AKG K340 ? Are they for me ?
Mar 25, 2007 at 12:03 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 92

Koolind

100+ Head-Fier
Hello all...

Recently i bought the MS1's and have a pair of HD600's... However i now feel the well known force thats trying to push me into more cans
blink.gif

Have read good things and bad things about the K340... Mostly good i think... Even though it apparently "needs" to be recabled and modded to perform as good as possible.. but well... many cans improves with better cables i guess ?...

To be honest i should get a pair of closed cans, but the K340 got my attention..

Are the K340 semi-closed or closed ? there seems to be different definitions of that ?... How much does they leak ?.. my girlfriend hates my MS1's
rolleyes.gif

The thing people keeps on saying is that it needs a powerfull amp. There is refered to ex. the Darkvoices... i got a Little dot II++, but dont think is refered to as a very powerfull amp as its as low priced as it is... Wondering if it would be worth to try a pair of 340's with that amp ?.. can get a pair for about 110$ which i think is fairly cheap ? (even though it could be somewhat more expensive with mods and such)

So now the question... Are the K340 something for me ?.. i love the MS1-sound and prefer it to the HD600 i must say...

Mar 25, 2007 at 12:09 AM Post #2 of 92
the K340 is an expensive and difficult project my friend.

semi-closed yes but they leak big time unless you get them sealed up somehow and replace the pads.

You want interesting, lively sound? Less leakage from a closed

750 Ultrasone will do you groovy man!

sorry watching the first Austin Powers lol.

Mar 25, 2007 at 12:16 AM Post #3 of 92
Quote:

Originally Posted by spacemanspliff /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the K340 is an expensive and difficult project my friend.

You want interesting, lively sound? Less leakage from a closed

750 Ultrasone will do you groovy man!

sorry watching the first Austin Powers lol.

Ah yea it can be quite expensive.. But it just temps me to try it... hates this forum.. heh.. think the thing i "should" buy if i should buy anything should be a pair of closed...

But a pair of stock K340 compared to something else ?.. for about 110$.. isnt it fairly good ? or is it just some fanboys that have tempted me with the fancy electret or what its called ?
biggrin.gif
i need a head-fi-fix soon...
frown.gif

Mar 25, 2007 at 12:32 AM Post #5 of 92
Quote:

Originally Posted by Thelonious Monk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
wait, $110? i see most going for at least $300, normally more than that unless it's German eBay. i would jump on that deal regardless.

Me and german ebay are great friends
smily_headphones1.gif

and.. jump on that deal ?.. Im from Denmark and don't get all that slang ? so with me not getting your point, could you rephrase that plz ?
confused.gif

Mar 25, 2007 at 12:43 AM Post #6 of 92
I just bought my first pair (first mind you) and have nothing but mod plans for them! They sound great as they are but will make a fun project and will keep me from buying more phones for a short while
wink.gif

Mar 25, 2007 at 12:48 AM Post #7 of 92
Quote:

Originally Posted by Koolind /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Have read good things and bad things about the K340... Mostly good i think... Even though it apparently "needs" to be recabled and modded to perform as good as possible.. but well... many cans improves with better cables i guess ?...
The thing people keeps on saying is that it needs a powerfull amp. There is refered to ex. the Darkvoices... i got a Little dot II++, but dont think is refered to as a very powerfull amp as its as low priced as it is... Wondering if it would be worth to try a pair of 340's with that amp ?.. can get a pair for about 110$ which i think is fairly cheap ? (even though it could be somewhat more expensive with mods and such)
So now the question... Are the K340 something for me ?.. i love the MS1-sound and prefer it to the HD600 i must say...

hard to say whether they're for you or not. hey, i've bought and sold the thing a few times and i still i'm entirely sure how i feel about it. having listened to several stock and several modded ones though, personally i don't think all this modding does wonders for the can. stock is fine. the one mod i've heard that seems to make a real difference is going balanced. otherwise i wouldn't bother (i know that there are a number of head-fiers who disagree with me on this issue). power is a good thing to drive them. try contacting m8o about your combo as he has the ld2 and the k340s.

Quote:

smily_headphones1.gif

and.. jump on that deal ?.. Im from Denmark and don't get all that slang ? so with me not getting your point, could you rephrase that plz ?
confused.gif

that's an excellent price (they're often twice that around here) and therefore he's recommending buying them without hesitation for such a deal.

Mar 25, 2007 at 12:49 AM Post #8 of 92
Quote:

Originally Posted by johnsonad /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just bought my first pair (first mind you) and have nothing but mod plans for them! They sound great as they are but will make a fun project and will keep me from buying more phones for a short while
wink.gif

yea a little tweaking and modding can provide great head-fi-fixes
smily_headphones1.gif

How would you compare the sound to other cans eventually ?... havent had any AKG yet i must admit, but the modding and tweaking you can do with these must be great fun... if its succesfull that is...

Mar 25, 2007 at 12:52 AM Post #9 of 92
i have never heard the K340 but i imagine it will greatly outperform anything in the under $150 category, and most people agree that it can compete with stuff in the <$500 category easily.

and yeah, i meant that it is a great price and you should buy it without hesitation. if you are unsatisfied, you could sell for at least the price you paid.

Mar 25, 2007 at 1:03 AM Post #10 of 92
Quote:

i have never heard the K340 but i imagine it will greatly outperform anything in the under $150 category, and most people agree that it can compete with stuff in the <$500 category easily.

and yeah, i meant that it is a great price and you should buy it without hesitation. if you are unsatisfied, you could sell for at least the price you paid.

Yea thats exactly what i was thinking
340smile.gif
Old old can.. but i suspect it to be rather cool and if its at that price great value for money...

I guess there might only be one way for me then...
340smile.gif
I just hate these "read some threads and just had to try it"-things..
plainface.gif
kinda like my MS1's which i adore, so that were in fact a great buy i think...

Mar 25, 2007 at 1:13 AM Post #12 of 92
Quote:

yea a little tweaking and modding can provide great head-fi-fixes
smily_headphones1.gif

How would you compare the sound to other cans eventually ?... havent had any AKG yet i must admit, but the modding and tweaking you can do with these must be great fun... if its succesfull that is...

Honestly they sound fantastic with the couple of hours I've spent on them. Read the threads, they are a very well respected phone. Mine need the usual treatment, new pads/elastics/recable (to balanced). This is with my WA6. Once they get recabled I'll put them on the Aleph 30 for some quality listening.

Mar 25, 2007 at 1:39 AM Post #13 of 92
Quote:

I'd pay between 350-400 for a well conditioned used pair..

Mar 25, 2007 at 1:56 AM Post #14 of 92
Quote:

Originally Posted by kool bubba ice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd pay between 350-400 for a well conditioned used pair..

lol sold! you can have mine if they ever get here. I think the pair I was shipped (about 3 weeks ago now) got eaten by the Swiss mail service.

For $110 go for it. You need a better/stronger amp for sure but it will still work w/ the little dot. Just don't think that's what they really sound like. The K340 is about the hardest can there is to drive.

Mar 25, 2007 at 2:38 AM Post #15 of 92
Quote:

smily_headphones1.gif

confused.gif

Translation: Buy it!
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back