AKG K272HD vs AKG K271 MKII
Feb 6, 2009 at 5:31 PM Post #16 of 30
I mainly listen to Dire Straits, Eric Clapton. With some other rock bands on the side.

Feb 8, 2009 at 2:49 PM Post #17 of 30
Any other opinions on this?
As I said, feel free to suggest other headphones.
Budget is 150 euro's max though.

Feb 9, 2009 at 6:17 PM Post #19 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalfrog /img/forum/go_quote.gif
lweijs, where do you live ?
We can meet and listen to my 272HD, I'm in NH - not too far from Schiphol.

I live in Overijssel, close to Friesland. Not very close to where you're located. Are there any other dutchies who know where I can find a decent shop to listen to headphones (Not too far away from Emmeloord/Heerenveen).

I've listened to a 272HD before, like 6 months. But I bought a hd555 at the time since my budget wasn't very high
biggrin.gif
Not quite sure anymore about how they sounded :p (wasn't disappointed at the time.. but I was used to my Sennheiser pc150's aswell)

[Edit]
I like to hear lots of detail, for instance.. when I'm listening to the Alchemy Live album (Dire Straits) you can pick up all kinds of things. Shouts from the crowd and tiny instrument details. Not sure how to explain it in another way ^^

Feb 9, 2009 at 9:32 PM Post #20 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by HippieTom /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What music do you listen too lweijs?

Only if the track is just "right" you will get a pretty deep and very puncy bass but if not: Gat damn were is the bass i heard earlier?

This is very accurate BTW. I need to dig in more to the reason behind this (encoding, original mix etc...).

Or has anyone been through the same analysis yet ?

Feb 9, 2009 at 9:54 PM Post #21 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kuba4 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
K271 MKII are much better cans than AKG K271S.

Velour pads and different color scheme is the only difference between two.
And you can always order velour pads separately.

Feb 10, 2009 at 9:30 PM Post #22 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul_in_Maryland /img/forum/go_quote.gif
AKGs, yes; K-271 or K-272, no; without an amp, you give up too much in dynanics (response), even if you could drive them loud enough.

Do I really need an amp? I've been using my HD555 without one, and it was good enough for me (even through my Creative mp3 player.).

Still in doubt if I will sell my HD555 or keep it ;(

Feb 10, 2009 at 11:17 PM Post #24 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by boomy3555 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh, I insist,
I think the Denons 2k's can do generaly better all around than the AKG's I find the Denon's better with more genre

Depends on many factors, may be unamped or if you are after a lot of bass. I dumped D2000 as to my ears and in my system K271S was better than D2000, considering Denon's fragile build and lack of proper isolation it was a no brainer which one to keep as an office can.
I also liked 2005 DT770 (non-pro) better than D2K too, something you might want to look into.
But out of those 3 only Denon is fine unamped.

Feb 11, 2009 at 9:49 AM Post #25 of 30
Agreed. And it's a question of taste & listening habits.

I also prefer the K271 to every other closed can (including the US E9, DX1000 and the AT woodies). I couldn't stand the D2000 boom bass and its emotional factor (too boring for concentrated listening, too annoying for casual listening).

The K271 works great with different pads, the stock pleather stuff is indeed a bit boring.

Feb 11, 2009 at 9:57 AM Post #26 of 30
A used K270 Playback isn't bad either. They show up now and then on Dutch tradingsites (Marktplaats), and on ebay.de.
Can be bought rather cheap. You'll get great sound.

Feb 13, 2009 at 3:02 PM Post #27 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tiemen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A used K270 Playback isn't bad either. They show up now and then on Dutch tradingsites (Marktplaats), and on ebay.de.
Can be bought rather cheap. You'll get great sound.

Currently waiting on a reply from someone that's selling a AKG K271S.

Any of you know other good websites that sell akg's and other brands (that ship to the Netherlands for a reasonable price).

Currently looking at : Welcome - Dutch International Cyberstore
They have the AKG K271 MK2's for 150.

Also it's 8 euros to ship to the Netherlands, which isn't much imo. Boughty my guitar + amp from them a while ago.. really good service.

But was just wondering if there were more shops like these which might offer another range of headphones.

Feb 27, 2009 at 5:25 PM Post #28 of 30
To be perfectly honest it depends what you want them for. I wouldn't buy them for listening. As reference phones, absolutely. But I tried them out yesterday (amped and unamped) and I found the bass was very, very anemic. It's such a wonderful headphone. It fits like a pillow and there's clarity like you won't believe. If you like less than ideal bass, by all means go ahead and purchase them. But if you're interested in bass I'd recommend going with something else.

Also I would find a portable amp. I found my ipod to not be that great driving the phones.

Feb 27, 2009 at 5:44 PM Post #29 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by lifestream /img/forum/go_quote.gif
To be perfectly honest it depends what you want them for. I wouldn't buy them for listening. As reference phones, absolutely. But I tried them out yesterday (amped and unamped) and I found the bass was very, very anemic. It's such a wonderful headphone. It fits like a pillow and there's clarity like you won't believe. If you like less than ideal bass, by all means go ahead and purchase them. But if you're interested in bass I'd recommend going with something else.

Also I would find a portable amp. I found my ipod to not be that great driving the phones.

Ideal bass is perhaps a matter of taste? I never found K271 bass lacking in quantity and quality.
There are Headfi-ers enjoying them for listening to music.

Dec 15, 2009 at 7:46 AM Post #30 of 30
I would concur that the bass thing is a matter of taste. The only time I have missed the bass with my pair of 271 MkII's is when I hooked them up to play metal gear solid in comparison to a 2.1 speaker set with a sub. Apart from that, the bass has been more than sufficient for my tastes. If it is really an issue, it is trivial to pop the bass slightly in an equalizer without incurring much perceived distortion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back