AKG K167 TIËSTO - Discussion, Impression, Review & Appreciation Thread
Nov 28, 2012 at 11:22 PM Post #316 of 1,489
I was listening to this while it happend.  I guess I get really into it because of the sound quality.  Not a bad way to go though.  Better than breaking while listening to some bad music.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OcsntAinwYM

I just redid the tape job.  There was too much tape which led to a poor seal, so I used less.

But yeah, that's just me, and in a previous post I mention I don't baby my gear.  I hate that feeling that I should always be careful.  I guess I really do live like it's my last day.

Nov 29, 2012 at 12:36 AM Post #317 of 1,489
Quote:
WOAH HOLD ON!  This is not good AKG.  That crack led to the whole left side falling off with only the cable holding it. :xf_mad:
The fastest record of me breaking headphones - less than a week.
Build quality - 0 points

When will headphone makers learn that thin plastic hinges will break.

Big head size?

We can rebuild.  JK, I'm not sure how I'm going to fix this.

I sent those pics to AKG.

Also just talked to my sis and my sister broke her AKG K618 in the same spot, but above it.  She glued it back.

hello AKG, what happened to you???

Yes, the K267's will cost around 400 euros here in Europe and the K167s cost 230 euros. I'm selling them for 170 euros. For a fraction of the cost of the K267s you can try my K167s, this is correct :D 

i want to test momentum 1st

Nov 29, 2012 at 1:25 AM Post #318 of 1,489
I would say it's because of the headband and hinge design.  When I was reviewing the K618, I mentioned that the headband should have been at least a half inch wider.  I'm not sure how other people put headphones on, but I stretch them apart from the earcups.

I have another idea however, and that is to remove the hinge completly. and just use two screws to secure the headband to the lower piece.  Of course the heaphone will no longer fold, but that's better than having it break.  The headband has that metal strip, so it should be somewhat durable.  The real question is how solid is that bottom piece?  I will need to pick up a really small screwdriver to take it apart.

Don't really feel like buying a donor headphone right now to harvest it's body, so I'll try the above after I finish moving.

Nov 29, 2012 at 3:28 AM Post #319 of 1,489
I got an exchange because of my problem here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=643TML2WCxQ

The new ones have no issues, and the sound is great, needs to burn-in, but sound really good out of the box :)

Nov 29, 2012 at 5:08 AM Post #320 of 1,489
Is there perhaps anyone who listened through these to some other music than the Youtube links posted in this thread? Music by artists like Rolling Stones, Beatles, Pink Floyd, Rush, Porcupine Tree, Miles Davis, Adele, David Sylvian, Frank Zappa, John Scofield, Joe Satriani, Led Zeppelin, Deep Purple, Sreve Ray Vaughan...well I could go on for hours but I won't 
wink.gif

Nov 29, 2012 at 5:30 AM Post #321 of 1,489
Quote:
Is there perhaps anyone who listened through these to some other music than the Youtube links posted in this thread? Music by artists like Rolling Stones, Beatles, Pink Floyd, Rush, Porcupine Tree, Miles Davis, Adele, David Sylvian, Frank Zappa, John Scofield, Joe Satriani, Led Zeppelin, Deep Purple, Sreve Ray Vaughan...well I could go on for hours but I won't 
wink.gif

Sure I did and they're exceptionaly good. MAGNIFICENT treble extension and decay, cymbals are so natural, so real, along with the TIGHTEST and DEEPEST bass I've heard on a closed can. Clear, liquid mids. Overall, lots of detail on all those legends (since vocals to electric, bass and acoustic guitars, drums, percussion instruments and everything), but always mantaining the musicality (analytical, but not excessively). Very good Dynamics, Pace, Rythm and Timing (PRaT). A High-End experience, nothing to do with a $200 phone, but easily a $400 one.

Please everyone, do not confuse the K167s with DJ cans (I've been receiving lots of PMs concerning this), because these do not sound as such. These sound as STUDIO/audiophile cans. Higher-end ones, not even $250-$300 ones.

Nov 29, 2012 at 12:07 PM Post #323 of 1,489
Oh, you can't even compare. The M50 sounds like a $150 phone, these sound like a $300+ phone, with magnificent treble extension. They are at least as good as the DENON D5000 and K701 (with better bass). Mids are recessed on the M50's, whereas they're forward on the K167's. Soundstage is also wider and separation is superior. It's other level in all aspects. 

TRANCE: well, after a 24 hour period of burn-in, they sound great within the Trance genre. The same for Dub-step, Beats, Deep House (awesome with the K167's), Lounge/Chillout etc. Bass is very tight and deep (but needs burn-in to show its full potential).

Nov 30, 2012 at 3:58 AM Post #325 of 1,489
50 hours of burn-in with extremely bass-heavy stuff (loud volumes). Already feeling some ear massage from this TIGHT bass (bass was weaker before - nothing to do with this). Dynamic range improved. Better dynamics and separation as well. Treble's spectacular, outperforming "top-tier", state-of-the-art IEMs like the SM3, UM3X, SONY EX-1000, etc, by quite a large margin. I feel burn-in is completed.

Nov 30, 2012 at 4:33 AM Post #326 of 1,489
What accessories are included with k167?

I'm still debating on Pioneer hdj 2000 vs k167's
but leaning towards Pioneer due to their magnesium alloy housing, removable cable, being a non-branded headphone, and having high reps all around
Now a few posts back someone mentioned sound quality of both are similar, with 2000's being a bit brighter.

Anyone opposed to the purchase of hdj 2000's over k167's and why?
(I find that they're about the same price at $199 k167's and $205 for 2000's)

Nov 30, 2012 at 4:43 AM Post #327 of 1,489
I agree miow, as i wrote in my first impressions, the K167 sound fantastic, impressive dynamics, very detailed, deep controlled bass, smooth treble, a little dark compared to my old Denon D2000, but overall it sounds better in almost every respect, combine that with a lower price and a foldable design, the K167 should sell like hotcakes :) - I'm very impressed, I'm finding new details in my favorite music that I have never heard before...love it.

Now I just need a nice hardcase for them and an extension cable for home use.

Nov 30, 2012 at 6:41 AM Post #328 of 1,489
Quote:
 I'm finding new details in my favorite music that I have never heard before...love it.

Me too. I can't take them off my ears, can you believe it? Today I was listening to a 400€ hi-fi rig and it doesn't have this sound quality. Not even close. My 1500€ Pioneer system is the only one that delivers these levels of detail (both bass and treble and instrument separation).

Nov 30, 2012 at 7:50 AM Post #329 of 1,489
Quote:
What accessories are included with k167?

I'm still debating on Pioneer hdj 2000 vs k167's
but leaning towards Pioneer due to their magnesium alloy housing, removable cable, being a non-branded headphone, and having high reps all around
Now a few posts back someone mentioned sound quality of both are similar, with 2000's being a bit brighter.

Anyone opposed to the purchase of hdj 2000's over k167's and why?
(I find that they're about the same price at $199 k167's and $205 for 2000's)

hard match

Sure I did and they're exceptionaly good. MAGNIFICENT treble extension and decay, cymbals are so natural, so real, along with the TIGHTEST and DEEPEST bass I've heard on a closed can. Clear, liquid mids. Overall, lots of detail on all those legends (since vocals to electric, bass and acoustic guitars, drums, percussion instruments and everything), but always mantaining the musicality (analytical, but not excessively). Very good Dynamics, Pace, Rythm and Timing (PRaT). A High-End experience, nothing to do with a $200 phone, but easily a $400 one.

Please everyone, do not confuse the K167s with DJ cans (I've been receiving lots of PMs concerning this), because these do not sound as such. These sound as STUDIO/audiophile cans. Higher-end ones, not even $250-$300 ones.

Tiesto wont be wrong.

Nov 30, 2012 at 9:29 AM Post #330 of 1,489
I had the momentum's for a couple of weeks. I returned them because I found that the noise isolation wasn't very good, the sound was too "forgiving." The bass, while present and powerful, felt slow and almost echo-like to me. Also the soundstage was fairly small.

This isn't to say that they aren't very good headphones, and they look stylish as well. It's just that to me they seemed to bring poorly recorded tracks up to a better level and higher quality tracks down to a lower level at the same time.

They were also, imho, useless when trying to remix. The bass response is just too slow for me. I couldn't tell when a track was slipping until almost too late on more than one occasion. I have no such problems with the K167's.

I have had the K167's for 4 days now and I immediately noticed the high frequency detail vs the Momentums. I can also hear suble things more clearly (eg on recordings you can hear fingers sliding across acoustic guitar strings clearly and you can even hear the rebound off the bottom of a snare drum on jazz tracks). I guess revealing is a word you could use to describe them.

Of the headphones I've tried recently (and there have been some dogs), these are the most open, revealing, and comfortable. The sound isolation is great, I can drive them off portable devices. Most of my listening is done off a Macbook (native sound card), a Behringer mixer or a Hercules mixer. I can't notice an appreciable difference between the headphone out on the behringer vs the macbook.

As others have posted here, the burn in is dramatic. My first reaction was "great highs! Where's the bass??" But after a couple of days using and burning, the bass is very present, and as I said, really tight. This headphone is a winner for me.

I may get K267's eventually, but I'm really happy with these right now.

(Other headphones tried).
  1. Beats Mixr (Don't judge me)
  2. Sennheiser Momentum
  3. Sennheiser Amperior
  4. Sennheiser HD 558
  5. B&W P5
  6. Sony XBA3 (IEM, I still have these, they are my go to IEM's)
  7. B&W C5 (IEM)
  8. Klipsch Image One (2010 Model).

Hope this helps somebody out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back