AKG K167 TIËSTO - Discussion, Impression, Review & Appreciation Thread
Dec 12, 2012 at 10:07 PM Post #886 of 1,489
I'm not talking about those £500 24 bit DAP + amp players. I can have stellar sound with any player that has line out and a $180 JDS Labs C421.

Dec 12, 2012 at 10:12 PM Post #888 of 1,489
Couple of things I've noted about durability:

1.) The headband is divided into three rigid parts. The topmost section is hollow plastic, and certainly not made of XRP. When you stretch open the headphones to put them on your head, the other two sections of the headband (left and right) apply pressure on the top-most piece. Especially since I have a large head, I'm afraid that either the top part will crack ,or that the plastic pieces connecting the three pieces together will snap off.

2.) The XRP plastic pieces seem very sturdy indeed. Unfortunately, only ONE piece, the one that actually connects to the large earpieces is made of XRP. The rest of the headphone, including the size adjusters, the folding hinge, and the headband, are made of regular plastic.

Dec 12, 2012 at 10:22 PM Post #890 of 1,489

1.) The headband is divided into three rigid parts. The topmost section is hollow plastic, and certainly not made of XLR. When you stretch open the headphones to put them on your head, the other two sections of the headband (left and right) apply pressure on the top-most piece. Especially since I have a large head, I'm afraid that either the top part will crack ,or that the plastic pieces connecting the three pieces together will snap off.

2.) The XLR plastic pieces seem very sturdy indeed. Unfortunately, only ONE piece, the one that actually connects to the large earpieces is made of XLR. The rest of the headphone, including the size adjusters, the folding hinge, and the headband, are made of regular plastic.

Does your right ear cup swivel more easily than your left?

Dec 12, 2012 at 10:29 PM Post #891 of 1,489
Quote:

1.) The headband is divided into three rigid parts. The topmost section is hollow plastic, and certainly not made of XLR. When you stretch open the headphones to put them on your head, the other two sections of the headband (left and right) apply pressure on the top-most piece. Especially since I have a large head, I'm afraid that either the top part will crack ,or that the plastic pieces connecting the three pieces together will snap off.

2.) The XLR plastic pieces seem very sturdy indeed. Unfortunately, only ONE piece, the one that actually connects to the large earpieces is made of XLR. The rest of the headphone, including the size adjusters, the folding hinge, and the headband, are made of regular plastic.

What do you mean by XLR plastic? I thought XLR was a type of connection?

Dec 12, 2012 at 10:38 PM Post #893 of 1,489
Didn't notice that the right cup swivels a lot more smoothly than the left until it was pointed out. The L/R clickers on the headband are fine, nothings snapping off or cracking.
The signature on these headphones are on the airy side with a large soundstage, lush mid range and sparkly highs. It has good bass impact in a non-aggressive delicate type of way and unless
you EQ or get an amp that colors the sound to have more mid-bass, it is what it is. Not exactly what i would call full bodied and not exactly light on bass and super bright either, but somewhere in between.

Dec 12, 2012 at 10:57 PM Post #895 of 1,489
Quote:
I've been away for a bit, so I'm catching up on this thread.  Let me just say that my headphone EXP just shot up 9000 points because I live in Japan now and I can try any headphone I want.  I've tried so many of the popular headphones from $150-1000 and nothing really impressed me except for the new Sony MDR1.  So many disappointing headphones out there for the price they ask.  The K167 still dominates at it's price point an I'd choose it over a more expensive headphone easily, aside from the K267, which we don't know about it.
I've currently been looking for a donor body to harvest and that hasn't been an easy task as cheaper headphones have crappy earpads and isolation.

So if I was to compare the MDR1 to the K167, the MDR1 has noticably tighter bass punch.  Not saying that's good or bad, but I didn't like it at first until I went through a few songs with it.  However it's friggin expensive here in Japan.  Was like +$400.

Also throwing this out there, but the AKG K540 is also a very good cheap headphone at it's price.  I might be picking one up as my beater headphone.

Also Also, another headphone I was really interested in was the Beyerdynamic COP.  Let me just say K167 > COP.  They had too much bass and sounded boomy.  Poor vocals also.

PFULMTL, you are awesome. So it has tighter bass, but how about the quantity of the bass?

As a semi-basshead, I tried the MDR1, and although they looked better than most Sony cans, their bass reminded me of Beats'. Honestly. Of course, I only auditioned them for 5 min, but I just felt they were way too boomy, and dampened and weighed down the cans so much. I compared with all the new Sonys, including the NC500, and the NC500 was the one that I liked the most, solely because its bass did not overpower. 

Dec 12, 2012 at 11:49 PM Post #898 of 1,489
Quote:
The build is worrying me. I don't want I cracking so easily. Especially since it will be costing 200 bucks.

If that's a picture of you in your avatar, I don't think you'll have any issues with the headband having to stretch onto your head.  Seriously.

Quote:
I'd say the killer is the detachable cable.

Putting all other options on the K267 aside, the detachable cable isn't worth $200.  For $200, I could make 18 custom cable assemblies with mini-XLR connectors, 6' of straight Canare star quad wire, and a 1/4" Neutrik male plug. Now, the rest of the K267 (build quality, sound, etc.) still remains to be seen and heard by a few more individuals.  Granted, we have had one individual who has seen / heard the K267, but there should be a few more by the weekend.  Also, the fixed coiled cable is not a bad cable.  Not a bad cable at all.  I can't see myself using any type of silver cable wire on these headphones as they have plenty of detail, bass, etc. - and I think a nearly-pure silver cable would be complete overkill on the K167 headphones.

Update on Burn-in: I ran my K167s for a 24-hour straight period between last evening and these evening.  I think it brought me closer  to the 40 hour mark, as opposed to the 35 hour mark as indicated earlier.  I have a dedicated 2-channel Yamaha piece with a variable loudness control that is head and shoulders above any $400 and under amp that I've used.  The bass has tightened even further.  On the amp, I reduced the treble by 2db as I wanted a bit more upper frequency roll-off.  Amos Lee was sounding real stellar when I listened to "Last Days at the Lodge."  Yet, time for more burn-in.

Dec 13, 2012 at 12:29 AM Post #899 of 1,489
Quote:
What do you mean by XLR plastic? I thought XLR was a type of connection?

Ah sorry. XRP****** glass-reinforced polymer something. It looks very impressive too- has this stone/glass texture to it. I just don't understand why they didn't make most of the headphone out of it.
Quote:
Does your right ear cup swivel more easily than your left?

Does not. I think yours might be a bit loose.

Dec 13, 2012 at 1:04 AM Post #900 of 1,489
Not as harsh today as it was last night.  These just have a very revealing treble.  I can't pin these as better sounding over any of the other portable cans but it has a different flavor just like the rest of them.  I would still say these punch above its price and Tiesto must be an audiophile.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back