AKG K240 Studio | Comparison & Review
Jun 14, 2013 at 12:50 AM Post #16 of 19
The k240 is a very strange headphone, i can definitely hear a difference when changing cables, the coiled one sounds clearer and brighter to my ears.

About the pads, the pleather one sounds brighter and more distant in comparison to the velours, because it's deeper and your ears are further away from the drivers. The velours has a shallower fit, and the holes (like kman said) is smaller (more uncomfortable). I can get a better fit with it, so it sounds warmer and bassier in comparison to the pleathers, but the funny thing is, the treble seems a little more edgy and harsher (WTH?).

To my ears, the k240 still has a V shape FR, the treble is quite bright (different from what people say), my shure srh440 suffers from the same problem, a peak in the 10khz region, but i can feel it's less prominent and it sounds quite dark in comparison. Maybe i need a better or darker source, or i need to mess with the pleather pads and try to get a better fit (closer to my ears).

Jun 14, 2013 at 12:02 PM Post #17 of 19
Quote:
The k240 is a very strange headphone, i can definitely hear a difference when changing cables, the coiled one sounds clearer and brighter to my ears.

About the pads, the pleather one sounds brighter and more distant in comparison to the velours, because it's deeper and your ears are further away from the drivers. The velours has a shallower fit, and the holes (like kman said) is smaller (more uncomfortable). I can get a better fit with it, so it sounds warmer and bassier in comparison to the pleathers, but the funny thing is, the treble seems a little more edgy and harsher (WTH?).

To my ears, the k240 still has a V shape FR, the treble is quite bright (different from what people say), my shure srh440 suffers from the same problem, a peak in the 10khz region, but i can feel it's less prominent and it sounds quite dark in comparison. Maybe i need a better or darker source, or i need to mess with the pleather pads and try to get a better fit (closer to my ears).

Yes, it is, how well it scales up is freaky for a headphone it's price, I think it really is the best headphone below $200, but it takes a lot of work to bring it out it's full potential since it's so picky and fickle with systems and honestly I don't think it's really a headphone for beginners like some say it is because it's hard to get it to sound it's best. But when you bring out the full potential of the headphone, I think it's better than headphones that cost a good deal more, I prefer the K240 to the DT 880/900, HD 600/650, and the Q701 for example. I thought the coiled was slightly brighter, clearer, and also a little bassier, but also the treble was less harsh on it, so it was more tolerable to me, although it never caused fatigue I found it kind of annoying at times. The K240s are actually slightly on the bright side, although it sound bright, neutral, or dark depending on the system.

The velour ones have a more intimate and bassy sound but also are harsher.

Once you get a better system and cables behind them, the midrange and bass are more present and the treble tames, making the headphone tilt towards the darker and warmer side, it's actually a very warm and mid heavy headphone when it has it's potential brought out. Mine has become much less bright and sibilant, it's actually pretty much gone except on the most sibilant and bright recordings which even dark Senns can sound somewhat sibilant on, a better and smoother amp will completely get rid of the treble harshness altogether. One problem with velours is that they are little too bassy now. It seems once you get a better system behind them, the pleathers sound the better and more neutral of the two, you also notice it has a better soundstage and imaging than the velours.

Jun 17, 2013 at 4:13 PM Post #18 of 19
Yes, it is, how well it scales up is freaky for a headphone it's price, I think it really is the best headphone below $200, but it takes a lot of work to bring it out it's full potential since it's so picky and fickle with systems and honestly I don't think it's really a headphone for beginners like some say it is because it's hard to get it to sound it's best. But when you bring out the full potential of the headphone, I think it's better than headphones that cost a good deal more, I prefer the K240 to the DT 880/900, HD 600/650, and the Q701 for example. I thought the coiled was slightly brighter, clearer, and also a little bassier, but also the treble was less harsh on it, so it was more tolerable to me, although it never caused fatigue I found it kind of annoying at times. The K240s are actually slightly on the bright side, although it sound bright, neutral, or dark depending on the system.

The velour ones have a more intimate and bassy sound but also are harsher.

Once you get a better system and cables behind them, the midrange and bass are more present and the treble tames, making the headphone tilt towards the darker and warmer side, it's actually a very warm and mid heavy headphone when it has it's potential brought out. Mine has become much less bright and sibilant, it's actually pretty much gone except on the most sibilant and bright recordings which even dark Senns can sound somewhat sibilant on, a better and smoother amp will completely get rid of the treble harshness altogether. One problem with velours is that they are little too bassy now. It seems once you get a better system behind them, the pleathers sound the better and more neutral of the two, you also notice it has a better soundstage and imaging than the velours.
Well those are definitely bold claims.

BTW does anyone have exact measurements of the akg k240 velour ear pads diameter size in cm?.(pleather is a little bigger) I measured 5.4 but wasn't sure if I was measuring right.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back