AKG K167 TIËSTO - Discussion, Impression, Review & Appreciation Thread
Dec 3, 2012 at 11:23 PM Post #451 of 1,489
I am not sure height will dictate head size. My wife is shorter than me but has a larger head than me.

I can say my head is slightly smaller than average and I noticed these are loose enough on my head that I have to be carefully bending over as they want to slip off my head and yet I get a good seal even walking around (I have used mine on public transit).

I also had a coworker try these who is a lot thinner and angular than me with what I think is a smaller than average head size and he also got a good seal sitting at his desk (might have had issues I he had been mobile).

Dec 4, 2012 at 12:06 AM Post #452 of 1,489
I am not sure height will dictate head size. My wife is shorter than me but has a larger head than me.
I can say my head is slightly smaller than average and I noticed these are loose enough on my head that I have to be carefully bending over as they want to slip off my head and yet I get a good seal even walking around (I have used mine on public transit).
I also had a coworker try these who is a lot thinner and angular than me with what I think is a smaller than average head size and he also got a good seal sitting at his desk (might have had issues I he had been mobile).

I have been contemplating the K550 for a while too but was worrie about the fit because I do have a smaller then average head. It's reassuring that you seems to get a good fit. Maybe if the K167 doesn't deliver I'll tried the K550. I do not consider myself a bass head but I do enjoy quality well control low's so we'll see and hear I guess how to 167 behave :rolleyes:

Dec 4, 2012 at 1:37 AM Post #453 of 1,489
Quote:

It would somewhat to a degree, someone my size sure as heck wouldnt have a head as big as someone say 6'1. I ordered the K167 though :) too bad it was not amazon prime compatible for faster shipping. First few days might go un-amped. Since E11 order got cancelled but >< no refund yet to re-order.

Dec 4, 2012 at 1:49 AM Post #455 of 1,489
I too am curious about the K167. I bought the K550 because I could get it locally and they had a fantastic price. But I am watching for posts from others in this thread, especially from those who have heard both and I may end up trying the K167 or possibly the K267 after it is released. I will likely wait until the K267 is also available as the FOTM effect will have started to die down on the K167 by then and I will have had a chance to get used to the K550 by then as well (my own FOTM effect LOL).

Dec 4, 2012 at 2:00 AM Post #457 of 1,489
I want that silicone band that so many people have on their e11 and portable player. I'm not sure if it comes with the e11 or if it comes with the LOD? And should I get the L9 or L3? What is the difference?

Ipod classic here.

Dec 4, 2012 at 2:07 AM Post #458 of 1,489
Quote:
I want that silicone band that so many people have on their e11 and portable player. I'm not sure if it comes with the e11 or if it comes with the LOD? And should I get the L9 or L3? What is the difference?
Ipod classic here.

Straight or curved plug pretty much. I got the L9 since its more bulky but nicer fit, but either works its just preference. The band comes with the E11

Dec 4, 2012 at 2:08 AM Post #459 of 1,489
Quote:
Maybe if the K167 doesn't deliver I'll tried the K550. I do not consider myself a bass head but I do enjoy quality well control low's so we'll see and hear I guess how to 167 behave
rolleyes.gif

Personally I didn't enjoy the detailed but flat sound signature of the K550 (ok, I just had a few minutes with them in a store recently). To repeat myself, I am very pleased with the performance of the K167. Even in genres where you usually do not have a lot of bass; then they present mids and highs in audiophile quality with a good representation of a wide sound stage.

In general, I come to the conclusion, that the K167 really shine with good quality recordings on flac & co. 320kbit mp3s are also nice but the same tracks played in flac are just no comparison on the K167.

Here's a track with very little bass: http://rapidgator.net/file/61438089/01._Joanna_Newsom_-_Emily.flac.html
Please give it a try and I'm curious what you think when you play it with the Tiesto's.

Dec 4, 2012 at 6:05 PM Post #460 of 1,489
Quote:
Originally Posted by droid23 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

In general, I come to the conclusion, that the K167 really shine with good quality recordings on flac & co. 320kbit mp3s are also nice but the same tracks played in flac are just no comparison on the K167.

I've never noticed any difference from MP3 320K CBR to FLAC but it might worth trying with the K167's. Problem is: SONY = NO FLAC.

Dec 4, 2012 at 6:51 PM Post #463 of 1,489
I'm using LOD now and these phones sound really high-end. So faithfull to the original recording... ! Highs are so natural, so real (cymbals, percussion instruments - the sound of the sand, hand clapping etc). They're even better than the UM3X and SM3 and its by quite a large margin. Timber is exceptional. I would give them a 10 out of 10 (9.1 given to the SM3 and 9.3 to the UM3X - my highest rating ever).

Dec 4, 2012 at 10:03 PM Post #465 of 1,489
All this hype for a DJ phone.  I gotta hear these to believe.  All satisfied customers so far so it's a good sign.  Have any of the owners heard the Momentum, MDR-1R, UE6000's or any of the recent hyped portable cans?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back