AKG K271 MK2 Ibasso D6
Feb 11, 2011 at 9:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 43

rblaster85

Head-Fier
I just ordered a pair of AKG K271 MK2 and an Ibasso D6 for use with my Ipod Classic 120gb,  I also picked up the Ibasso Ipod Line out adapter. I am wondering how to properly break in this gear (if i even have to). 

Feb 11, 2011 at 9:45 PM Post #2 of 43
I wouldn't worry about burning in. I'm still not entirely sold on the idea, I just enjoy my headphones right from the start.
biggrin.gif

Feb 11, 2011 at 11:05 PM Post #4 of 43
Pretty much any full size headphone case should be able to hold that stuff. I really liked the case below, when I tried it out. You may want to try it out, especially with its 30 day money back guarantee.

http://www.headphone.com/accessories/headcase-bag-w-shoulder-strap.php

Feb 17, 2011 at 4:31 PM Post #5 of 43
So I received my Head phones this afternoon. I still have not received my amp. I am wondering if I will damage the headphones if I run them off just my Ipod Classic until my amp comes in?

Feb 17, 2011 at 4:36 PM Post #6 of 43
No, you won't risk damaging your K271 playing them off your ipod or any other portable source.

Feb 17, 2011 at 10:14 PM Post #7 of 43
I have been listening to my headphones that I got today, and I have noticed that on some heavy bass songs the headphones actually distort. The songs are 320kbps, and I am running off just my macbook pro. My question is will this distortion go away when I have an amp connected? or is this just past what the headphones can handle? 

Feb 17, 2011 at 11:02 PM Post #8 of 43

Quote:
I have been listening to my headphones that I got today, and I have noticed that on some heavy bass songs the headphones actually distort. The songs are 320kbps, and I am running off just my macbook pro. My question is will this distortion go away when I have an amp connected? or is this just past what the headphones can handle? 

It depends if the distortion is in the source track, and it might be.  I think I ran my K271 off my Macbook Pro one time.  It seemed OK, but I didn't really pay attention.  I didn't notice any distortion though.

If you are applying EQ, disable it and see.

Feb 17, 2011 at 11:19 PM Post #9 of 43
just play it and enjoy the music.  Here's an unboxing I did if you are interested.  It may get you even more excited to get your hands on yours.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dXsOnw-HZrg

Feb 17, 2011 at 11:28 PM Post #10 of 43
Funny your video was the one I watched before I bought them, It pushed me over the fence. So far I am pretty happy with the head phones, they sound amazing. I guess I was expecting to be able to crank them up and not have any distortion. I turned off the EQ and the sound got better. I have a very cheap set of headphones ($12) and they play the songs no problem even have a lil bump to it. I am hoping that the phones are just underpowered and an amp will resolve the issue.

Feb 18, 2011 at 1:18 AM Post #11 of 43
I'm pretty happy with mine too. You may not want to try them with an amp because you may not go back. :)

Feb 18, 2011 at 1:25 AM Post #12 of 43
i have the 240 MkII which has the same driver as your 271 MkII, to get them to distort the volume would have to be at ear splitting levels,. i suspect it`s the sound card that's clipping or the source that is bad.

and no, no portable player can possibly dish out the current it takes to damage these phones.

as for burning in...i did notice some difference after a week or so of use, but it may just be in my head.

Feb 18, 2011 at 4:24 AM Post #13 of 43
I used to have a set of K271 Mk IIs with an amp/usb dac combo and you're not nearly exited enough. When your amp arrives, re-rip your favorite cd's to FLAC or Apple Lossless and have a listen - You'll be blown away :)

Feb 20, 2011 at 12:52 AM Post #14 of 43
Amp has still yet to come in however UPS tracking says its in the USA now so should be here any day. However after a couple of days listening to the headphones at work, turning off the EQ's on my macbook and Ipod, and ripping some more music to lossless I am very happy. The difference in sound between the lossless format and just mp3 is wild. It never crossed my mind that you would loose sound quality. Just ripped the best of Pink Floyd and listening to Shine on you crazy diamond is wonderful. I believe what I was experiencing before with the distortion was clipping on my Ipod because I had the volume almost all the way up (Same with my macbook). I now cannot wait till the amp comes.

Feb 20, 2011 at 11:18 PM Post #15 of 43
I have been having problems with converting music to ALAC. I have some FLAC files and I am using XLD to convert them from FLAC to ALAC, however when I listen to them in Itunes they don't sound any different than my existing mp3 of that song, and not nearly as good as some songs that I ripped directly off a CD to ALAC. Any suggestions?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back