AKG K340: First--and LASTing--Impressions
May 17, 2008 at 3:32 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 92

pataburd

Headphoneus Supremus
After some preliminary auditioning--about 10-12 hours' worth--I'm pretty impressed with the K340. The pair I bought from Jesse Lussier, known henceforth as "The Green Mountain Gentleman", already have the screen mod done and velveteen ear pads installed. According to KT88, these two mods bring about a significant improvement to the "stock" sound.

Today I started some notes from a K501 v. K340 a/b session, but I might put that on hold and listen exclusively to the K340 for the whole of next week first, then re-approach the intended comparison with a different set of ears, so to speak.

To let the cat partially out of the bag, I am especially enjoying--among other things--the smoothness, punctual timing and pace of the K340, together with their excellent rendering of detail and judiciously apportioned, deep and surprisingly articulate bass response (I think these might be the "bass-heavy" version, but am not completely sure at this point). The music is laid out expansively, instruments and performers are definitively placed and complex passages satisfyingly resolved.

For example, on BTO's "Freeways" the K340 brought me the nearest I'd ever been to finally understanding what in the world Randy Bachman is singing. Admittedly, I still don't know with absolute certainty what he's saying, but my best guess got even better today; here goes: "Runnin' right into the sun, on the edge of the stars and we've only begun; nothin's gonna change our minds; we've songs to be sung, but we've left them behind; [So we know(?), the freeway's long and it's pushing us home; And we go(?), 'til nothing exists but a dream(?) anymore] . . . freeways . . . " The bracketed text may ever be an indecipherable mystery of '70s R&R. (sigh)

Do I like the K340 THAT much? Who knows? In sudden, short-lived and ill-controlled flights of fancy, I've imagined selling my longstanding reference RAL/K701 to fund the Headphile mods on the K340(!). <--Did I really say that?

The Bada PH-12 drives the K340 very well, too, with the volume pot typically riding the arc somewhere between 12:00 and 14:00 (or is it 00:00 and 02:00?). At higher volumes the K340 simply deliver a more embracing, yet non-fatiguing, acoustic; unlike the K701, which can become gradually unlistenable with further clockwise nudges of the knob. It feels like I'm finally getting my money's worth from the Bada, and finding out what this fine Chinese amp can "really" do.

Is this in any way suggesting that I think the K340 are without their comparative (alongside the K501, for example), or even absolute, deficit(s)? No, but they certainly sound "special" enough, IMHO, to warrant a long, appreciative "listen-to"--make that a very long, very appreciative listen-to. : )

SOURCE:
EVS-modded Oppo 970HD w/Machina Dynamica's "Code Turquoise" tray application (gulp: guilty as charged), EVS IC100 (PCOCC conductors terminated with unjacketed Eichmann Bullets), MAC Source PC, OneAC power conditioner, DakiOm HR203 Feedback Stabilizer, Infinity Audio RCA Terminators, 4x Herbies Ebony Domes footed onto gabon ebony blocks, maple and ebony damping blocks, DIY "Cloud Nine-to-Five" suspension platform;

AMPLIFIER:
Bada PH-12 w/1x Mullard ECC33 & 2x Russian 1578, Herbies Hal-O 27 and rign dampers, 1x DakiOm R203 & 2x DakiOm F206 Feedback Stabilizers, MAC HC PC, PowerVar ABC400 power conditioner, 4x Herbies Ebony Domes footed onto gabon ebony blocks, more maple and ebony damping blocks, yet another DIY "Cloud Nine-to-Five" suspension platform;

HEADPHONES:
Jessie Lussier's former AKG K340 w/screen mod and replacement pads, stock AKG K501 (purchased NOS on eBay from the seller who charges exorbitant shipping fees), RAL recabled AKG K701 (stock K701 obtained in a swap w/MrLA for my Proline 2500);

Did I mention that I like AKG headphones? : )

SUNDRIES:
Walker Talisman de-magnetizer/de-staticizer, Marigo Signature CD mat, Auric Illuminator disc treatment, Walker SST contact enhancer/treatment, additional 6SN7 tubes.

To be continued, God willing, later . . .

May 17, 2008 at 3:52 AM Post #2 of 92
Thanks for the initial impressions and I'm glad that you are going to come back to the comparison after you had a different set of ears. I've been curious about them and will probably own them one day. I'll be looking forward to your impressions as well
smily_headphones1.gif

May 17, 2008 at 6:02 AM Post #5 of 92
I am glad you ended up purchasing a pair. I have never heard them with velours, but I look forward to further impressions and comparisons with the K501. I agree that the K340 has a special sound, mostly due to its unique way of delivering it.

May 17, 2008 at 7:22 AM Post #9 of 92
Thanks for the impressions.
The K340 certainly looks like a fun pair of headphones.

May 17, 2008 at 8:10 AM Post #10 of 92
I'm interested in how the K340 compares to a Sextett MP.

May 17, 2008 at 9:34 AM Post #12 of 92
Give me a sextett broken or not over a HD-650 anyday
smily_headphones1.gif
J/K. Do you really think its that good?

May 17, 2008 at 9:59 AM Post #14 of 92
I bought my k340 (stock) aprox. a year and a half ago - off of eBay Germany. I plugged them into a P.S. Audio Integrated amp when they arrived.....first impression was unremarkable - but I found myself not wanting to end the session........I listened from time to time, but only replaced the elastics.
Three months ago I finally got around to sending them out to Headphile (figure Larry has gotten enough experience with them
smily_headphones1.gif
).
Thursday, I got notice from him that they are finished and he was putting them in the mail.......we shall see. My unmodded impression was basically they are best-suited for large-venue music. Symphonies, Opera......etc., since they are great at sorting out intricate, busy passages, and a great breadth of instrumentation......I will soon hear whether their expertise is increased or enlarged. Bear in mind they will be pitted against Grado HP-2, and X-Deep Darths, and Alessandro MS Pro.

May 17, 2008 at 10:02 AM Post #15 of 92
Very intersting, I rarely see them on ebay.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back