AKG K240STUDIO in terms of flexibility
Nov 10, 2010 at 7:54 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

DomaPhone

New Head-Fier
I'm sorry for not posting very much on the forum anymore. I'll be more active in the coming months.

More importantly; I'm looking to buy headphones about in the 100USD area, and I've become fixed on these. I want something with which I could enjoy definitely electronic music. Right now I have Sennhesier HD25 1 II's and Sony MDR-V500's. The Sony's, unfortunately, have flat sound and disappointingly inadequate bass. I'm looking for something I could use to blast electronic music. I listen to The Beatles, Simon & Garfunkel, Boards of Canada, a lot of electronica (mainly Daft Punk-central bands and minimal), Classical, and Coldplay. I also really enjoy Drum n' Bass. 

Because I have the Senns, I can listen to more detailed stuff while being pretty confident on quality. But, disregarding that, how do the AKG's stand up to flexibility? Could they accent the nuances of classical as well as the nuances of electronica and everything in between or on different spectrums? 

Thank you

PS: I do not listen to any rock aside from Coldplay and The Beatles. However, I would not include either of those bands in the Rock mold. 

Nov 10, 2010 at 10:59 AM Post #2 of 7
I've found the k240 to be one of the rare headphones that's good for any type of music. They're especially good to my ears for electronic music and classical. They also have the third best vocal quality out of anything i've tried under $200 if that matters. The other ones are worse overall due to average or poor fit and poor soundstage. Drums sound amazing on the k240 and I miss that when I put on my k601. I think the Yoshida Brothers sounds best on the k240 compared to even my D2000 and k601. I have one "Board of Canada" CD and that seems to be a perfect match for something like the k240 or the Shure SRH-840. There's a decent amount of bass on the k240, but nothing like that of say the 750DJ, D2000 or M50.

Another idea is to try the Shure SRH-750DJ. They're a bit more expensive, but they're supposed to be very good for electronic music. I myself hate them though and they are NOWHERE near neutral. k240 would have a more balanced sound and won't have bass overkill.

k240 Studio is one of my favorite cheap headphones and I think most people would like them. For smaller Ipods though an amp is needed unfortunately. They're fairly hard to drive, but my Ipod Touch can drive them OK if I max out the volume. Even a cheap $20 E5 might work.

Nov 10, 2010 at 11:10 AM Post #3 of 7
Yes, they may be cheap in price, but there's nothing cheap about the SQ of the K240 Studio. 
beyersmile.png

Nov 10, 2010 at 2:40 PM Post #5 of 7
@tdockweiler: thanks for the review, I appreciate it. And yeah, the K240's seem like a good choice here. I have a NAD 3225PE amp and an Audio 2 DJ from native instruments, so I'll be using the K240's at home and the HD25's on the move, probably. However I will probably use them interchangeably for DJing; the HD25's when using speakers, the K240's when just mixing on headphones in the bedroom.

And thanks Danz and lejaz for the reassurances. 

Nov 10, 2010 at 2:57 PM Post #6 of 7
The Audio 2 DJ will drive the 240 MKll, and even will add some amount of bass. But still the MKll are studio hps and not DJ hps, and it's hard to compare them to the 25ll.

You'll need to check them out before you buy them, as well you can try the Ultrasone Pro/PL-650, or the GMP 8.35 D monitor.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back