AKG K271 MKII or AKG K550 for a lover of the AKG K702
May 1, 2013 at 2:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

listen2themusic

Head-Fier
Hi All,

I think my title says it all.

I own and love the AKG K702 open back phones, and I'm looking to acquire a set of closed phones to use as well. I love the sound and comfort afforded by the AKG K702, and I am hoping to duplicate both of these qualities with a closed pair.

I purchased a pair of Audio-Technica ATH-M50 after reading the "rave" reviews. They sound OK, but the fit is HORRIBLE! Those suckers feel like a vice grip on my ears - I can barely use them to get thru an entire album. So, I'm going to get rid of those a move on.

Seems logical to stay with the AKG line as I do enjoy the 702. They seem very well balanced thru the frequency range not favoring any one area in particular. I own Magnepan MG-12 speakers in my main rig and value them for this as well - I guess that is why I have been smitten with the 702s.

The question is, do I want the K271 or the H550? I've heard neither so I'm hoping some of you who own or have tried/heard both weigh in on this matter. I listen mostly to rock music that I have ripped from LPs...with some jazz and blues thrown in for good measure.

My ears eagerly await what you have to say! :)

Jun 26, 2013 at 5:35 PM Post #2 of 3
Quote:
Hi All,

I think my title says it all.

I own and love the AKG K702 open back phones, and I'm looking to acquire a set of closed phones to use as well. I love the sound and comfort afforded by the AKG K702, and I am hoping to duplicate both of these qualities with a closed pair.

I purchased a pair of Audio-Technica ATH-M50 after reading the "rave" reviews. They sound OK, but the fit is HORRIBLE! Those suckers feel like a vice grip on my ears - I can barely use them to get thru an entire album. So, I'm going to get rid of those a move on.

Seems logical to stay with the AKG line as I do enjoy the 702. They seem very well balanced thru the frequency range not favoring any one area in particular. I own Magnepan MG-12 speakers in my main rig and value them for this as well - I guess that is why I have been smitten with the 702s.

The question is, do I want the K271 or the H550? I've heard neither so I'm hoping some of you who own or have tried/heard both weigh in on this matter. I listen mostly to rock music that I have ripped from LPs...with some jazz and blues thrown in for good measure.

My ears eagerly await what you have to say! :)

I have all three. I personally love the k271mkii, but it is honestly not for outdoor. K550 is such a classy headphone. It is the only headphone that actually has some real style. The momentum and all other similar Beats contenders made by big factories are just a touch less classy than the k550. But if you really have to choose, I suggest k271mkii. It is cheaper, sound is much more analytical and clean, very unique. Closer to the k702 I would say.

Neither is good for your genre, which is odd cus you like the k702. I don't think akg cans are good for your genre. Still, bottom line is if you use it at home, k271mkii hands down. ifyou use it outside, where you can absolutely not use k702, then k550 hands down.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back