AKG "K267 TIËSTO" - Discussion, Impressions & Review Thread
Feb 16, 2013 at 10:10 AM Post #901 of 1,152
I'll give a quick little review on what it does.

For one, the seal on these is just... ludicrous. Between the stiff Shure pads on the bottom and the very squishy, suction-y AKG pads on top, the level of noise attenuation that these provide is just insane. I tried a Bose QC15 once, and I would go as far as to say that this gets very, very close to that level of noise attenuation. Weirdly, though, they seem to do more isolation of bass and mids than they do of highs, which in my experience is the exact opposite of how most headphones isolate.

I first tried to do this with two Shure pads, and the clamp on the cans was just unbearable, and I felt that the headband assembly was going to snap in two every time I put them on. Once I switched to Shure-on-AKG (and effectively destroying both pads for normal usage at the same time), the clamp became very comfortable and the very light density of the AKG foam became a positive.

The bass is vastly improved when this mod is performed. Since these seal so effectively, the bass just pops up in the mix, and is very well-controlled and extends deeper than normal.

Feb 16, 2013 at 1:06 PM Post #902 of 1,152
Quote:
I'll give a quick little review on what it does.

For one, the seal on these is just... ludicrous. Between the stiff Shure pads on the bottom and the very squishy, suction-y AKG pads on top, the level of noise attenuation that these provide is just insane. I tried a Bose QC15 once, and I would go as far as to say that this gets very, very close to that level of noise attenuation. Weirdly, though, they seem to do more isolation of bass and mids than they do of highs, which in my experience is the exact opposite of how most headphones isolate.

I first tried to do this with two Shure pads, and the clamp on the cans was just unbearable, and I felt that the headband assembly was going to snap in two every time I put them on. Once I switched to Shure-on-AKG (and effectively destroying both pads for normal usage at the same time), the clamp became very comfortable and the very light density of the AKG foam became a positive.

The bass is vastly improved when this mod is performed. Since these seal so effectively, the bass just pops up in the mix, and is very well-controlled and extends deeper than normal.

That's really funny.  I'm tempted to try it myself.

Feb 17, 2013 at 1:56 PM Post #903 of 1,152
First of all thank you for the reply.
I am an owner of the akg k 518DJ. And a week ago i had a chance to listen to the AKG K550 ...very impressing sound quality 
basshead.gif
 but they're sadly too big for my head
So my first question is: how would u rank the AKG K167 between the K550 and K518DJ?
Also i have to ask: could you explain me the difference between a "W"-signature and a "V"-signature?

The M100's are too expensiv here in germany 
frown.gif

And with witch portable amp's did u use them? That's pretty sad to hear that a 130€ amp (Fiio E12) doesn't helps much...

I'm used to hear mainly (vocal)Trance und Hip-Hop/Rap (Men's vocal)

P.S.: I'm sorry for my bad english and my noob knowledge :D

Feb 17, 2013 at 9:11 PM Post #904 of 1,152
Quote:
quote.gif

Horrible phone picture but I don't feel like breaking out the dSLR at 11:30 PM.

I have to admit the modern almost "bauhaus" look is quite pleasing.

Mar 8, 2013 at 10:25 PM Post #906 of 1,152
The folding mechanism on the K*67 is a fraud. It really doesn't do much of anything except compromise the build strength.

I would not recommend putting the K*67 in a bag. The plastic is pretty fragile and bendy and I don't think it will survive being put in a bag.

Mar 8, 2013 at 10:59 PM Post #907 of 1,152
Seems like AKG didn't hit a home run with Tiesto line. Pretty sad as K550 has quite a potential and just needs a few tweaks. Guess they hoped for quick bucks riding on Tiesto popularity wave, not much serious R&D.

Mar 9, 2013 at 12:07 AM Post #908 of 1,152
The folding mechanism on the K*67 is a fraud. It really doesn't do much of anything except compromise the build strength.

I would not recommend putting the K*67 in a bag. The plastic is pretty fragile and bendy and I don't think it will survive being put in a bag.

Thank you, are the K167 that much better than the DT 770 Limited Edition? I hope you don't mind giving a little comparison. I'm more interested in detail of sound and accurateness.

Mar 10, 2013 at 12:18 AM Post #909 of 1,152
Thank you, are the K167 that much better than the DT 770 Limited Edition? I hope you don't mind giving a little comparison. I'm more interested in detail of sound and accurateness.

When I compared the two side by side when I owned them, I preferred the sound of the K167.

However, the K167 just has too many build quality problems for me to recommend. The earpads turn to mush within a week, and the plastic is cheap and super creaky. The DT770 is only slightly behind the K167 in SQ anyways, but floors it in essentially every other area.

Mar 11, 2013 at 1:27 PM Post #910 of 1,152
Quote:

When I compared the two side by side when I owned them, I preferred the sound of the K167.

However, the K167 just has too many build quality problems for me to recommend. The earpads turn to mush within a week, and the plastic is cheap and super creaky. The DT770 is only slightly behind the K167 in SQ anyways, but floors it in essentially every other area.

I think the way this forum has withered says a great deal about the K267.

Mar 11, 2013 at 3:05 PM Post #911 of 1,152
Quote:

I will sort of disagree with Tus on the 167-- I bring them back and forth to work every day, and find them to be much more convenient to transport than my DT-990 (which is why I bought them).  I carry them in my backpack, which has a good spot for them so they don't get banged around too much, and my commute is not a particularly rough one (no public transit, banging around the subway/bus), but still the ability to fold flat gives them a leg up on the DT 770 IMO (not comparing sound here, since I don't own those, but they are the same form factor as the 990).  I would not trust the K167 to take much of a beating, and I do try to treat them with care both because they seem a tiny bit fragile and because of the cost.

Still would love to hear the M-100, and I almost bit on the M-80 when it was cheap on Amazon a few weeks ago, but after trying them on in the store I found them to get uncomfortable quickly due to the compression in the pads. 

Mar 11, 2013 at 7:02 PM Post #912 of 1,152

I would not trust the K167 to take much of a beating, and I do try to treat them with care both because they seem a tiny bit fragile and because of the cost.

At least with Beyerdynamics, all the parts are replaceable and user-repairable. No such thing is possible with the 167.

It's a shame that they decided to split up between the 167 and the 267. They should have combined all the positives of both models into one headphone and sold it at halfway in the price point. The 167 is too cheaply built and the 267 is too expensive.

Mar 11, 2013 at 11:45 PM Post #913 of 1,152
when the K267 costs the same as a HD650 and a little less than a T70, that's pretty expensive

Mar 12, 2013 at 8:44 AM Post #914 of 1,152
Quote:

At least with Beyerdynamics, all the parts are replaceable and user-repairable. No such thing is possible with the 167.

It's a shame that they decided to split up between the 167 and the 267. They should have combined all the positives of both models into one headphone and sold it at halfway in the price point. The 167 is too cheaply built and the 267 is too expensive.

A replaceable cable on the 167 would be fantastic.  But I think any comparison between the 770 and the 167 that doesn't account for the easy portability of the latter and the difficultly in using the former on the go is incomplete.  The 167's folding mechanism is a bit tricky to get the hang of, but once they're folded, it's like carrying around nothing.  It's not the best if you're going to be pulling them out of a bag constantly, but they're DJ cans, so not really aimed at commuter-type use.  

I agree that the pricing on the 267's a bit on the absurd side, especially if the sound difference between it ad the 167 isn't too pronounced.  Currently, it's only marked $50 off of list, where the 167 is at $100 off list.  The K67 seems like a good purchase at $80. 

Mar 13, 2013 at 6:38 PM Post #915 of 1,152
Quote:

It died faster than the HD700. Has anyone done a side by side A/B comparison of the 167 and 267? I mean, if the 267 has a larger driver, there must be some sort of difference in sound, no?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back