AKG K167 TIËSTO - Discussion, Impression, Review & Appreciation Thread
Dec 16, 2012 at 12:17 AM Post #1,036 of 1,489
Quote:

This is music to my ears.  I'm looking for a replacement for my SR225i's due to lack of bass.

Since you are apparently a fan of the Grado mids and upper frequencies - I'm assuming, then you could easily be pleased by the K167.  I've had Grados up, down, left and right, and even now, I can no longer listen to them.  I bought the HF-2 that was the special run of Grados used a few months back.  I put them up for sale the next day.

Quote:

According to Mr. wje above that DOES NOT work for AKG, they "double the performance of the SR225i's". It's on the second post, first page.

Correct.  I do not work for AKG, Harman companies, nor any industry affiliated with audio or music what-so-ever.  However, I will still stand behind my original statement that I made, which you quoted.  Keep in mind, the K167 will not be all things to all people.  The K167 headphone is a "fun" headphone.  It may not be the right headphone for someone who is looking for a very accurate, flat-ruler frequency headphone.  Again, emphasis is on the word "Fun."  I not only think that the K167 is worth twice the price of the SR-225i when it comes to performance, but I'll even go further to state that I think it's better, or more "fun" sounding than the Grado RS-1, which sells at $699 (retail.)  I've listened to the Allesandro MS-Pro for an extended week of listening, and I've recently heard the Grado RS-1, too.  I'm just happy to use my K167s, as well as my HE-400s and my modified Fostex headphones.  They all have a purpose in my "big picture."  
wink.gif

Dec 16, 2012 at 4:40 AM Post #1,041 of 1,489
Quote:

Since you are apparently a fan of the Grado mids and upper frequencies - I'm assuming, then you could easily be pleased by the K167.  I've had Grados up, down, left and right, and even now, I can no longer listen to them.  I bought the HF-2 that was the special run of Grados used a few months back.  I put them up for sale the next day.

Correct.  I do not work for AKG, Harman companies, nor any industry affiliated with audio or music what-so-ever.  However, I will still stand behind my original statement that I made, which you quoted.  Keep in mind, the K167 will not be all things to all people.  The K167 headphone is a "fun" headphone.  It may not be the right headphone for someone who is looking for a very accurate, flat-ruler frequency headphone.  Again, emphasis is on the word "Fun."  I not only think that the K167 is worth twice the price of the SR-225i when it comes to performance, but I'll even go further to state that I think it's better, or more "fun" sounding than the Grado RS-1, which sells at $699 (retail.)  I've listened to the Allesandro MS-Pro for an extended week of listening, and I've recently heard the Grado RS-1, too.  I'm just happy to use my K167s, as well as my HE-400s and my modified Fostex headphones.  They all have a purpose in my "big picture."  
wink.gif

Correct ; )
Quote:
Would those who own the K167 describe them as bright, along the lines of Grado or Beyerdynamic?

Not at all. They have plenty of detail and resolution in the highs, they're revealing, almost analytical, but are not bright. I know this sounds weird, but they're not what you can call a bright phone. They're a bit warm.

Dec 16, 2012 at 5:36 AM Post #1,042 of 1,489
Quote:
I can appreciate your love for the Tiesto. But, it does not mean all the others here will be taken in by the sound as well as you may. For myself, as a fellow K167 owner, I'm even starting to wonder if you don't work for AKG for the Harman companies (?)
biggrin.gif

There. I said it. Many were probably thinking it, but I was able to get it out.
cool.gif

I got it out, before you...like 3 weeks ago ...
biggrin.gif

Quote:
Miow, probably these headphones sound really great, but I think you are praising them too much already :). You start looking like someone who's paid for doing this just posting in the same thread how good they are all over again. I think it was quite clear what you think from the first pages. People would like to read opinions from different persons.

Again...no offense Miow, it's just how people perceive your repetitive comments. Still, I'm willing to buy this pair or maybe the K267, I'm not decided yet, but I repeat my personal wish...I would like to hear opinions from different people, not from the same few guys all over again.

Dec 16, 2012 at 11:33 AM Post #1,045 of 1,489
Not at all. They have plenty of detail and resolution in the highs, they're revealing, almost analytical, but are not bright. I know this sounds weird, but they're not what you can call a bright phone. They're a bit warm.

Earlier in the post, someone posted that the mid and high is very similar to the K550 but smoother without the harshness or peaks. I demo the K550 in the store for an hour and I find it a little bright and the high can be fatigue to my ear for certain songs.

Does the K167 has enough weight to the music? I sometimes feel the K550 sounds a slight thin, kind of in the border line.

The most natural headphone that I have listen to is the LCD3. It have the detail, speed, weight, texture, timbre, etc... beside the soundstage is little above average. I would have buy it if it is not because of the weight and comfort.

Dec 16, 2012 at 12:04 PM Post #1,046 of 1,489
Quote:
I got it out, before you...like 3 weeks ago ...
biggrin.gif

Again...no offense Miow, it's just how people perceive your repetitive comments. Still, I'm willing to buy this pair or maybe the K267, I'm not decided yet, but I repeat my personal wish...I would like to hear opinions from different people, not from the same few guys all over again.

I understand and respect miow's passion for the K167 as I feel the same about the M-100.

Dec 16, 2012 at 12:22 PM Post #1,047 of 1,489
Quote:
I understand and respect miow's passion for the K167 as I feel the same about the M-100.

Well - in the same way, you love the M-100, and I disliked them. I can see Miow loving the K167 and others disliking them.

Thing is, it seems that quite a few of the people adopting these new headphones are loving them, so that's a good thing.

Dec 16, 2012 at 12:47 PM Post #1,048 of 1,489
I have no problem with miow's enthusiasm for the product. Yes it may push or pull someone from a product, but we all know going in to this thing that we all hear things differently and there is a risk when buying that it may not sound as good to you as others.

If it was just "buy them, they are awesome," or "you won't be disappointed" or "best ever" with no descriptions as to why he likes them, than I'd have a problem. But miow hasn't done that. He has been very detailed as to why these sound good, and frankly, I agree with him.

Dec 16, 2012 at 1:05 PM Post #1,049 of 1,489
Quote:
Earlier in the post, someone posted that the mid and high is very similar to the K550 but smoother without the harshness or peaks. I demo the K550 in the store for an hour and I find it a little bright and the high can be fatigue to my ear for certain songs.
Does the K167 has enough weight to the music? I sometimes feel the K550 sounds a slight thin, kind of in the border line.
The most natural headphone that I have listen to is the LCD3. It have the detail, speed, weight, texture, timbre, etc... beside the soundstage is little above average. I would have buy it if it is not because of the weight and comfort.

Yes, it does. If amped, with Bass Boost enabled from you amp, it has plenty of bass. The sound is full-bodied with those mids and highs that you already know.

Dec 16, 2012 at 1:20 PM Post #1,050 of 1,489
Quote:
Yes, it does. If amped, with Bass Boost enabled from you amp, it has plenty of bass. The sound is full-bodied with those mids and highs that you already know.

You should speak of what headphone brings on its own though, all headphones can be bass boosted and paired with amps etc, the interesting thing is what they do on their own and not a whole crapola of mods, adjustments etc. :p

Well that's my reasoning, my ideal headphone is the one that requires as little tweaks as possible to get that ideal sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back