AKG K340 and perfect amplifying solution
Jan 5, 2010 at 12:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 41

afico

100+ Head-Fier
Dear all,
i was wondering which is the definitive solution about the amplfier to make those headphone sing..
I tried an OTL with 2 6080..but the bass is not so nice...
i was thinking to use directly (maybe with some resistors) the speaker out of my venerable Leak stereo 20 (11w)..what do you think?
Thanks a lot
Antonio
ITALY

Jan 5, 2010 at 3:57 PM Post #2 of 41
Antonio welcome aboard! It has been a long time since I listened to the K340 and I recall they are harder to drive than most dynamic headphones so a good amp would be needed. Do not know of the amp you would like to use but resistors can and will change the sound. Have you considered the Heed CanAmp?

Jan 5, 2010 at 8:16 PM Post #4 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by afico /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Dear all,
i was wondering which is the definitive solution about the amplfier to make those headphone sing..
I tried an OTL with 2 6080..but the bass is not so nice...
i was thinking to use directly (maybe with some resistors) the speaker out of my venerable Leak stereo 20 (11w)..what do you think?
Thanks a lot
Antonio
ITALY

I say do it, you may have to do something about possible hum.
The original sales brochure says you can hook them up to power amps.
If you have the amp hand you've nothing to loose.

Jan 5, 2010 at 9:04 PM Post #5 of 41
thank you all for your kind answers..
i just tried with a Nad..but terrible hum and compressed sound...jesus i am really thinking to buy a more sensitive headphone..this is a real finger in the ***

Jan 5, 2010 at 10:06 PM Post #7 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by afico /img/forum/go_quote.gif
thank you all for your kind answers..
i just tried with a Nad..but terrible hum and compressed sound...jesus i am really thinking to buy a more sensitive headphone..this is a real finger in the ***

How did you wire it up?
Have you cut the plug off or re-cabled?
Straight out the amp or through resistors?

Jan 10, 2014 at 6:49 PM Post #14 of 41
A post on the K340 from the Modern Era!
I've had mine since the 80's but got into them only recently. Only mod is cotton removal. Either that or my FiiO E09K amp is causing bass drum muddiness, in the opening track of Paul Simon's Rhythm of the Saints, for example. They do seem loud enough, cranked up to 2:00 or so. The phones are the gray-driver, bass-heavy version.

Jan 20, 2014 at 12:07 AM Post #15 of 41
Hello, Greetings from Mexico, 
I'm the lucky new owner of a used akg K340, and marked 30 years or so, I have the version bassheavy, I have them connected to a matrix Mstage USB, Gain 18db +, and hear between 12 and 3 to the Pot amplifier. 
Ask enough power, however sound better connected to a receiver aiwa late 80s. 
Greetings and excuse my bad English.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back