AKG K167 TIËSTO - Discussion, Impression, Review & Appreciation Thread
Jan 9, 2013 at 9:52 PM Post #1,456 of 1,489
Nice stuff
wink.gif

Jan 10, 2013 at 1:30 AM Post #1,457 of 1,489
Quote:
Can sombody compare the AKG K 167 with the Beyerdynamics DT 770 80 Ohm, i already have the 770's, but want to know how they sound compared to the 167's because the K 167 is more exspensive where i live. but anyways i'm gonna use them for portable purposes if i buy them :) 

DT770 has more bass quantity than the K167.  The K167 mids are more forward compared to the DT770.  I like the vocals and detail on the K167 better.
Although for portabilty the DT770 are kinda big and can't fold down, I think they would be a better choice for durability.  You can't really have the K167 around your neck comfortably as the headband is more compact and is like a choke hold.

Jan 10, 2013 at 8:30 AM Post #1,459 of 1,489
Quote:
Can you tell me how the comfort level is, can you wear them for hours ? does they feel good to have on ? and how good is the sound quality overall ? 

This has been mentioned pretty often-- some people find them very comfortable, others have said that the pads are too shallow.  I'm in the latter category-- after about an hour or so, the pads compress too much.  Also, I agree with PFULMTAL above-- these things will choke you if you try to wear them around the neck.  They're not great to walk around with for that reason, IMO. 

I'm still waiting on a head-to-head comparison between these and the M-100.  The M-100 seem to have a leg up in ergonomics and build quality, but some people have reported similar comfort issues with the pads on those as well.  If anyone has heard both, I would appreciate your thoughts. 

Jan 10, 2013 at 8:45 AM Post #1,460 of 1,489
Its a no go around the neck for me, but I haven't found a pair that I like that way.

Comfort for me is fantastic for an hour. After that, I need to lift them off my head for a few seconds to refresh the head/ears. I did run in to a headache this past week when I wore them for about 3hrs, but I am yet unsure if that was due to loud music or the work I was doing that caused that. I hadn't experienced that prior to this even in longer listening sessions.

I still loove the cord and sound on my ipod classic with e11. I also like the sound via my dell corporate laptop. That is really the only 2 ways I listen. I'm still pretty easy on these as I don't want to risk a broken set.

Jan 10, 2013 at 9:32 AM Post #1,462 of 1,489
No. 1hr I have zero problems and are comfy. The first 5 or so times after 3 hrs I again found them very comy. 1 time I got a headache after about 3 times and am yet usure if its the fit or just a headache from the work I was doing

Jan 10, 2013 at 9:52 AM Post #1,463 of 1,489
Quote:

Well, the Pro 500 is $400 and made of glossy plastic. I feel uncomfortable enough paying $150 for a headphone made of plastic, much less $400.

Headband cover and outer frame are plastic, but the driver housings are solid metal. These are heavy headphones. Probably same weight at the PS1000.

Jan 10, 2013 at 9:57 AM Post #1,464 of 1,489
I've heard the M-100's and was really disappointed that the bass was boomy.  The build quality is amazing though.  I didn't use them long enough to report on any comfort issues.  They sound similar to the K618, but triple the price for durability.

This has been mentioned pretty often-- some people find them very comfortable, others have said that the pads are too shallow.  I'm in the latter category-- after about an hour or so, the pads compress too much.  Also, I agree with PFULMTAL above-- these things will choke you if you try to wear them around the neck.  They're not great to walk around with for that reason, IMO. 

I'm still waiting on a head-to-head comparison between these and the M-100.  The M-100 seem to have a leg up in ergonomics and build quality, but some people have reported similar comfort issues with the pads on those as well.  If anyone has heard both, I would appreciate your thoughts. 

Jan 10, 2013 at 11:23 AM Post #1,468 of 1,489
Quote:
I've heard the M-100's and was really disappointed that the bass was boomy.  The build quality is amazing though.  I didn't use them long enough to report on any comfort issues.  They sound similar to the K618, but triple the price for durability.

Thanks.  I tried the M-80 and found the on-ear design uncomfortable (shallow cushions on those as well), which was disappointing, because the sound was very detailed--- bass not overpowering, clear, ect.  I tried the Amperiors as well, really liked them but thought the price was a bit too high.  

Jan 10, 2013 at 3:31 PM Post #1,469 of 1,489
Headband cover and outer frame are plastic, but the driver housings are solid metal. These are heavy headphones. Probably same weight at the PS1000.

Not to be a jerk or anything, but you're really not helping sell these cans. 
tongue.gif
 <3

That's essentially the worst of both worlds. You get smudges, chips, and cracks on the outer shell, which looks bad, and then they're just as heavy as if they were made out of metal.

Also, they measure really weirdly in frequency response.

This headphone basically seems to be an awkward fusion of the Beats Pro and Beats Studio.

Even the frequency response of the PRO 500 is uncannily similar to the Studios.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back