AKG K167 TIËSTO - Discussion, Impression, Review & Appreciation Thread
Dec 6, 2012 at 4:46 PM Post #512 of 1,489
Quote:
My K167s are no longer for sale. I quit waiting for the K267s. Will wait for side by side comparisons/reviews to take an informed decision though. They can't be much better, since bass just can't be more detailed/tighter than this (it will have a bit more quantity) and treble can't get any better than this, so I guess the differences will be a tiny bit more bass in "Stage" mode and maybe a tiny bit better separation due to the 50mm drivers. For now I'm sold to the K167s and they're the best hesdphones I've heard so far.

Which other headphones have you tried? (Not IEM)

Have you tried Denon D2000 or Sennheiser HD650 to compare?

These K167 look VERY intersting.

Dec 6, 2012 at 5:18 PM Post #514 of 1,489
Quote:

Which other headphones have you tried? (Not IEM)

Have you tried Denon D2000 or Sennheiser HD650 to compare?

These K167 look VERY intersting.

Fischer Audio FA-011, HD600, DT770/880, AiAiAi TMA-1, DENON HP700, DENON D5000, Ultrasone PRO900, AKG K701 and a few more. The K167 beats them all.

Dec 6, 2012 at 5:41 PM Post #515 of 1,489
Quote:

This will be interesting, especially the M-100's. From what I've read so far, looks like the K167's are better than UE6000 and Momentum, but M-100 is other story. Look forward to hearing from you. Just burn them in for at least 24 hours before comparing to M-100, since bass seems to benefit alot from burn-in ; )

Alright, I'll report back after I get them and burn for a couple of days.  
Quote:
did you order yours from ugotadeal on ebay?  that is who i ordered mine thru.
i should have them by Wed.  my e11 comes in Tues, so it should work out.  ill let everyone know my thought shortly thereafter.  

I got them from Cobrasonics.  They seem to be an authorized dealer and has a 60 day return policy.  Good price and all that, I figured why not.  

Dec 7, 2012 at 3:05 AM Post #516 of 1,489
Quote:

Fischer Audio FA-011, HD600, DT770/880, AiAiAi TMA-1, DENON HP700, DENON D5000, Ultrasone PRO900, AKG K701 and a few more. The K167 beats them all.

Whew - that's good to know.  Actually, I placed my order for the K167s a short while ago, and paid for Saturday delivery (hey, I'm impatient.)  I'm coming from Grado, Magnum, HifiMAN, Audio Technica, Sennheiser and Fostex headphone experiences.  I'm eager to see, and hear what the K167s can really offer.  I was applying my focus on a pair of AKG headphones this time around, but the stock locally (Guitar Center, etc.) is a bit weak if you want anything higher than the AKG studio 240.  I've had that headphone in the past, and couldn't go for it again.  I've even passed up an older pair of AKG Sextette headphones off of my local Craigslist.  Then again, $150 for those Sextette's was a bit much - even compared to eBay prices.

I'll be back to share some impressions after I've received mine and have had a chance to properly have them "adjust."

I still have the HifiMAN HE-400s and the Fostex T50RP (modified) in my collection for comparison purposes.

Dec 7, 2012 at 3:54 AM Post #517 of 1,489
Can anyone comment on how they are for loudness?

The beyer DT770/80's that I had would distort at loud volumes where my other cans weren't. Was not overly impressed.

Is there any sign of distortion with the K167's if you crank them up?

Cheers.

Dec 7, 2012 at 4:39 AM Post #518 of 1,489
Quote:
Can anyone comment on how they are for loudness?

The beyer DT770/80's that I had would distort at loud volumes where my other cans weren't. Was not overly impressed.

Is there any sign of distortion with the K167's if you crank them up?

Cheers.

Were you properly amping those DT770/80? 

Dec 7, 2012 at 6:31 AM Post #519 of 1,489
Quote:

Guess it has to be a lot about taste because I remember being very keen to see the Momentums available for demo at a market store and then I got quickly really dissappointed putting them on, I could only listen to them about 2 mins before I got way too bored. At the same time I for example found the AKG K272 HD that costed 129 EUR (compared to 329 EUR for the Momentums) which I didn't think I'd like at all, suprisingly I enjoyed those headphones a lot more than the Momentum. I was quite shocked myself. Compared to the AKGs the Momentums had very distant / hollow midrange and poor bass response quality (boomy, lack of texture) and poor soundstage. To me the Sennheiser HD25-II sounded like a significant upgrade in sound quality compared to Momentum, much better bass response quality, textured, tight, punchy and mids was a lot more forward and detailed. Momentum's midrange is really flawed, for a $300+ headphone I'd expect more than "mids are there" and at least a little detail retrieval.

Im not fan of HD25-ii so really its about taste. 

From these comments they seem to be inferior. But yes, there are tastes for everything.

Inferior or not its a subjective matter. Many hate HD650 prefer to ear piercing treble of Grado's
But man, i like HD650. Their signature really enjoyable

Dec 7, 2012 at 7:07 AM Post #520 of 1,489
Any direct comparisons between the 167 and DT990 would be appreciated.  Now that I'm properly amping my 990, I have a better sense of their sound, and the treble gets a tiny bit too much on them at times, trying to decide if I'm going to keep them, grab the 167, or spend a little more for the M-100.

Dec 7, 2012 at 7:56 AM Post #522 of 1,489
How do these compare to the Ultrasone 580s??

Dec 7, 2012 at 8:51 AM Post #523 of 1,489
Quote:

Were you properly amping those DT770/80? 

Aye, using an Epiphany Acoustics O2 amp which runs everything else I've thrown at it with no problem.

Dec 7, 2012 at 9:49 AM Post #524 of 1,489
I agree, have you noticed how well voices are handled? They are much more dynamic that I'm used to, everything is done so well on the K167, I wrote to Ty from innerfidelity and he will try to get them reviewed :)

I would wait for comparisons between K167 and M-100. One thing is for sure: the K167 does not have recessed mids.

Dec 7, 2012 at 12:05 PM Post #525 of 1,489
Quote:

Whew - that's good to know.  Actually, I placed my order for the K167s a short while ago, and paid for Saturday delivery (hey, I'm impatient.)  I'm coming from Grado, Magnum, HifiMAN, Audio Technica, Sennheiser and Fostex headphone experiences.  I'm eager to see, and hear what the K167s can really offer.  I was applying my focus on a pair of AKG headphones this time around, but the stock locally (Guitar Center, etc.) is a bit weak if you want anything higher than the AKG studio 240.  I've had that headphone in the past, and couldn't go for it again.  I've even passed up an older pair of AKG Sextette headphones off of my local Craigslist.  Then again, $150 for those Sextette's was a bit much - even compared to eBay prices.

I'll be back to share some impressions after I've received mine and have had a chance to properly have them "adjust."

I still have the HifiMAN HE-400s and the Fostex T50RP (modified) in my collection for comparison purposes.

Hey old friend 
biggrin.gif
. Happy to hear from you. I just checked on my order and they are waiting the shipment from distributor here in Canada and got no confirm ETA 
frown.gif
. I cannot wait to hear them because I really enjoy the Denon DN-HP700 and the K167 seems to have similar signature but better (based on Miow). I loved finding underdog that perform over their price range. I make the experience even more enjoyable. Hoping these won't disappoint me. I have a list of headphones (DT1350, SR325, T50rp) to let go if they meet my expectation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back