AKG K340 sound level
Mar 14, 2008 at 3:24 AM Post #17 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by catscratch /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not really. They're not a supra-aural headphone in the same sense as Grados are supra-aural...

This is really a stretch. Why not just say they're shallow, like all K240 earpad headphones?

Mar 14, 2008 at 4:01 AM Post #18 of 32
I drive them directly out of speaker amp and they cannot sound better!

Mar 14, 2008 at 6:41 AM Post #19 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by ericj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Name some other circum-aural headphones you've used. Because you've got funny ideas about circumaurals.

I don't really see what's so funny about it. A supra-aural headphone is a headphone in which the earpads partially or fully rest on the ear and interface with the pinna of the ear, while in a circum-aural headphone the earpads go around the pinna of the ear and interface with the side of your head. Example of the latter being HD600/650, DT770, SR-404. Maybe I'm taking the definition literally, but definitions are meant to be taken literally or they stop being accurate.

To be fair, the K340 is in between circum-aural and supra-aural, but for me it always fit more like a supra-aural headphone than a circum-aural one, because significant portions of the earcup rest on the pinna of the ear and form a seal with it rather than the side of your head.

Anyway, it's completely irrelevant for the purposes of this thread what I consider them as. What matters is that they have an issue with the fit, and I believe that I am not alone in experiencing it, which was the point I was making in the first place. I think that the chassis is very poorly designed, and an earcup transplant onto a different, and more tightly clamping headband mechanism, is necessary to overcome the fit issues that I've been having.

Mar 14, 2008 at 6:30 PM Post #20 of 32
K340 is supra-aural design unless you are a baby (literally). No pun intended.

Mar 14, 2008 at 6:39 PM Post #21 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by facelvega /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This is really a stretch. Why not just say they're shallow, like a K240 earpad headphones?

You mean, because they have K240 earpads on them, perhaps?

At any rate, it's absurd to call thm supra-aural because the driver is held away from the opening of the ear canal by the pads. Even if you're wearing them wrong, like some here clearly are.

Mar 14, 2008 at 7:14 PM Post #22 of 32
Quote:

At any rate, it's absurd to call thm supra-aural because the driver is held away from the opening of the ear canal by the pads.

As it is the case with most supra-aural phones. Supra-aural designs nevertheless.

Off topic and not worth of further discussion. Its not that difficult, really. Are the pads over your ear (K340) or surrounding them (HD650)?

Forget about distances between driver and ear. It is not relevant at all for the definition. A can is black or small or hot or light regardless or the distance between driver and ear. So it is supra-aural.

Mar 14, 2008 at 7:20 PM Post #23 of 32
Quote:

You mean, because they have K240 earpads on them, perhaps?

At any rate, it's absurd to call thm supra-aural because the driver is held away from the opening of the ear canal by the pads. Even if you're wearing them wrong, like some here clearly are.

yeah, sorry, it was a typo, it was supposed to read "all K240 earpad," meaning 240, 340, 270, 280, 290, 271, 241, 242, and probably a few more. And yes, the fact that for some people a part of the pinna is covered by the earpad is immaterial; the distinction between supraaural and circumaural is about driver placement in relation to the ear-- this is what requires different treatment between the two kinds of headphones, not whether the pad touches the ear or not.

Mar 14, 2008 at 7:44 PM Post #24 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nomad /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As it is the case with most supra-aural phones. Supra-aural designs nevertheless.

I can assure you that a K141 driver sits closer to your ear than a K240 driver, and works with a much smaller volume of air.

Quote:

Forget about distances between driver and ear. It is not relevant at all for the definition. A can is black or small or hot or light regardless or the distance between driver and ear. So it is supra-aural.

That doesn't even make sense.

Mar 14, 2008 at 7:44 PM Post #25 of 32
Distinction between supra-aural or circum-aural is if the sound coming from the headphone has the chance to interact with all the pinnea, creating indirect reflections on it that goes to the ear canal too.

If the pads sourround the ear this interaction with all the pinnea is possible. If the pads cover part of the pinnea this is not possible. It has nothing to do with the distance of the driver to the ear.

Circumaural Definition: "An earphone cushion that completely surrounds the auricle". Simple, really.

Mar 14, 2008 at 9:24 PM Post #26 of 32
Quote:

Distinction between supra-aural or circum-aural is if the sound coming from the headphone has the chance to interact with all the pinnea, creating indirect reflections on it that goes to the ear canal too.

If the pads sourround the ear this interaction with all the pinnea is possible. If the pads cover part of the pinnea this is not possible. It has nothing to do with the distance of the driver to the ear.

Circumaural Definition: "An earphone cushion that completely surrounds the auricle". Simple, really.

What part of your ear are you covering with the earpads? I thought you were talking about it pressing the pinna down because it's shallow, but now it sounds like you just have gigantic ears. Mine fit comfortably inside those pads with room to spare. If you really have to cover more than say the bottom of your earlobe with the pads, then I guess these wouldn't fit you.

Mar 31, 2008 at 1:48 PM Post #27 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zorander /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You can always replace the elastics with something that grips stronger. I tried one such elastic before and it felt like my head was going to be crushed. Maybe it will suit you.
smily_headphones1.gif

Any idea where I can pick up elastics like that in Sydney? I just picked up a stock pair of K340 and deciding whether to mod it. I could sure use some tips.
tongue.gif
The elastics need to be changed first though..

Btw, 9 o'clock on my Darkvoice 336i seems to be enough to power my k340... Weird. O.o

Mar 31, 2008 at 3:13 PM Post #28 of 32
just use regular hair ties that girls use to tie their hair.. get the thinner ones though as the thick ones are next to impossible to fit in. open up the casing to have a look at the original elastics first..

A bit off topic, but how does your MS2i compare to the K340. Have been dying to see how the MS2i stacks up as I'm interested in trying out a pir..

Apr 6, 2008 at 5:51 PM Post #29 of 32
Quote:

Quote:

That doesn't even make sense.

That's because of a typo. I meant "regardless OF the distance". What I'm saying is that none of these properties (color, weight, distance between driver and ear) has nothing to do with the fact of being circum/supra-aural.

According to your definition, every Grado with bowls wouldn't be supra-aural. It would be circum-aural according to you, as there is some distance between driver and ear. And that's plain wrong. They are supra-aural (SR and RS range).

If the pads rest on your skull surrounding your ears it is circum-aural. If it rest over your ear it is supra-aural. It's not that difficult.

Apr 6, 2008 at 6:08 PM Post #30 of 32
Quote:

If the pads rest on your skull surrounding your ears it is circum-aural. If it rest over your ear it is supra-aural. It's not that difficult.

So then by your own definition the K340 is circumaural, except for huge ears.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back