AKG K167 TIËSTO - Discussion, Impression, Review & Appreciation Thread
Nov 30, 2012 at 5:35 PM Post #347 of 1,489
Quote:
To honor the apparent quality of these headphones - I've added them to the Mid-Fi Portable Battle 2012 thread. All of the headphones listed there are in almost direct competition in terms of sound & value.

beerchug.gif

Nov 30, 2012 at 5:59 PM Post #348 of 1,489
Quote:

Thats right and I hope I won't regret the upgrade (the money spent), when I'm loving the K167s to death.

I guess I didn't factor in price for you guys - for me, it's the difference between $190 and $295 - so it's more justifiable.

Yeah, here in the states that pricing is similar. But a hundred bucks is still a hundred bucks. I hate paying that much for something I fear won't last me 5 years. I hope these are that durable.

I really wanted that detachable cable and I was interested in the bass settings of the 267 but also want to by an amp. So I guess now its down to no amp and get 267s or 167 with an e11.

I guess I could wait 2 weeks and wait for the reviews and then order but I'm growing impatient.

Nov 30, 2012 at 6:16 PM Post #351 of 1,489
Positive responses from everyone. As expected :)

Also, I tried to email AKG about a replacement hinge, but the headphone is too new. I will be doing a driver transplant into a more durable body, because I like the sound that much that I would do
this. For now I'm just taking them apart and I'll be looking around.

http://photos-c.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/s720x720/20428_465789730124849_124552294_n.jpg

Nov 30, 2012 at 7:26 PM Post #353 of 1,489
Quote:
I had the momentum's for a couple of weeks. I returned them because I found that the noise isolation wasn't very good, the sound was too "forgiving." The bass, while present and powerful, felt slow and almost echo-like to me. Also the soundstage was fairly small.

This isn't to say that they aren't very good headphones, and they look stylish as well. It's just that to me they seemed to bring poorly recorded tracks up to a better level and higher quality tracks down to a lower level at the same time.

They were also, imho, useless when trying to remix. The bass response is just too slow for me. I couldn't tell when a track was slipping until almost too late on more than one occasion. I have no such problems with the K167's.

I have had the K167's for 4 days now and I immediately noticed the high frequency detail vs the Momentums. I can also hear suble things more clearly (eg on recordings you can hear fingers sliding across acoustic guitar strings clearly and you can even hear the rebound off the bottom of a snare drum on jazz tracks). I guess revealing is a word you could use to describe them.

Of the headphones I've tried recently (and there have been some dogs), these are the most open, revealing, and comfortable. The sound isolation is great, I can drive them off portable devices. Most of my listening is done off a Macbook (native sound card), a Behringer mixer or a Hercules mixer. I can't notice an appreciable difference between the headphone out on the behringer vs the macbook.

As others have posted here, the burn in is dramatic. My first reaction was "great highs! Where's the bass??" But after a couple of days using and burning, the bass is very present, and as I said, really tight. This headphone is a winner for me.

I may get K267's eventually, but I'm really happy with these right now.

(Other headphones tried).
  1. Beats Mixr (Don't judge me)
  2. Sennheiser Momentum
  3. Sennheiser Amperior
  4. Sennheiser HD 558
  5. B&W P5
  6. Sony XBA3 (IEM, I still have these, they are my go to IEM's)
  7. B&W C5 (IEM)
  8. Klipsch Image One (2010 Model).

Hope this helps somebody out.

Its about taste, and nobody arguing Sennheiser's signature being "bad"

Positive responses from everyone. As expected 
smily_headphones1.gif

Also, I tried to email AKG about a replacement hinge, but the headphone is too new. I will be doing a driver transplant into a more durable body, because I like the sound that much that I would do
this. For now I'm just taking them apart and I'll be looking around.
http://photos-c.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/s720x720/20428_465789730124849_124552294_n.jpg

Durability still haunting issue

Nov 30, 2012 at 7:44 PM Post #355 of 1,489
I should have recorded it, but after taking the earcups off, I went ahead and broke the headband and the opposite hinge with just my hands. Not a pretty sight. Sitting on or dropping these at standing height would mean instant death. So be careful everyone. I took one for the team.

Nov 30, 2012 at 7:49 PM Post #356 of 1,489
Quote:
I should have recorded it, but after taking the earcups off, I went ahead and broke the headband and the opposite hinge with just my hands. Not a pretty sight. Sitting on or dropping these at standing height would mean instant death. So be careful everyone. I took one for the team.

Thankfully, the aluminium on the K267's means it wont break or shatter like that. Thank you regardless.

Nov 30, 2012 at 7:56 PM Post #357 of 1,489

I do not understand why you didn't just send them back for warranty replacement? It's not acceptable that they broke so fast. Now you really made impossible to return them :)

I'm really considering these base on all the good comments on the sound and the comparison of the Denon DN-HP700 that I loved. If I buy these and meet my expectation I'm ready to let my T1 go. My other option is to trade my Beyer T1 with Denon D7000. :D

Nov 30, 2012 at 8:05 PM Post #358 of 1,489
I never care for warranties. I'm that person that will buy a $400 GPU and take it apart as soon as I get home to replace the stock thermal paste and heatsink. I have that 'do it yourself' mentality.

Nov 30, 2012 at 8:11 PM Post #359 of 1,489
Quote:
I'm really considering these base on all the good comments on the sound and the comparison of the Denon DN-HP700 that I loved. If I buy these and meet my expectation I'm ready to let my T1 go

There's no comparison. These are WAY superior to the DENON HP700, since bass (much tighter, deeper) to treble (resolution/detail), to instrument separation and everything in the between. And I LOVED the HP700 before listening to the K167's. They were my prefered portable cans.

Nov 30, 2012 at 8:56 PM Post #360 of 1,489
Quote:
I had the momentum's for a couple of weeks. I returned them because I found that the noise isolation wasn't very good, the sound was too "forgiving." The bass, while present and powerful, felt slow and almost echo-like to me. Also the soundstage was fairly small.

This isn't to say that they aren't very good headphones, and they look stylish as well. It's just that to me they seemed to bring poorly recorded tracks up to a better level and higher quality tracks down to a lower level at the same time.

Thank you! In one sentence, you have summed up the problem with 95% of $300 (and under) headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back