AKG K340 £££££££
Jun 14, 2009 at 11:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

TDL-speakers

100+ Head-Fier
Hiya, It's been months since I posted on here.

I might be thinking about selling my AKG K340 Electrostatic Dynamic Headphones. How much do these Headphones fetch for?

These ones are unmodified though.

I don't know what year my ones are from? They don't have the AKG K340 Logo on the Head Band.

Cheers

Shane

Jun 15, 2009 at 3:52 AM Post #5 of 16
Given the lack of attention they've had recently, there's no way of knowing.

Jun 15, 2009 at 1:30 PM Post #7 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zorander /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You don't like them anymore?

What has happened I've upgraded my HiFi to a modified Quad 44 preamp, 2 Bridged Quad 405 poweramps, also modified. I no longer have the Rotel RC-03 preamp anymore. I used the Rotel with the AKGs for late night music. And the Rotel drove the AKG K340 very well.

So my Quad preamp does not have a headphone socket
frown.gif
mad.gif
But it's a very good preamp. It's got a very good phono stage.

I don't really want to sell these nice AKG headphones, I might get them modified, and then save up for a valve headphone amp. Or on the other hand, just sell them and get a good decent Stax system. Sometimes I don't care for too much bass, as long as something has nice dynamics and midrange then I'm happy.

Jun 15, 2009 at 1:48 PM Post #9 of 16
I think I'm going to keep my K340, I have a feeling I will regret selling these.

I want to save up for full modification for these AKGs.

Does anyone on here know someone who can do mods for the K340 in the UK? I'm not sending these to the USA, I don't want these to get damaged on me.

Jun 16, 2009 at 2:52 AM Post #10 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by TDL-speakers /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What has happened I've upgraded my HiFi to a modified Quad 44 preamp, 2 Bridged Quad 405 poweramps, also modified. I no longer have the Rotel RC-03 preamp anymore. I used the Rotel with the AKGs for late night music. And the Rotel drove the AKG K340 very well.

So my Quad preamp does not have a headphone socket
frown.gif
mad.gif
But it's a very good preamp. It's got a very good phono stage.

I don't really want to sell these nice AKG headphones, I might get them modified, and then save up for a valve headphone amp. Or on the other hand, just sell them and get a good decent Stax system. Sometimes I don't care for too much bass, as long as something has nice dynamics and midrange then I'm happy.

Sounds like a chance to mod the 'phones so you can hook them up to that (really nice) Quad system via the speaker taps. It would be a pity to sell them off especially since you like it already and it costs so little relative to the Quads.

Cheers!

Jun 16, 2009 at 9:33 AM Post #11 of 16
My father has lent me his Musical F X Can V2 headphoneamp. It sounds very good with my AKG K340.

Is there anyone on here from the UK that modifies the AKG K340? I want to save up for a full modification.

Jun 27, 2009 at 9:22 PM Post #12 of 16
ditto to what Zorander said about wiring them up to the preamp directly. I wired mine directly to an integrated amp with no problem.

Jun 28, 2009 at 12:56 PM Post #14 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Calypso /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why not connect them directly to the poweramps speakertaps? You just make an adapter for the K340, and you are in business
smile.gif
. That is actually also what Zorander said.

Actually, if the phones are terminated with a plug with common ground (i.e. 1/4" TRS), you can't just put an adapter to it and not risk bridging the speaker taps. It's better to completely snip off the plug and re-terminate as appropriate.

Cheers!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back