AKG K340 bespoke amp build who's in?
Nov 3, 2008 at 2:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

notuagain

100+ Head-Fier
Hi there,

Recently acquired a pair of these phones and after reading so much about how they need the 'right' amp to drive them, although most cannot define which is the best to use (I've tried DV332 and was not overly impressed by the results) thought into the possibilities of a self build pertaining to the requirements of the K340.

Anyone got any initial thoughts/reactions to this concept?

Thanks.

Nov 3, 2008 at 3:36 PM Post #2 of 5
Only that there are a few great DIY choices out there already.

Firstly I think the K340 is a headphone that responds quite well to a balanced system and cabling.

The Dynamite, balanced M³, balanced β22 and IMO a balanced PPAv2 would all be great choices.

Nov 3, 2008 at 3:58 PM Post #3 of 5
How advanced are you ready to push this project ? If you're into tubes, you might try this: PCL805-Roehren-Kopfhoererverstaerker_von_Helmut_Becker

You can recycle most of the layout for the amp section, but add a regulated PS for the HV, a dedicated PS for the opamps, a epsilon12 against power thump and good parts all around. I would also use an opa627 properly compensated instead of the old opamp (better if you have an oscilloscope to check for oscillation).

But that's not a beginner's project...

Nov 3, 2008 at 4:05 PM Post #4 of 5
I'd also look to the existing DIY designs. You can find many excellent ones over at Headwize.

How much are you looking to spend and have you built an amp or have experience working on electronics?

Nov 3, 2008 at 5:30 PM Post #5 of 5
Thanks for replies.

Quote:

Originally Posted by swt61 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Dynamite, balanced M³, balanced β22 and IMO a balanced PPAv2 would all be great choices.

Thanks for recommendations, all look quality amps. Out of these which have you tried with K340 and how did they fair/differ?

Quote:

Originally Posted by 00940 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How advanced are you ready to push this project ? If you're into tubes, you might try this: PCL805-Roehren-Kopfhoererverstaerker_von_Helmut_Becker

I'm a relative beginner and that's why I posted the topic. The idea is to take the massive knowledge base and skillsets that are here and collectively spec and design a K340 amp.

As for tubes this raises the first point
smily_headphones1.gif
tubes or SS? I've read conflicting reports some saying tubes suit the K340, others state contrary. From my experience with the 332 compared to an old Luxman receiver I have, I would initially say SS, but that is with limited product testing...which is why again I thought this would be a wise project, instead of expensive experimentation on various amps. Personally I am looking for a neutral sound.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 00940 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd also look to the existing DIY designs. You can find many excellent ones over at Headwize.
How much are you looking to spend and have you built an amp or have experience working on electronics?

Thanks for the reference to Headwize. The issue though is which would suit the difficult to drive K340? I have some basic experience with electronics, but have never undertaken a project as technical as this would be.
Cost ideally for me would be less than $1000.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back