AKG K361/K371
Nov 19, 2021 at 2:09 AM Post #976 of 1,294
I have AKG N700NC M2, i like how Korn and System of A Down sounds on M2, so clear instruments, and warm punchy bass, but not fatiguing. Anyone know how is k371 vs M2? If m2 breaks, is k371 good option later?

Last edited:
Nov 19, 2021 at 3:42 AM Post #977 of 1,294
I have AKG N700NC M2, i like how Korn and System of A Down sounds on M2, so clear instruments, and warm punchy bass, but not fatiguing. Anyone know how is k371 vs M2? If m2 breaks, is k371 good option later?

I've tried (owned, although very temporarily for the N700NC M2) both. Like all Harman products trying to adhere to their target, they sounded "not crap" to me, but they didn't sound similar either, far from it. Difficult to anticipate whether they'll both be equally pleasing to you or not, particularly given the issues of sample variation and how they each respectively couple to your own head (something important with these headphones).

Nov 20, 2021 at 8:42 PM Post #978 of 1,294
fwiw I purchased a low-usage pair (edit: K371) from reddit and found them very mid-focused, they reminded me A LOT of my HD6x0 series but with a big hole in the bass region. I thought this was odd, as I’d read complaints of how heavy-handed the bass was on these so I ordered brand new pair from Amazon. They legitimately sound like two completely different headphones, which would explain the two different camps that seem to exist surrounding this headphone. I’m not sure if there was a silent revision at some point or if this is solely unit variance, but it’s definitely there. Also not sure if this has been posted before but wanted to bring it up.

Last edited:
Nov 20, 2021 at 11:09 PM Post #979 of 1,294
Seal related? Complaints about the bass level have been some combination of "mid bass hole", which is true as there is a relative recession there and "sub bass cannon", which is also true if you have a very good seal such as without glasses and don't want any bass region boosted by more than say 5 dB

Nov 20, 2021 at 11:21 PM Post #980 of 1,294
Seal related? Complaints about the bass level have been some combination of "mid bass hole", which is true as there is a relative recession there and "sub bass cannon", which is also true if you have a very good seal such as without glasses and don't want any bass region boosted by more than say 5 dB
If it were seal related, I'm curious why one K371 would seal properly while the other doesn't. Though I guess worn pads could have an effect like that, though new pads also take a little bit of use to better fit the contours of your head.

Nov 21, 2021 at 3:30 AM Post #981 of 1,294
If it were seal related, I'm curious why one K371 would seal properly while the other doesn't. Though I guess worn pads could have an effect like that, though new pads also take a little bit of use to better fit the contours of your head.

The older packaging crumpled the pads, and even with the newer one the pads' manufacturing tolerances aren't exceptional.
A pair of pads from one sample with the older packaging :
Screenshot 2021-11-21 at 09.27.31.png

When you combine that with a poor yoke design that lacks range of motion, you get inconsistent seal, and inconsistently so between samples.
Even with better pads I routinely get varying degrees of seal during use depending on how I lean my head, and even worse varying between L and R channels.

Nov 21, 2021 at 5:33 PM Post #982 of 1,294
Does anybody know if they sell replacement parts for the AKG K361 and AKG K371? I was considering re-purchasing one of the two for an over-ear with good bass extension to 20Hz, but I couldn't find anything on the official AKG website or on dealers' websites that sell parts for the K701, K702, Q701 etc.

Nov 21, 2021 at 8:17 PM Post #983 of 1,294
Would a 2.5mm balanced cable replacement work with the K361, assuming the 2.5mm locking mechanism fits on the other side? Something like THIS? Leaning towards the 361 over the 371, as I've heard they're pretty close. Thanks!

Nov 25, 2021 at 6:28 PM Post #984 of 1,294
How does it fair in wired mode? Just curious and any differences in terms of soundstage compared to traditional k371

Pretty much the same as in BT mode, tbh. Weirdly hollow, felt pretty limited frequency-wise. Soundstage felt a bit more limited compared to the OG's, which is how I'd characterize them overall: the K371's, but limited. It's like they copy-pasted the original's profile but then had to make all these compromises. The bottom end was muddy as all hell and it felt like it almost hit a brick well somewhere into the treble frequencies. I sent them back after the week; I just couldn't get used to the signature, or the weight and clamping for that matter. When I went back to the K371's after a few days of just using the BT's, it was night and day; like a before and after difference of opening up a window in a stuffy room.

It's really frustrating they bungled the BT's, because if they could bring the weight down a little, match the signature of the K371's just a little better and had a USB-C connection, I'd have my dream headphones and I'd pay stupid money for them.

Last edited:
Nov 26, 2021 at 12:54 PM Post #985 of 1,294
If you want BT, with the kind of sub bass the K371 has, but fuller mids (bit less scooped) and a touch less edge in the highs, in a lightweight design, I highly recommend the JBL Tour One. By far the best JBL I've heard. Without NR it lasts 50 hours, 25 with NR. The sound is more flat without NR, so they are useful for reference. With N.R. they get a bit of bass boosting. They are also good plugged in, even without the DSP they are usable, but I prefer its BT sound with those options. Nice hard case as well. Let them sit out in the open, along with the case, fully open, for about a week, to get rid of the plastic smell. They are usually $250 but have been reduced to $150 everywhere at least for the holiday. My K371 non-BT will remain in my road case for remote work as a useful tool when I need it, and of course I have many other pairs to chose from, both wired and BT of course.

Last edited:
Dec 1, 2021 at 1:02 PM Post #989 of 1,294
Just one amateur's experience: I simultaneously auditioned the K361 and K371, preferring the K371 but finding the sub bass actually painful depending on the seal. I read there might be some variance between units so I bought a second K371. I liked the second pair way better; both were purchased new from different retailers within the past few months.

When I opened the second pair, I liked them so much more I couldn't stop listening to them. Eventually they settled in a bit to the point where once in a while I still feel there's too much sub bass, but it has never been painful like it was on that first pair. I'm hoping they'll get tamer over time or I'll get more used to it.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back