AKG K340 fit issues. Anyone have a fix?
Sep 5, 2010 at 3:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 36

rhythmdevils

Member of the Trade: rhythmdevils audio
Anyone else have fit issues with the K340?  I love how they sound, but they seem to have a pretty serious design flaw (or I have a weirdly shaped head
tongue.gif
).  The cups won't swivel/angle up enough to match the angle of my head, so the bottom of the pads don't seal under my ears, they just kind of hang off into space.  The top of the cup (where the chrome ring is) hits the inside of the headband arm before it can swivel enough. 

I've had this problem with one pair of K240 before but not others, and another pair of K340 is better but not great, but I've always had this fit issue with K340's, and I never even listened to them much until now, because I would just take them off when they didn't fit right. 

But with this NOS pair I have, I put a piece of thick self adhesive door insulation between the pad and the baffle on the bottom, to make the pads thicker on the bottom.  And this sort of works, but they're still really loose and floppy and I can't help but think they would fit better and maybe sound better if the cups could swivel more, so that the drivers were facing towards my ears more. 

Anyone else have this problem?  Any ideas?  I can't really think of any other way to fix it...

Sep 5, 2010 at 3:55 PM Post #2 of 36
I took the covers off mine to see the elastics and no matter how hard I try I cannot get them to go back on the way they were before. One swivels more than the other now. But, I can manage as they still fit fine. How about trying that to see what you do to adjust the swivel? I don't know if that is intended or not, probably not!

Sep 8, 2010 at 5:27 PM Post #3 of 36
Mine is pretty much the same.  Loose fit and not much swivel.  I replaced the elastic on mine and it made the fit tighter but it didn't change the swivel.

Sep 8, 2010 at 6:53 PM Post #4 of 36
I had the exact same problem, which was frustrating because without the seal I would lose most of my bass response. Here's my ghetto solution...

(Please ignore the weird neck contortion thing I have going; I've got my right arm extended holding the camera and my neck all twisted to the left)

Sep 12, 2010 at 6:22 AM Post #5 of 36
That's quite a fix!  Wow, I never thought of that.  Very out of the box solution.  There's gotta be something else to do about this.  I was thinking maybe extending the joint that connects the headband and cups?  This would provide more space for swiveling.  But I'm not sure how to do it. 

Sep 12, 2010 at 11:16 PM Post #7 of 36
The framework of the k340 sees a bit big to fit into the K2xx body... but I dunno, I've never taken them apart. Maybe a Beyer shell?

Sep 13, 2010 at 3:56 AM Post #9 of 36
I'm not sure it's really the frame that's to blame.  I mean it is, but just the fact that it doesn't allow the cups to swivel enough.  I'm not sure another frame of the same kind would allow it to swivel more unless it had a longer joint to the cup that gave it more room.  Or if it swiveled or attached in a different way.

Sep 25, 2010 at 5:12 AM Post #11 of 36
If you search around you will find that people have replaced the original K340 headband with the headband from from K50x and perhaps some of the other Kx0x headphones I think this will help because those headbands are shorter and better shaped than the original, that must be designed by an alien or another conehead. It should also be possible to DYI something out of leather if you don't have any Kx0x spares at hand.

Are you BTW sure that your elastics are OK, I have not bothered with mine yet but they could do with a replacement or perhaps just a shortening that has worked well with my K400.

Sep 25, 2010 at 5:13 AM Post #12 of 36
I think they'd bend, but they are so springy that its hard to do with the cups attached.  They'd need a very sharp bend to retain any memory, and you can't bend them that sharply without also twisting them in a spiral unless you disassemble the whole thing, unsolder the rods and then bend them to the right shape.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back