AKG K167 TIËSTO - Discussion, Impression, Review & Appreciation Thread
Dec 12, 2012 at 12:23 AM Post #826 of 1,489
Quote:
T50RP vs K167 with full burn in... anyone know differences?

While I'm not nearly at the point of full burn-in on my K167, I can say that in my case (with my particular mod of the Fostex T50) the bass (detail, texture, speed, depth and punch) can't quite stand up to the K167.  I'm speaking solely on a bass standpoint, though.  The highs on the T50 are not quite detailed like the K167 and my T50 mod has some improvements to bump the upper frequencies and provide a bit of a better sound stage compared to the status quo T50.

Dec 12, 2012 at 12:33 AM Post #827 of 1,489
Quote:

While I'm not nearly at the point of full burn-in on my K167, I can say that in my case (with my particular mod of the Fostex T50) the bass (detail, texture, speed, depth and punch) can't quite stand up to the K167.  I'm speaking solely on a bass standpoint, though.  The highs on the T50 are not quite detailed like the K167 and my T50 mod has some improvements to bump the upper frequencies and provide a bit of a better sound stage compared to the status quo T50.

Thanks, Trying to convince another user in the anime thread a K167 is a better investment over even a modded T50 so needed that input :)

Dec 12, 2012 at 12:44 AM Post #828 of 1,489
Quote:

D2000 is heavily subbass focused with barely any midbass boost, M50 is somewhat even in midbass vs subbass (bassheavy version), slightly more midbass and less subbass compared to D2000 and PRO900 as well just being a bit stronger in both compared to M50, the PRO900 definitely has the strongest midbass of the bunch and A LOT more than D2000.

RPGWiZaRD, have you tried any of these unamped? Has anyone tried these unamped? I need to know how the bass quantity on an unamped K167 compares to an unamped M50, unamped PRO900, and unamped D2k. BTW I think unamped M50s have slightly excessive bass, so there's a reference point.
I literally was about to Proceed to Checkout until I read the homie miow's comment on how the K167 was deficient in bass, unamped. Can someone save me?

Dec 12, 2012 at 12:50 AM Post #829 of 1,489
Quote:
RPGWiZaRD, have you tried any of these unamped? Has anyone tried these unamped? I need to know how the bass quantity on an unamped K167 compares to an unamped M50, unamped PRO900, and unamped D2k. BTW I think unamped M50s have slightly excessive bass, so there's a reference point.
I literally was about to Proceed to Checkout until I read the homie miow's comment on how the K167 was deficient in bass, unamped. Can someone save me?

unamped the K167 sound brighter, though they do lack abit of the subbass punch to me, they arent hard to drive... I think its perfectly fine.

Dec 12, 2012 at 12:53 AM Post #830 of 1,489
Quote:

unamped the K167 sound brighter, though they do lack abit of the subbass punch to me, they arent hard to drive... I think its perfectly fine.

Do they sound as bright as those balanced cans, like HD800s? Or do they still have mid-bass quantity? Can you compare them to a few cans that you've tried? Thanks so much you are a lifesaver.

Dec 12, 2012 at 1:02 AM Post #831 of 1,489
Quote:
Do they sound as bright as those balanced cans, like HD800s? Or do they still have mid-bass quantity? Can you compare them to a few cans that you've tried? Thanks so much you are a lifesaver.

mid-bass is still there...its just not as deep (nothing too major) Unless your listening to some dub wont have much impact at all. I've never tried the HD800 so someone else will have to take that one, Unfortunately these are only cans in this sonic//price range I own rest are either entry levels or flagships. and its not fair comparing a K167 to a D7000 or PS1000 or even HE-400.

Un-amped vs. amped will really rear its ugly head tomorrow when I got rescheduled to fly out, E11 cant hold a 14 hour charge so... I will have to live without amping most of the trip from Sonys PSVita & ipod touch 4G.

The headphones are driveable pretty much all devices...and sounds awesome the amping just improves sonic signature.

Dec 12, 2012 at 1:22 AM Post #832 of 1,489
Quote:

mid-bass is still there...its just not as deep (nothing too major) Unless your listening to some dub wont have much impact at all. I've never tried the HD800 so someone else will have to take that one, Unfortunately these are only cans in this sonic//price range I own rest are either entry levels or flagships. and its not fair comparing a K167 to a D7000 or PS1000 or even HE-400.

Un-amped vs. amped will really rear its ugly head tomorrow when I got rescheduled to fly out, E11 cant hold a 14 hour charge so... I will have to live without amping most of the trip from Sonys PSVita & ipod touch 4G.

The headphones are driveable pretty much all devices...and sounds awesome the amping just improves sonic signature.

I. WILL. BE. WAITING. for your unamped experience regarding bass quantity. 
wink_face.gif

My ANC7 gives me headaches occasionally with its high mid-bass and low sub-bass. Are the K167s like this?
Actually, I'd expect it to be at the HE-400 level. How does it compare, disregarding isolation?

Dec 12, 2012 at 1:44 AM Post #833 of 1,489
Quote:
I. WILL. BE. WAITING. for your unamped experience regarding bass quantity. 
wink_face.gif

My ANC7 gives me headaches occasionally with its high mid-bass and low sub-bass. Are the K167s like this?
Actually, I'd expect it to be at the HE-400 level. How does it compare, disregarding isolation?

hmm...regarding isolation, they isolate with minimal leakage to around 50% on i-devices at 60% they begin to leak more and more... but 50% is still very loud on these, 60% is kind of pushing it (This is unamped)... maybe if someone is a bit deaf. At listening level isolation is good. With the E11, I found they isolated well up to 3 with high-gain & EQ2 with the Computer (Realtek ALC898) at 60%.

Heres unamped... for reference it pretty much stopped leaking at 50.

Dec 12, 2012 at 1:44 AM Post #834 of 1,489
So, as promised my personal upload has finished*: Jacintha - Autumn Leaves (2000) [FLAC transcoding from a XRCD!!]

*this is for testing purposes only! Please give your comments/feedback about this reference album played with the K167 in this thread^^

This is a quite accessible and slow Jazz album with a next to perfect mastering. Please check it out...gave me goosebumps! It sounds just so beautiful when i play it via my Xonar Essence....but also unamped with my Galaxy Note II it is very enjoyable! Like Lily said, unamped the 167s sound brighter and need a bit more volume to reach a decent "presence" and coverage of the frequency spectrum. In detail, if i'd criticise something with the 167 unamped, than it would be a minimal lack of mid- to upper-bass (roughly around 40 to 150 Hz) and slightly reduced lower mids (around 150 to 500 Hz)...? [beware, my 167s have also only 80 hours on them and the Xonar Essence does a really good job, too^^]

When I amp them with my Xonar Essence I definitely did not experience a degradation in soundquality so far...I'd say on the contrary! :wink:

Dec 12, 2012 at 2:05 AM Post #835 of 1,489
Quote:
hmm...regarding isolation, they isolate with minimal leakage to around 50% on i-devices at 60% they begin to leak more and more... but 50% is still very loud on these, 60% is kind of pushing it (This is unamped)... maybe if someone is a bit deaf. At listening level isolation is good. With the E11, I found they isolated well up to 3 with high-gain & EQ2 with the Computer (Realtek ALC898) at 60%.

Heres unamped... for reference it pretty much stopped leaking at 50.

Dang, these are beautiful! Almost erotic! 
deadhorse.gif

Dec 12, 2012 at 3:20 AM Post #836 of 1,489
Quote:
So, as promised my personal upload has finished*: Jacintha - Autumn Leaves (2000) [FLAC transcoding from a XRCD!!]

*this is for testing purposes only! Please give your comments/feedback about this reference album played with the K167 in this thread^^

This is a quite accessible and slow Jazz album with a next to perfect mastering. Please check it out...gave me goosebumps! It sounds just so beautiful when i play it via my Xonar Essence....but also unamped with my Galaxy Note II it is very enjoyable! Like Lily said, unamped the 167s sound brighter and need a bit more volume to reach a decent "presence" and coverage of the frequency spectrum. In detail, if i'd criticise something with the 167 unamped, than it would be a minimal lack of mid- to upper-bass (roughly around 40 to 150 Hz) and slightly reduced lower mids (around 150 to 500 Hz)...? [beware, my 167s have also only 80 hours on them and the Xonar Essence does a really good job, too^^]

When I amp them with my Xonar Essence I definitely did not experience a degradation in soundquality so far...I'd say on the contrary! :wink:

May be down to the source used, I'd think Titanium HD would pair much better with these than Xonar Essence for example as the Titanium HD is adding some weight in those areas whereas Essence is thinner sounding in comparision, more heighs, less warmth. To me the asus cards sound excessively analytical/thin/bright why I didn't like them. Too much 4kHz ~ 10kHz presence vs lack of 50 ~ 500Hz presence subjectively measured. Titanium HD is like the opposite so it's down to taste and the headphone how well they pair obviously.

Dec 12, 2012 at 9:19 AM Post #838 of 1,489
Would love to read a comparison regarding these and some Ultrasone cans.

Dec 12, 2012 at 9:35 AM Post #839 of 1,489
Quote:

The timing is very good on the 167s. To be more specific, attack is spot on and makes a fun listen and they can reproduce decay in the mid to high frequencies over nearly the whole frequency band in a way, that even if you are not an "analyst" you will become one^^. There's some lacking of mid-bass (what doesn't bother me due to my individual taste), but enough to mention it if you're a nitpicker as I am
wink_face.gif
. Still, I'm very pleased with the timbre of the 167s. When it comes to vibrato/tremolo, these closed cans render a smile on my face. Put on any good recording consisting of an acoustic guitar paired with a dominant voice only...and you might also smile^^

Edit: So, regarding the sound, they get at least a 9.0 or maybe even a 9.5 (after a certain burn-in time of course)

As a good test album I'd recommend "Alice in Chains - Jar of Flies (1994)" (this album is in my top5 off all time)

Thank you for remembering me about this album. It's been a while and I'm listening to it now and it's really sounding good. Now if my K167 could arrive it would be even better. For now the HP700 does a good job.

Dec 12, 2012 at 9:48 AM Post #840 of 1,489
Quote:
Any portable amps recommended in combination with the k167s? Preferably less than $40 ):

FiiO E11. I'm selling one of mines though. :) Check my sig.
Quote:

No my friend, bear in mind that I'm a bass-head. Bass is pretty decent (quantity) without an amp, if EQ'ed from your player. ; ) They are NOT bass light without an amp. It's just that I need to feel the ear massage to satisfy my basshead needs and the amp does it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back