AKG k167 vs Shure SRH840 vs ATH M50
Mar 12, 2013 at 3:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

shuman0101

100+ Head-Fier
Hey guys, first time poster here and newbie when it comes to audio equipment. I'm in the market for a new pair of headphones for under 180$ ideally and I've kinda narrowed it down to three choices. 

AKG Tiesto K167
Shure SRH840
ATH M50

I listen to a lot of music, but mainly;

Electronic music ( drum n bass, liquid drum n bass and house) - e.g :- Netsky, Nervo and hook, Tim berg, some deamau5.
Indie rock - e.g :- Good old war, arctic monkeys, bombay bicycle club etc.
Classical guitar music - e.g :- Mason williams, igor from youtube ( mainly a lot of classical and steel string guitar music)

I want a pair of headphones that not only sound good but also look nice so I can wear them around without being too embarrassed about how they look. I don't want a pair of flashy or brand name headphones but just a pair that doesn't look too horrible, which is part of why I've not considered DT770s at all. I'd prefer a neutral sound signature with respectable bass and not so bright mids, although bass isn't much of a big deal for me. I've never actually listened through any of the headphones I've mentioned above yet and I picked them out after skimming through some threads on this site, so if one of them doesn't suit my style of music then please be sure to say so. 

I apologize for the long post, but I wanted to keep everything organised. Thanks in advance :)

Mar 12, 2013 at 3:55 PM Post #2 of 28
Not even close on sound if you ask me, especially for your genre of music: Tiesto AKG167

HOWEVER...these things are fragile. Mine cracked at hinge after 40 days (amazon accepted return with no restocking fee). It appears this is not an isolated problem. Very unfortunate that this is the case because these things sound awesome. With that being said, I would go with ATHM50 as it better suits your genre and is a very hearty headphone (can take a beating)

Mar 12, 2013 at 4:15 PM Post #3 of 28
Quote:
Not even close on sound if you ask me, especially for your genre of music: Tiesto AKG167

HOWEVER...these things are fragile. Mine cracked at hinge after 40 days (amazon accepted return with no restocking fee). It appears this is not an isolated problem. Very unfortunate that this is the case because these things sound awesome. With that being said, I would go with ATHM50 as it better suits your genre and is a very hearty headphone (can take a beating)

Ah, that's quite important for me as I want them to be durable because I'm probably going to end up taking them everywhere. That really sucks though, because they look fantastic as well.

What do you think guys think about Klipsch? or V moda crossfade LP2?

Mar 12, 2013 at 4:25 PM Post #4 of 28
If you want a neutral sound the m50's wont be the best option, and especially the LP2's, they are both pretty bass heavy. The klipsch m40's ( I'm guessing you meant those) are so-so, they are average in terms of SQ, and noise cancelling is pretty bad. In my opinion, of the SRH840 would offer the best, and most balanced, sound of all the options.

Mar 12, 2013 at 5:23 PM Post #5 of 28
Take a look at Pioneer HDJ 2000's,
they are slim-profile, neutral for a "DJ" labeled headphone, slightly withdrawn in highs,
but very clear and crisp in sound.
Magnesium and rubberized in construction, ~200 on amazon

Mar 12, 2013 at 5:26 PM Post #6 of 28
Quote:
If you want a neutral sound the m50's wont be the best option, and especially the LP2's, they are both pretty bass heavy. The klipsch m40's ( I'm guessing you meant those) are so-so, they are average in terms of SQ, and noise cancelling is pretty bad. In my opinion, of the SRH840 would offer the best, and most balanced, sound of all the options.

Do the M50's and/or the LP2's drown out the sound quality with the heavy bass?

Mar 12, 2013 at 5:51 PM Post #7 of 28
Quote:
Take a look at Pioneer HDJ 2000's,
they are slim-profile, neutral for a "DJ" labeled headphone, slightly withdrawn in highs,
but very clear and crisp in sound.
Magnesium and rubberized in construction, ~200 on amazon

By the looks of it they seem like a very good headphones, but 250$ is way over budget for me, unfortunately.

Mar 12, 2013 at 6:04 PM Post #8 of 28
Th best SQ out of your choice is the SRH-840 with creamy mids. The ATH-M50 definately have better build and the K167 carries some sibilants. 

Hope this help :)
Billson

Mar 12, 2013 at 6:14 PM Post #9 of 28
Quote:
Th best SQ out of your choice is the SRH-840 with creamy mids. The ATH-M50 definately have better build and the K167 carries some sibilants. 

Hope this help :)
Billson

Hey mate, I read through your review that pitched the k167 vs the SRH840 and k167 won in both sound quality and build quality, which are the two most important things for me. Have you changed your mind since then?

http://www.head-fi.org/t/647465/mystery-unclosed-ultimate-ears-ue6000-vs-sennheiser-momentum-vs-sony-mdr-1r-vs-akg-k550-vs-shure-srh-840-vs-akg-k167-update-sennheiser-hd598

Mar 12, 2013 at 6:16 PM Post #10 of 28
I haven't heard the Shure SRH840

but I did prefer the AKG K167 to the m50s, it seemed like there was more depth in the bass than the ath m50s.
but as others have said, yes they are made of plastic, My akg k167's didn't break (when I had them) but they didn't look very durable or feel it and I really didn't feel comfortable long term with them (i babied them just in case). I've had my m50s for 9+months and they still feel very strong/durable.

there used to be an akg k167 appreciation thread and Miow had alot to say about the akg k167, but I think it might've gotten locked up.

Mar 12, 2013 at 10:37 PM Post #11 of 28
Quote:
I haven't heard the Shure SRH840

but I did prefer the AKG K167 to the m50s, it seemed like there was more depth in the bass than the ath m50s.
but as others have said, yes they are made of plastic, My akg k167's didn't break (when I had them) but they didn't look very durable or feel it and I really didn't feel comfortable long term with them (i babied them just in case). I've had my m50s for 9+months and they still feel very strong/durable.

there used to be an akg k167 appreciation thread and Miow had alot to say about the akg k167, but I think it might've gotten locked up.

Thanks for the info, I've eliminated the SRH840 because it's too expensive for me and I've narrowed it down to m50 vs k167. I'm about to pull the trigger for the K167 because they seem to be praised so heavily when it comes to sound and I really like the way they look. Unless anyone can convince me otherwise, I think my bank account will have 145$ less in about an hour or so :p

Mar 12, 2013 at 11:03 PM Post #12 of 28
HFI-580. The bass is very strong but it is only there when needed. Mids are slightly recessed. Highs are crisp and detailed although i experienced some annoying distortion from bad sources. 
They are not the best looking headphones but I really don't mind wearing them walking around. 

Mar 13, 2013 at 2:48 AM Post #13 of 28
Quote:
Hey mate, I read through your review that pitched the k167 vs the SRH840 and k167 won in both sound quality and build quality, which are the two most important things for me. Have you changed your mind since then?

http://www.head-fi.org/t/647465/mystery-unclosed-ultimate-ears-ue6000-vs-sennheiser-momentum-vs-sony-mdr-1r-vs-akg-k550-vs-shure-srh-840-vs-akg-k167-update-sennheiser-hd598

Hey! 

Sorry about that. The K167 are better overall but it is no good with classical. The bass are slightly too much for it and the mids are creamier on the Shure for piano to me. The K167 on the other hand are better for electronic, pop, etc. ho

pe this help :)

Mar 13, 2013 at 3:37 AM Post #14 of 28
From your music selection it seems like you would like the M50s, but you seem to want a more balanced headphone, so they are a bit out of the question because they are a base-head phone.  If you want balanced with good sound quality and build quality Fostex T50RP is an option but the issue is that it doesn't look all too good and also the cable has a 1/4" jack so it isn't exactly portable.  The other issue is that you have to mod them(well you don't have to, but they sound so much better if you do), but if you want the best balanced SQ than I would highly suggest these.  Otherwise I would go with the Shures.  Hope this helps a bit.  

Mar 13, 2013 at 3:40 AM Post #15 of 28
the srh840 sound very precise but lack impact. Expect to turn the volume up in order to feel the beat slam into you, in which case the rest of the sound also becomes louder, which defeats the whole purpose to begin with...

On the other hand, they're REALLY clear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back