AKG K271 Studio:Opinions?
Nov 1, 2004 at 1:31 AM Post #16 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by philodox
blessingx... well, sleepkyng and I are not the only ones that think so... yorgi, a HD 600 owner, thinks much the same
wink.gif

knuxed... you might find the toronto meet impressions usefull... nearly everyone at that meet prefered the K271 to the A900

http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showt...t=toronto+meet

I for one have both the K271 and A900. IMO I also prefer the K271 over the A900. It sounds clearer (A900 is more detailed, picking up some 'static' noise), bass is not lacking cos I use a bass booster to a level tt is tight and punchy (not over-whelming though). Also I didnt use an amp for the K271 and it already sounds so gd. But it is more diff to drive (55ohms) A900 (40ohms), using portable device like ipod I nearly have to turn all the way up to max to have enjoy my music, A900 vol. at half is satisfactory. Thus i prefer the K271 over A900 IMO.

Nov 1, 2004 at 2:15 AM Post #17 of 46
3lusiv3 - I agree that the K271 has less bass than the A900... there is no question of that. I can understand how the K271 could get uncomfortable if you tried to wear them while also wearing glasses... but since when are the K271 not 'fully circumaural'? How big are your ears?
eek.gif

The biggest thing that threw me about the A900 was their soundstage and imaging capabilities. After having the K271 do a superb job in that department it is quite a shock when moving to the A900 or a set of Grado headphones. I think this is a similar feeling that a lot of the A900 supporters get in the bass department when moving from the A900 to the K271. I think it just depends on what is important to you.

Nov 1, 2004 at 2:31 AM Post #18 of 46
From my closed can review: "The AKG 271 i'm not impressed with. The bass leaves a little to be desired, and the rolled off treble often limits the detail they provide. They easily won the Rock Music test above though, so for that they get my thumbs up, but for Jazz and electronic they're not in the same league as the other cans."

That's to my ears though, which apparently are different to many other peoples ears.

Nov 1, 2004 at 2:54 AM Post #19 of 46
Apparently.
wink.gif

Nov 1, 2004 at 2:54 AM Post #20 of 46
I don't like the K271S at all, they just sound terrible to my ears.

Normally I can put preference aside and understand why someone would like a particular sound, but I honestly can't find any good points about the K271S to recommend them ever. They're closed and well built, but IMO there are far better closed headphones for the price, and certainly better open models as well.

Nov 1, 2004 at 3:07 AM Post #21 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by Snufkin
They're closed and well built, but IMO there are far better closed headphones for the price.

Like what?

I find such polar opposite views confusing... maybe AKG has quality control issues or something. Its not like I am the only one that likes the sound of my K271's. I would say that 90% of people that have auditioned them like them quite a bit. They have also recieved very favourable comments at both head-fi meets I have attended. Its a mystery thats for sure.

Nov 1, 2004 at 3:13 AM Post #22 of 46
Quote:

I can understand how the K271 could get uncomfortable if you tried to wear them while also wearing glasses... but since when are the K271 not 'fully circumaural'? How big are your ears?
eek.gif

I have humungous EARS! No, I actually have a relatively small/medium head with standard ears. I found the problem with the K271s and my ears mostly to do with the thickness/depth of the earpads not being deep enough and I found the relatively hard pleather to be uncomfortable. I'm not trying to diss your headphones, and I think they have their merits.
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 1, 2004 at 3:19 AM Post #23 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by 3lusiv3
I'm not trying to diss you headphones, and I think they have their merits.

LOL... well its good you're not dissing my headphones... then we would have a problem.
icon10.gif

Anyways... That is weird. I have a rather large head and normal sized ears. The K271 fits my head perfectly and when positioned properly my ears do touch, but it is not uncomfortable. I think that is true of most headphones though. They would have to have pretty cavernous chambers for your ears to not touch at all.
tongue.gif

Maybe your smaller sized head made the cans put wieght on the top of your ears.
confused.gif

Those crazy Austrians need to start considering little headed people as well... its just not right.
icon10.gif

Nov 1, 2004 at 3:44 AM Post #24 of 46
Quote:

Like what?

I find such polar opposite views confusing... maybe AKG has quality control issues or something. Its not like I am the only one that likes the sound of my K271's. I would say that 90% of people that have auditioned them like them quite a bit. They have also recieved very favourable comments at both head-fi meets I have attended. Its a mystery thats for sure.

I'm also thinking AKG have QC issues, although I've tested 3 pairs with the same results - I've also had customers audition them and out of about 30 people who've tried them not one has liked the way they sound either, all agreeing that the Ultrasone range and similarly priced Beyer models and the ATH-A900 sound significantly better.

Nov 1, 2004 at 3:54 AM Post #25 of 46
I have not had the chance to hear the ultrasones or beyerdynamics... but I have heard the A900's and completely disagree. But I wont go into the explination again as I have gone over it a few times in this thread already.

I did find this interesting: Quote:

Originally Posted by Headphonic
The K271Studio is a fairly easy to drive, slightly bright sounding but reasonably well balanced headphone. The closed design offers plenty of isolation and the headphones feature auto-switchoff when you remove them. Recommended for studio use or home users who like an even response.

Nov 1, 2004 at 4:26 AM Post #26 of 46
hmm... r my ears playing tricks on me? I tried various genres of music n still prefer my K271 to 900. QC? maybe? I got mine from singapore.. sounds real gd to me... anyway... guess it's really a preference thing

Nov 1, 2004 at 4:35 AM Post #27 of 46
Quote:

I have not had the chance to hear the ultrasones or beyerdynamics... but I have heard the A900's and completely disagree. But I wont go into the explination again as I have gone over it a few times in this thread already.

I did find this interesting:

Yep, a generic description for it there, I'm basically open to the possibility that there are indeed people out there that like the K271s, needless to say when people ask for recommendations it's not one that I bring up
wink.gif

Nov 1, 2004 at 7:11 AM Post #28 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by Snufkin
I'm also thinking AKG have QC issues, although I've tested 3 pairs with the same results - I've also had customers audition them and out of about 30 people who've tried them not one has liked the way they sound either, all agreeing that the Ultrasone range and similarly priced Beyer models and the ATH-A900 sound significantly better.

Interesting, I tried Ultrasones and they noticably sound harsh compared to smooth 271s. I can understand the A900 argument more as they (I tried A1000 briefly) have more bass and thinner mids - so it relates to preference thing.

Nov 1, 2004 at 7:47 AM Post #29 of 46
Snufkin: Just for checking, does the midrange of the K271S also sound downright weird to you? And would you also say it's lacking in the bass department?

Greetings from Hannover!

Manfred / lini

Nov 1, 2004 at 8:53 AM Post #30 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by lini
philodox: Well, maybe yours does and mine doesn't - I don't know. I've a slight suspicion, anyway, that sound quality of the K240S and K271S varies with individual units - which would be an explanation for Paul (pbirkett) not liking the K240S and me not liking the K271S.

I also like K271S better than K240S but I have to admit that I haven't heard them through a good headphone amp. My impressions are based on hearing them with shops integrated stereo amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back