AKG "K267 TIËSTO" - Discussion, Impressions & Review Thread
Mar 30, 2013 at 8:56 PM Post #916 of 1,152
Hello,

I am browsing the forum for over a year now and decided that today is the day to join officially.

I would like to express my impressions from the AKG K267 by Tiesto and why you should NOT buy them.

Here is a little background for me, I have some experience with Hi-Fi audio speakers and almost none in headphones. Due to the fact that I travel frequently it is no longer an option for me to use speakers, so I decided to invest in headphones. I was looking for headphones for over a year and then I found the K267.

What I was looking for in headphones was durability, removable cable, portability, over the ear and of course decent sounding. The K267 was advertised as a headphone that combined all of this features.

I started following this thread pretty much from the start, and even after there were mixed reviews I decided that I should give them a shot after all they were the perfect headphones for me on paper.

I bough them in the beginning of March and my first impressions were really big and comfortable headphones, impressive sound, and the built quality looked great.

I was able to drive them easily with my iPod Touch 3G and the ALACs sounded great on them I was really pleased with the result. I mainly listen to Metal and EDM and sometimes other genres when I am in the mood.  I cannot get into details describing how they sounded, for me the quality was great I was able to adjust them for different types of music and I was able to take them anywhere with me. After maybe 100 hours of music the sound quality improved it became more detailed and there was more noticeable difference when switching between the bass options unlike in the begging.

But today everything came to an end. The super durable DJ headphone K267 broke. It turns out that even tough they are advertised as durable they are not that much. I hardly treated them as a DJ does, I used them with extra care and was super protective towards them but today after a simple routine putting them from around my neck to my head the left can broke just above the hinge it turns out that the aluminum is actually for design rather that construction and durability. 

I will now try to replace them because here it is not really an option to return a product after such a long time.
I know that this does not really focused on the sound quality but for me it is really important people to know that the price is too much and the quality is too low.
I am frustrated and I would like to excuse myself this happened 4-5 hours ago. 
And of course I can provide photos if someone is interested.

Kind regard,
Peter Petrov
A disappointed K267 owner

Mar 30, 2013 at 9:52 PM Post #917 of 1,152
@sh3p1,

Greetings, and I'm sorry about your headphones.
Although I'm a big AKG fan, I admit their hinge mechanism can be a bit iffy sometimes.
I suspect the "3D axis" hinges have particularly high pressure on a small area, often
plastic in construction, that cause them to break even through normal use..
I currently own the AKG K518, which has a similar hinge mechanism.
Although it feels solid in the hands, I can imagine it falling apart when I stretch it
to put it over my head

Hearing your case also makes me quite disappointed. Especially since many describe
the sound to be fantastic.

Mar 30, 2013 at 11:33 PM Post #918 of 1,152
When I had the 267, the hinge mechanism was cheap plastic. It felt flimsy and creaked everytime I turned or stretched the band to put them on my head. I dont think they sound 'fantastic'. They sounded decent-good. Good thing i decided to return them when i was able to.

Mar 31, 2013 at 5:16 AM Post #920 of 1,152
Why does this breakage remind me of the SRH940,840,750.....

Mar 31, 2013 at 7:22 AM Post #921 of 1,152
Has anyone done a comparison between the 267/167 and the m100 yet?
Been spending a lot of time with the 167 lately, and the hinge is annoying. But the biggest surprise is the microphonics on the cable. Never heard anything like it. Not that noticeable with music playing, but without it, I hear every contact with the wife amplified. For the price they should have come with a removable cable.

Mar 31, 2013 at 12:40 PM Post #922 of 1,152
Quote:
Has anyone done a comparison between the 267/167 and the m100 yet?
Been spending a lot of time with the 167 lately, and the hinge is annoying. But the biggest surprise is the microphonics on the cable. Never heard anything like it. Not that noticeable with music playing, but without it, I hear every contact with the wife amplified. For the price they should have come with a removable cable.

If you look at activity on this thread vs. the M-100 thread in terms of content, longevity, number of posts and pace of posts, I consider this telling regarding the superiority of the M-100 over the Tiestos.  While I have not heard the Tiestos, I am a big M-100 fan.  The M-100 also has a removable cable with inputs on both sides and even a mini plug to cover the open port to equalize isolation.

Mar 31, 2013 at 1:16 PM Post #923 of 1,152
Yeah, that's precisely not an informed comparison, though. I know what the spec sheets say. I'm curious about the sound profiles. I have been happy with the sound of the 167,and am curious to hear the thoughts of someone who has listened to both. The m100 are not without their detractors, and I'm croissant I'd find the pads not deep enough, given that I had that issue with the 167.

Apr 3, 2013 at 9:03 AM Post #924 of 1,152
Quote:
Hello,

I am browsing the forum for over a year now and decided that today is the day to join officially.

I would like to express my impressions from the AKG K267 by Tiesto and why you should NOT buy them.

Here is a little background for me, I have some experience with Hi-Fi audio speakers and almost none in headphones. Due to the fact that I travel frequently it is no longer an option for me to use speakers, so I decided to invest in headphones. I was looking for headphones for over a year and then I found the K267.

What I was looking for in headphones was durability, removable cable, portability, over the ear and of course decent sounding. The K267 was advertised as a headphone that combined all of this features.

I started following this thread pretty much from the start, and even after there were mixed reviews I decided that I should give them a shot after all they were the perfect headphones for me on paper.

I bough them in the beginning of March and my first impressions were really big and comfortable headphones, impressive sound, and the built quality looked great.

I was able to drive them easily with my iPod Touch 3G and the ALACs sounded great on them I was really pleased with the result. I mainly listen to Metal and EDM and sometimes other genres when I am in the mood.  I cannot get into details describing how they sounded, for me the quality was great I was able to adjust them for different types of music and I was able to take them anywhere with me. After maybe 100 hours of music the sound quality improved it became more detailed and there was more noticeable difference when switching between the bass options unlike in the begging.

But today everything came to an end. The super durable DJ headphone K267 broke. It turns out that even tough they are advertised as durable they are not that much. I hardly treated them as a DJ does, I used them with extra care and was super protective towards them but today after a simple routine putting them from around my neck to my head the left can broke just above the hinge it turns out that the aluminum is actually for design rather that construction and durability. 

I will now try to replace them because here it is not really an option to return a product after such a long time.
I know that this does not really focused on the sound quality but for me it is really important people to know that the price is too much and the quality is too low.
I am frustrated and I would like to excuse myself this happened 4-5 hours ago. 
And of course I can provide photos if someone is interested.

Kind regard,
Peter Petrov
A disappointed K267 owner

Sorry to hear that Peter.  Have you contacted AKG for warranty?

Apr 3, 2013 at 7:55 PM Post #925 of 1,152
Sorry to hear that Peter.  Have you contacted AKG for warranty?

I gave them back to the retailer which sold them to me. He will contact AKG and they will probably replace them, but the sad part is that I will probably have to wait two or three weeks.

BTW I am not sure if you are the same person from YouTube, but I bought them after I watched your unboxing of the whole Tiesto line and I must say great job.

Apr 3, 2013 at 10:28 PM Post #926 of 1,152
Quote:
I gave them back to the retailer which sold them to me. He will contact AKG and they will probably replace them, but the sad part is that I will probably have to wait two or three weeks.

BTW I am not sure if you are the same person from YouTube, but I bought them after I watched your unboxing of the whole Tiesto line and I must say great job.

Please keep us posted on how progress.  

Thank you for watching my videos. :)

Apr 4, 2013 at 3:01 AM Post #927 of 1,152
For those interested in K267 frequency data and other technical data, Golden Ears finally did measurement.

http://en.goldenears.net/17183

For anyone who are very deeply interested in how K550 and K551 compare to K267, here are measurements from the same site.

http://en.goldenears.net/17012

http://en.goldenears.net/index.php?mid=GR_Headphones&search_target=title&search_keyword=k550&document_srl=13746

Yes, K550 and K551, unlike other AKG cases, they are rather different phone, with one can see massive, significant improvement for K551 from K550.

That said, I think K551 just dethrones Kenwood K1000 as best sounding closed cans ever (thus I have K551 on my head right now.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back