AKG K271 Studio:Opinions?
Nov 1, 2004 at 9:17 AM Post #31 of 46
I just got myself an AKG 271 in Singapore also!
must say i quite like the forward sounding mids on these phones.
thinking of getting a cable upgrade (zu? headphile?) which is supp to improve them even further.
Can anyone recommend an amp to pair with these phone? Headsave classic?

Nov 1, 2004 at 9:47 AM Post #32 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by lini
Snufkin: Just for checking, does the midrange of the K271S also sound downright weird to you? And would you also say it's lacking in the bass department?

Greetings from Hannover!

Manfred / lini

Absolutely, that's exactly what I hear - plus the high end sounds strangely... digital, it just sounds off.

Nov 1, 2004 at 11:04 AM Post #33 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by Freddymac
I just got myself an AKG 271 in Singapore also!
must say i quite like the forward sounding mids on these phones.
thinking of getting a cable upgrade (zu? headphile?) which is supp to improve them even further.

Hi Freddymac, nice to see a fellow countryman here. Cable upgrade? hmm... will u b heading to adelphi to do so? its gonna cost ard $200 SIN rite?

Nov 1, 2004 at 12:38 PM Post #34 of 46
I also feel the K271 sounded digital, echoey in the midrange and weak in the bass. Also very closed in and fatiguing to listen to.

I have to wonder when people say they sound like the HD600 if there are QC issues, because to me, they dont sound anything like them - so vastly inferior.

Also the K240, I wasnt a fan of either. It sounded fairly similar to the 271 but the mids were a lot better, but they still sounded digital up top and the bass seemed to have depth but no real impact or body.

Nov 1, 2004 at 2:03 PM Post #35 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by viconte
Hi Freddymac, nice to see a fellow countryman here. Cable upgrade? hmm... will u b heading to adelphi to do so? its gonna cost ard $200 SIN rite?

Nice to see both of you... I'll be returning to Singapore in about a month. Meanwhile, I've been hearing some people say that the 271 resembles a HD600. I'm curious because a HD600 with isolation would interest me.

Have you heard all of them? How would you compare the 271 with the 240 and the HD600?

Nov 1, 2004 at 2:22 PM Post #37 of 46
Quote:

The zu mobius makes a great improvement on the K271.

I have not heard the Headsave classic, but I own a PIMETA myself and it does wonders with the K271... I did hear a Headsave PPA at a recent meet and it sounded quite good.

---

The K271 do not sound digital at all, they have a very smooth rich sound. If anything, the A900's sounded harsh and digital with piercing highs. I cant understand how someone could find the K271 fatiguing over the A900. I listened to the A900 for less than 30min and found that the highs were too much to take. I can listen to the K271 for hours on end.

The K271 has similar mids to the K240, but in direct comparison the K271 is the clear winner. If the K271's mids sound 'weird' I guess that is what I like.
wink.gif

Nov 1, 2004 at 2:28 PM Post #38 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by philodox

I have not heard the Headsave classic, but I own a PIMETA myself and it does wonders with the K271... I did hear a Headsave PPA at a recent meet and it sounded quite good.

---

The K271 do not sound digital at all, they have a very smooth rich sound. If anything, the A900's sounded harsh and digital with piercing highs. I cant understand how someone could find the K271 fatiguing over the A900. I listened to the A900 for less than 30min and found that the highs were too much to take. I can listen to the K271 for hours on end.

The K271 has similar mids to the K240, but in direct comparison the K271 is the clear winner. If the K271's mids sound 'weird' I guess that is what I like.
wink.gif

Philodox, its nice to see someone who shares the same opinion as me. For awhile i was thinking, hmm... how come I dont enjoy the A900 > K271 according to the pple here... it's pleasing to me ears defn! nothing weird or digital at all...

Nov 2, 2004 at 2:24 AM Post #39 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by viconte

Helo!
yes indeed nice to see a fellow countryman here.
nope, i think the cable will have to be ordered from the US
i'm thinking of the zu as its supposed to be more natural sounding (judging by the comments made on the zu cables for the senn hd600)
its abt US$134

also thinking of getting the headsave classic to pair with these phones.

now all i have to do is find a nice cdp...

Nov 2, 2004 at 2:32 AM Post #40 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by philodox

---

wink.gif

thanks for the comments phil
dun think i can afford a ppa so will prob settle for a classic. quite a few good comments on it. I own a portable pimeta myself but am now looking for a home setup. any other recommendations? i guess i have a budget of abt $200 - $250.

yes i quite like the AKG 271, i like the isolation it provides and the midrange smoothness (i love jazz vocals). However, i do feel that sometimes the midrange tends to overpower everything else. ie. the singer seems to be right in front of you. i'm hoping that an appropriate amp can sort this out and balance out the sound a bit.

Nov 2, 2004 at 2:43 AM Post #41 of 46
freddymac... isnt the headsave classic basically a PIMETA anyways? If you already have a PIMETA maybe you should just save up for something better?

Nov 2, 2004 at 2:47 AM Post #42 of 46
Quote:

However, i do feel that sometimes the midrange tends to overpower everything else. ie. the singer seems to be right in front of you. i'm hoping that an appropriate amp can sort this out and balance out the sound a bit.

Save yourself the ultimately inefficient tail-chasing adventure.

Get a powerful low noise equalizer(listed in order of price - as price goes up so does ultimate versatality and power) such as:

Behringer DEQ2496
Behringer DCX2496(not an E.Q. exclusively, but has E.Q. in it's feature set -- can be used for many things, or even as several simultaneous E.Q.s with 3 simultanious differently E.Q.ed stereo outputs in one configuration)

-Chris

Nov 2, 2004 at 2:49 AM Post #43 of 46
at the recent meet I saw what tomek's behringer could do and was amazed... that might not be a bad suggestion
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 2, 2004 at 3:10 AM Post #44 of 46
Quote:

Helo!
yes indeed nice to see a fellow countryman here.
nope, i think the cable will have to be ordered from the US
i'm thinking of the zu as its supposed to be more natural sounding (judging by the comments made on the zu cables for the senn hd600)
its abt US$134

also thinking of getting the headsave classic to pair with these phones.

now all i have to do is find a nice cdp...

for the zu cables u might want to try music by design at adelphi... heard they are selling there, might b limited stock... FYI

Nov 2, 2004 at 7:23 AM Post #45 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by WmAx
Save yourself the ultimately inefficient tail-chasing adventure.

Get a powerful low noise equalizer(listed in order of price - as price goes up so does ultimate versatality and power) such as:

Behringer DEQ2496
Behringer DCX2496(not an E.Q. exclusively, but has E.Q. in it's feature set -- can be used for many things, or even as several simultaneous E.Q.s with 3 simultanious differently E.Q.ed stereo outputs in one configuration)

-Chris

would this work? i can get it used
ULTRA-CURVE PRO DSP8024

Users who are viewing this thread

Back