build my filter with a little less attenuation, since the filter is a little bit (but just a little bit) heavy handed. But I'm talking just 1, 1,5 db less...
Thanks

Dec 18, 2021 at 1:33 PM Post #1,009 of 1,294
Just wanted to share that solderdude @ diyaudioheaven does a very good filter for the K371. He nailed the exact hi freq range to attenuate . Unfortunately, he can't filter the sub-bass as well (40Hz and below): he can do a bass shelf to cut some db, but from 100Hz down (which I preferred not to filter, I like bass quantity on the 371 down to 40 hz). With his filter 371 allows a very relaxed listening, with no fatigue at all.
Che piacere vedere un conterraneo. :beerchug:

Dec 28, 2021 at 9:18 AM Post #1,011 of 1,294
I am looking to buy AKG K371. But I am wondering how I can connect it to the 2.5mm balanced out in my DAP. Can someone help me here? Thanks.

Hello, I am going to try to help you since I also asked myself this question a long time ago.
The sort answer is that no, you can't convert a single ended(SE) connection to balanced, because you can't untie the grounds that are connected to each-other in SE.

There are lots of people online on forums asking this question and you can also find this kind of "adapters" online, but what you do when you use such an adapter is shorting to ground two balanced channels found in your case on 2.5mm connection in the DAP. This can damage you device, if not immediately, in a short while after starting the usage.

You can always convert balanced to SE, but not the other way around.
Hope it helps, don't damage your DAP :slight_smile:

Dec 28, 2021 at 9:32 AM Post #1,012 of 1,294
Hello, I am going to try to help you since I also asked myself this question a long time ago.
The sort answer is that no, you can't convert a single ended(SE) connection to balanced, because you can't untie the grounds that are connected to each-other in SE.

There are lots of people online on forums asking this question and you can also find this kind of "adapters" online, but what you do when you use such an adapter is shorting to ground two balanced channels found in your case on 2.5mm connection in the DAP. This can damage you device, if not immediately, in a short while after starting the usage.

You can always convert balanced to SE, but not the other way around.
Hope it helps, don't damage your DAP :slight_smile:
Hi, Thanks for the response. That helps.

Do you know if it is possible to connect Shure SRH440 to 2.5mm balanced output?

Dec 28, 2021 at 10:45 AM Post #1,015 of 1,294
So, Can I change the cable to connect with 2.5mm? Do you know what connector SRH440 uses?

Connector in the headphone is 2.5mm, but I can’t tell you if you are able to find a balanced cable for your specific headphone or not, this you will have to search yourself.

I do not own this headphone, I just saw it once in a store long time ago.

Dec 28, 2021 at 11:36 AM Post #1,016 of 1,294
Dec 29, 2021 at 8:03 PM Post #1,017 of 1,294
Dec 29, 2021 at 11:20 PM Post #1,018 of 1,294
I like the little identifying tags you have on the cables. Did you make those yourself?

:beyersmile: - those aren't mine. Rtings.com is a review/ratings site and that is from their review of the AKG K371s.

They always include a detailed photo of everything that comes in the box as well as a Wired section with a photo of everything pertaining to that. That subsection is where that photo is from.

cheers,

--tom

Last edited:
Dec 30, 2021 at 2:06 AM Post #1,019 of 1,294
Do the K371 perform at their best without an amplifier? I know it's advertised as such.

Its just that I recently bought the Moondrop Kato. And the balanced output from my DAP made a significant difference. My R3 saber has an unbalanced power of 80mw and 280 mw in balanced.

I just got it in my mind that if it makes a difference in a 10 mm driver iem it surely would in a 50 mm driver headphones.

Dec 30, 2021 at 10:05 AM Post #1,020 of 1,294
No, it is not possible. At least not how it gets out of the official package.
This is correct. However, the Shure's use MMCX connectors that are recessed into the cup casing a bit. People have bored these holes out a bit so that most standard MMCX connectors can fit in. In that instance you can then use a balanced cable, say that from IEM's, as long as it's long enough for your intended use.

As for the AKG K371's. I've just bought myself a set and they are outstanding for the money. They don't sound boxy like the Shure SRH1540's did. The tuning is great and addictive, just a safe bet all-in-all. The design, fit and function, and accessories are great. If anyone is looking for a set of closed-back headphones, these are it! Spend your big bucks on your high-end/extravagant/obscurely-tuned/bling-bling open-back HP's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back