AKG K361/K371
Jan 12, 2020 at 4:11 AM Post #136 of 1,294
I use an Android, so with this I get LDAC. I highly doubt the 371BT will support LDAC. So I'm happy with this.

to me LDAC would be mich more interesting than aptX, but chances are slim that the K371-BT will support it. Plus you can already use it now...

Jan 17, 2020 at 2:25 AM Post #137 of 1,294
Nobody else finds these painfully harsh?
I think after 3 or 4 weeks they are a big fail for me.
I'll probably end up selling them and trying out the M40 or M50x instead.

Today I tried them for the first time with my new upgraded Sansa Clip (128gb MicroSD card) and most songs were basically unlistenable.
Figured they may need more amplification so I tried a portable amp and my main desktop amp. No real change in it's sound signature.

I then switched to my main setup and everything still sounds harsh.
The Nine Inch Nails song "ruiner" is so harsh that it's unlistenable.
Like icicles stabbing me in the ears. Female vocals in J-pop is especially bad.

The same music on the DT-990 Pro is not so bad. You can tell it's harsh, but it's not painful to listen to.
I don't think there is ANY music on that headphone that is so poorly mastered or harsh that it would fatigue my ears.
I don't find the DT-990 to be treble happy at all. Same with my Q701 with bass mod.

On the K371 I usually find my ears ringing like clockwork after after 45-60 minutes.

My main complaints of this headphone other than the harshness is that the soundstage in the recording is basically non-existent on this headphone.

I think it's maybe a spike in the upper mids that's causing me issues and not so much the treble.

PS the headphone doesn't seem warm sounding to me at all. Yes, I know there is no mid-bass hump or anything and it's all mostly elevated low bass.

I don't find the headphone fun to listen to at all. Kind of like the DT-880 vs DT-990 Pro to me.
I got rid of the DT-880 because it bores me to death and I prefer the DT-990 Pro's slightly elevated bass.

So right now I find the Koss Pro DJ200 (or Tony Bennet version) and KRK KNS-8400 to be far better headphones.
The DJ200 is nowhere nearly as good without M50 pads though.
The M50 is probably better too, but I haven't listened to those since maybe 2012. I didn't have the M50x version.

I think it's worth comparing the new Koss Pro4S to the K371. It seems Koss doesn't get much attention these days.
I'd love to review it if I can ever buy a pair.

I wonder if i'd prefer the K553? Probably not.

Last edited:
Jan 17, 2020 at 8:19 AM Post #138 of 1,294

Today I tried them for the first time with my new upgraded Sansa Clip (128gb MicroSD card) and most songs were basically unlistenable.
Figured they may need more amplification so I tried a portable amp and my main desktop amp. No real change in it's sound signature.

The same music on the DT-990 Pro is not so bad. You can tell it's harsh, but it's not painful to listen to.
I don't think there is ANY music on that headphone that is so poorly mastered or harsh that it would fatigue my ears.
I don't find the DT-990 to be treble happy at all. Same with my Q701 with bass mod.

On the K371 I usually find my ears ringing like clockwork after after 45-60 minutes.

My main complaints of this headphone other than the harshness is that the soundstage in the recording is basically non-existent on this headphone.

I think it's maybe a spike in the upper mids that's causing me issues and not so much the treble.

PS the headphone doesn't seem warm sounding to me at all. Yes, I know there is no mid-bass hump or anything and it's all mostly elevated low bass.

I don't find the headphone fun to listen to at all. Kind of like the DT-880 vs DT-990 Pro to me.
I got rid of the DT-880 because it bores me to death and I prefer the DT-990 Pro's slightly elevated bass.

So right now I find the Koss Pro DJ200 (or Tony Bennet version) and KRK KNS-8400 to be far better headphones.
The M50 is probably better too, but I haven't listened to those since maybe 2012. I didn't have the M50x version.

I think it's worth comparing the new Koss Pro4S to the K371. It seems Koss doesn't get much attention these days.

Eh, I don’t know if I would describe them as harsh but they are a little too forward for me. There’s a bit of shout and because of the tighter soundstage they do sound a little forceful. Not all the time, but I’ve run into some tracks that sound like that, where the upper midrange is too strong. The slight mid-bass dip brings it out even more.

Jan 17, 2020 at 8:49 AM Post #139 of 1,294

Could be 3k or 8.5k

https://www.rtings.com/headphones/reviews/akg/k371

The headphone fit consistancy is low as well. Curious if these are better that dt770 250 ohm.

Jan 17, 2020 at 9:14 AM Post #140 of 1,294

Nope, and I actually boost 8k by 1.5dB, and 16k by 2.5dB. I hear no harshness with mine.

Jan 17, 2020 at 10:43 AM Post #141 of 1,294
These are right on the ears. That was the main reason I disliked them, even with relatively flat ears they can hurt. Other ear pads loose the sound quality. The sound is based on proximity effect. They likely have similar if not the same drivers their K550-553 series has, which have thicker pads. When you'll push those against your head so your ears are against their drivers, you get a very similar bass heavy sound. When a driver is that close, ear shape, how far they stick out will play a larger role in giving some more bass or mids or treble than they may like.

Bad news: the release date for the wireless have been pushed to April. They did it with a prior failure of a folding headphone, that took a 1-2 year from its announcement to materialize, and it fit terribly with round smaller pads barely over ear, and due to the thickness of the pads lacked sub bass. They need to engineer these with better bass response at a distance, that is with a thicker set of pads to provide better comfort. Relying on a driver with less bass, and squashed ears against it to make up for it is not a practical design. AKG has some work to do, I think.

Last edited:
Jan 17, 2020 at 12:22 PM Post #142 of 1,294
These are right on the ears. That was the main reason I disliked them, even with relatively flat ears they can hurt. Other ear pads loose the sound quality. The sound is based on proximity effect. They likely have similar if not the same drivers their K550-553 series has, which have thicker pads. When you'll push those against your head so your ears are against their drivers, you get a very similar bass heavy sound. When a driver is that close, ear shape, how far they stick out will play a larger role in giving some more bass or mids or treble than they may like.

Bad news: the release date for the wireless have been pushed to April. They did it with a prior failure of a folding headphone, that took a 1-2 year from its announcement to materialize, and it fit terribly with round smaller pads barely over ear, and due to the thickness of the pads lacked sub bass. They need to engineer these with better bass response at a distance, that is with a thicker set of pads to provide better comfort. Relying on a driver with less bass, and squashed ears against it to make up for it is not a practical design. AKG has some work to do, I think.
Good point. The sound does depend on proximity effect. I wonder how different the rigs are interms the ear shape used?

The distance to the driver can vary due to headshape combined with ear protusion.

Jan 17, 2020 at 11:48 PM Post #143 of 1,294
These can be harsher if your pair is clampy out of the box. I found with some use the headband does break in a bit. They definitely sound their best when they are not overly clampy and the inside of the cup should not touch your ear.

Jan 18, 2020 at 11:45 PM Post #145 of 1,294
On mine the driver's don't touch my ears. I'm sure they are kind of close, but they don't touch. They sound great and are comfortable to me. They get more head time than my Q701 and HD650. I've had them for almost 2 months now, so it's not that initial honeymoon period or anything. I really do like them a lot, and use them almost everyday.

Jan 19, 2020 at 4:52 AM Post #146 of 1,294
To me they are neither shouty nor stressful sounding and, while lightly touching my ears, still comfortable. I really like their low bass presentation, but it's their quite natural mids that lets me use them so often nowadays. To me they are rather relaxed without sounding dull.
While the rather problematic seal with the K550 may be part of the difference, in my memory they sounded very different, much more sterile and unengaging. I don't know wether the drivers share anything, but the tuning is much more complete with the K371.

Jan 19, 2020 at 6:41 AM Post #147 of 1,294
That is my no1 worry, driver units that touch or skim the ear, if you add heat and long periods of listening and something is scratching your ear I get eczema and dry skin and that ruins the whole experience.

Brainwavz site does not show any AKG 371 pads but they are usually more thicker and better quality and give a good space between driver and ear, think may have to wait !

Jan 19, 2020 at 11:00 AM Post #148 of 1,294
That is my no1 worry, driver units that touch or skim the ear, if you add heat and long periods of listening and something is scratching your ear I get eczema and dry skin and that ruins the whole experience.

Brainwavz site does not show any AKG 371 pads but they are usually more thicker and better quality and give a good space between driver and ear, think may have to wait !
I have Brainwavz "Small Oval" (AKA Sony style) pads on my K361, and for me they're an improvement in comfort over the originals. I'm using the basic pleather ones.

Sound has changed a little bit with these pads, with some harshness damped out and the overall signature altered a little in a way I can't put a simple name to. I like the reduced harshness but am ambivalent about the sonic change apart from that.

Jan 20, 2020 at 3:58 AM Post #149 of 1,294
At a slight tangent, like many folks, my AKG 495NC phones now have a broken hinge. In fact my phones seem to have lasted far longer than most. This hinge is an extremely flimsy piece of slender plastic, that is just asking to get broken. AKG/Harman are running away from the problem and all the headphone repairers I have spoken to say that they have been unable to get spare/replacement hinges from AKG for a few months now. I have come across a solution which is a 3D printed brace for the broken hinge area. My son who is a development engineer currently working for a 3D printer maker (mainly metal printing but they do have a plastic 3D printer for making prototype parts) is going to print me two pairs of these braces. I will let folks know how successful this repair is. I prefer my AKG phones for travelling over my Beyerdynamic T5-P Gen 2 phones, due to their much smaller hard case, which fits in my cabin luggage in contrast to the huge Beyerdynamic hard case. I will use rather neater screws (shallow dome head hex socket stainless steel screws) than the picture below shows.

AKG 495 NC hinge repair.jpg

Jan 20, 2020 at 9:47 PM Post #150 of 1,294
At a slight tangent, like many folks, my AKG 495NC phones now have a broken hinge. In fact my phones seem to have lasted far longer than most. This hinge is an extremely flimsy piece of slender plastic, that is just asking to get broken. AKG/Harman are running away from the problem and all the headphone repairers I have spoken to say that they have been unable to get spare/replacement hinges from AKG for a few months now. I have come across a solution which is a 3D printed brace for the broken hinge area. My son who is a development engineer currently working for a 3D printer maker (mainly metal printing but they do have a plastic 3D printer for making prototype parts) is going to print me two pairs of these braces. I will let folks know how successful this repair is. I prefer my AKG phones for travelling over my Beyerdynamic T5-P Gen 2 phones, due to their much smaller hard case, which fits in my cabin luggage in contrast to the huge Beyerdynamic hard case. I will use rather neater screws (shallow dome head hex socket stainless steel screws) than the picture below shows.

What's this have to do with the K371?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back