AKG K340 in Africa
Mar 13, 2011 at 7:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

MDR30

500+ Head-Fier
A most extraordinary thing happened the other day. It was my uncle’s birthday and I browsed through one of his old photo albums. He used to be a radio operator in the merchant fleet before retirement. One photo especially attracted my attention as I saw a man with a pair of headphones. It was apparently from Africa in the 1980s or so, as the accompanying photos showed white houses, dunes and camels. When I asked my uncle he said the photos were taken in Morocco when the men were on leave for two or three days in Tarfaya while the ship was undergoing repairs. After a day in the bazaars they went to a small hotel with an adjoining restaurant for supper.

A the table next to them sat a family and the father invited my uncle and his colleagues for a local specialty, a spiced refreshing drink from a large glass bowl. He introduced himself (the name written in the photo album looks like Ali Ben Adir, not “Hen” Adir as I first thought), and said they lived in Rabat but had travelled to the south coast for holidays. My uncle believed the man was carrying a camera or a pair of binoculars, but it turned out to be a portable CD player with headphones and a big shoulder bag!

The man said: “Music one cannot live without. That’s why, even when I’m on holiday with my family, I bring along my cherished recordings.” One must remember that a CD player was quite unusual in those days, it was introduced in Japan in 1982, especially in Africa. “I am very proud of this”, said the man, and insisted my uncle took a photograph of him in the lobby. My uncle did so, after all he had generously treated the company to drinks, but one snapshot was not enough. Mr Ali Ben Adir said he must take a “close-up” of his very expensive and rare equipment. And he was right: look at it – it’s friggin’ AKG K340, the electrostatic, and most likely a Sony Walkman CD player! I wonder how those survived in the sand. That’s probably why the man has this big, yellow bag.

When they were done, Mr Adir let my uncle listen to the set-up, and he says the experience of listening to Tony Bennett singing “Watch What Happens” in the warm Moroccan evening was quite mesmerizing.

And there it is for you, two snapshots from an African headphone hobbyist, almost three decades ago.

Mar 13, 2011 at 8:44 PM Post #2 of 15
Very sweet!  I love how people realize the importance of good music - being able to listen to good-recorded music on good equipment.  That's certainly a great thing to pack up while going on holiday or vacation - unlike many Americans who take their laptops, Blackberries and iPads on vacation to stay "in touch" with their world that they should have left at home.  

Mar 13, 2011 at 11:49 PM Post #3 of 15
His portable rig looks cool. 
wink.gif

Mar 14, 2011 at 8:18 AM Post #4 of 15
cool story man!

Mar 14, 2011 at 8:55 AM Post #5 of 15
A most extraordinary thing happened the other day. It was my uncle’s birthday and I browsed through one of his old photo albums. He used to be a radio operator in the merchant fleet before retirement. One photo especially attracted my attention as I saw a man with a pair of headphones. It was apparently from Africa in the 1980s or so, as the accompanying photos showed white houses, dunes and camels. When I asked my uncle he said the photos were taken in Morocco when the men were on leave for two or three days in Tarfaya while the ship was undergoing repairs. After a day in the bazaars they went to a small hotel with an adjoining restaurant for supper.

A the table next to them sat a family and the father invited my uncle and his colleagues for a local specialty, a spiced refreshing drink from a large glass bowl. He introduced himself (the name written in the photo album looks like Ali Ben Adir, not “Hen” Adir as I first thought), and said they lived in Rabat but had travelled to the south coast for holidays. My uncle believed the man was carrying a camera or a pair of binoculars, but it turned out to be a portable CD player with headphones and a big shoulder bag!

The man said: “Music one cannot live without. That’s why, even when I’m on holiday with my family, I bring along my cherished recordings.” One must remember that a CD player was quite unusual in those days, it was introduced in Japan in 1982, especially in Africa. “I am very proud of this”, said the man, and insisted my uncle took a photograph of him in the lobby. My uncle did so, after all he had generously treated the company to drinks, but one snapshot was not enough. Mr Ali Ben Adir said he must take a “close-up” of his very expensive and rare equipment. And he was right: look at it – it’s friggin’ AKG K340, the electrostatic, and most likely a Sony Walkman CD player! I wonder how those survived in the sand. That’s probably why the man has this big, yellow bag.

When they were done, Mr Adir let my uncle listen to the set-up, and he says the experience of listening to Tony Bennett singing “Watch What Happens” in the warm Moroccan evening was quite mesmerizing.

And there it is for you, two snapshots from an African headphone hobbyist, almost three decades ago.

that must be one beefy CD player. Cowon D2 or Iaudio7 couldn't drive my K340 anywhere near listenable :D . Great HP though. A bit weird sound sig,but very nice for the price, and after you change the elastics and pads (now even possible to get Jmoney leather ones). I'd also be somewhat scared of carrying the K340 around, they're not exactly very durable or portable.

also, Discman. Not walkman

Mar 14, 2011 at 6:14 PM Post #8 of 15
The most powerful Discman (actually not branded as such) is the D-50, first PCDP ever. It has raw power but lacks resolution and refinement. I knew of one guy using this to drive an HD540 Gold, HD580 and/or HD600.

Mar 15, 2011 at 2:52 PM Post #9 of 15
This discussion is interesting, especially in the light of the inadequate power output of today's iPod Nanos etc. I called my uncle and asked if he remembered anything about the sound, and he said it sounded fine, he is not an expert in the field. But he did remember that Mr. Adir got a worried look on his face when he cranked up the volume, the music was quite loud without being turned up all the way. So if it was still only a measly 9 + 9 mW it seemed to have been enough to power the K340. Is there anyone out there who could try an old Discman with the K340?

The more I learn about old gear the more intrigued I get.

Mar 15, 2011 at 4:30 PM Post #11 of 15
My Sony D-E805 discman isn't by far capable of driving the K340.

Those AKG's are easily the most difficult to drive headphones I have

Mar 16, 2011 at 6:24 PM Post #13 of 15

Quote:
My Sony D-E805 discman isn't by far capable of driving the K340.

Those AKG's are easily the most difficult to drive headphones I have

That seems to be a problem with my K340s.  Mine have low bass, so under-driven amps on my computer or portable devices don't give slam, and seem a bit dynamically constricted.  Still, it is decent sound.  I can't believe I haven't upgraded for 28 years.  Audeze LCD-2s may be in my future.

Mar 27, 2011 at 11:35 AM Post #14 of 15
Very cool !!

I think that PCDP is Sony D-20. 
As for D-20, a Lock knob is gray. 
D-22 is black.

Both are  "9mW+9mW 32ohm". 
D-22 has DBB( strong Bass Boost). 
D-20 does not have DBB.

D-20 (D-2) 1988

D-22(D-12) 1989

Aug 3, 2011 at 9:42 PM Post #15 of 15
I own both a Sony D2 CD player and AKG k340 headphones. While I wouldn't call it a match made in heaven, it sounds fine, better than decent. It depends upon his music, his listening habits. If I didn't hang out around here surrounded by power-hungry music fans, I'd probably be fine with this combination. 

Great photo, BTW.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back