AKG K167 TIËSTO - Discussion, Impression, Review & Appreciation Thread
Dec 5, 2012 at 5:09 AM Post #481 of 1,489
Yea seems they prioritized this headphone like this:

1. Sound quality!
2. Style
3. Comfort
4. Build quality 

But I don't complain, it's all about prioritizing, you can't have excellent everything unless you're willing to pay for it. For me I gladly sacrifice some comfort & build quality for many times worth above their pricing -- sound quality. But to me the comfort doesn't look like an issue, I like the looks of those pads, certainly doesn't look like cheap pads at all.

How is the clamping? I usually like a bit stiffer clamping as I like the feeling of headphone sitting securely on my head. (I like it to be able to do some headbanging without it moving around on the head :p)

Dec 5, 2012 at 5:22 AM Post #482 of 1,489
They're VERY comfy to me, so I guess it depends of the size of your heads? I'm wearing them all day/night long with 0 fatigue/pain/whatever.

Dec 5, 2012 at 6:03 AM Post #483 of 1,489
Quote:
They're VERY comfy to me, so I guess it depends of the size of your heads? I'm wearing them all day/night long with 0 fatigue/pain/whatever.

Can you comment on the clamping force? Do you find it as average? I personally dislike very light clamping force (think K550)

Dec 5, 2012 at 6:19 AM Post #484 of 1,489
It's above average. It's what I consider the perfect clamping force. Maybe the reason of the A+ isolation? (they isolate even more than the AiAiAi TMA-1s - I can't hear a thing).

Dec 5, 2012 at 9:44 AM Post #485 of 1,489
Quote:
It's above average. It's what I consider the perfect clamping force. Maybe the reason of the A+ isolation? (they isolate even more than the AiAiAi TMA-1s - I can't hear a thing).

Good, the more I read about them, the more suitable they get for my needs. :) Listening to Hardstyle I get so engaged with the music I keep nodding my head, stamping the foot in the rythm with the bass and do silly arm movements like all those hardstyle producers on stage do ahaha, so I need something that stays securely on the head. :p Isolation is always a plus for me too as my comp fans are fairly loud.

Dec 5, 2012 at 10:47 AM Post #487 of 1,489
Quote:
With bass boost can these cause your ears to be tickled by the bass?

Yes, they do. I 've told that already in some previous post. But the magic of this bass is how tight it is. Reminds me the bass of the Hippo VB (good old days). Hopefuly its just the bass :p

Dec 5, 2012 at 11:14 AM Post #488 of 1,489
Noticed that 8thstreet.com lists the k267 so i gave them a call. I was told they're supposed to receive them next week. Not believing what i was told, i went ahead and placed an order for
a 167 for $186 shipped.

Dec 5, 2012 at 11:16 AM Post #489 of 1,489
Quote:
Noticed that 8thstreet.com lists the k267 so i gave them a call. I was told they're supposed to receive them next week. Not believing what i was told, i went ahead and placed an order for
a 167 for $186 shipped.

$186 :/ Not fair! AKG seems to ignore my email regarding the european vs US pricing too.

Dec 5, 2012 at 11:18 AM Post #490 of 1,489
Ridiculous! Thats 100 euros less than what we pay here
mad.gif

If I ever buy the K267s, I will get them from the USA, will pay customs duties and will most likely save 100 euros or so.

Dec 5, 2012 at 12:27 PM Post #492 of 1,489
Amazon ships international for like $30~40 a box. Thats how I saved myself the insane prices of "imported games" from japan and things like figurines when play-asia and other retailers inflate the prices on hard-to-get stuff. Though the sellers use UPS, and thats thin in europe it might get passed onto DHL or something... but UPS handles their own customs stuff  which makes it less likely things get stuck or lost when it does hit customs (leaving NA at least) I had to order an emergency laptop from US when I was in germany UPS got it to me in a week, though the shipping was $120 x: (but that was ordered via xoticpc) Anyways, its one option to consider for importing.

Dec 5, 2012 at 8:44 PM Post #494 of 1,489
Quote:
Thats great to hear. How is the build quality?

Seems to be fine. I was timid and hesitant to flex the headband at first (they look really plasticky and brittle) but I've worked the headband and it seems to be loosening up and no creaking and cracking sounds.

Whoever voiced this headphone did it by listening and not making the mistakes that other designers did before them.....like assuming everyone likes bass shoved down their throats and likes being robbed of midrange/treble clarity and detail. Listening to Joni Mitchell's "Hejira" last night was positively jaw-dropping.

Dec 5, 2012 at 10:16 PM Post #495 of 1,489
Wait what? The k167's aren't as comfortable? Aw man. Now I have to keep looking again. I want some really comfy ones without ever wanting to take them off. But I guess they hurt after a while. Is comfort really that bad? I use the vmodas crossfade lp. The clamp is a bit tight, and after 45 minutes, the membranes hurt my ears, and then I get headaches and fatigue. Are they that bad?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back