AKG K167 TIËSTO - Discussion, Impression, Review & Appreciation Thread
Dec 8, 2012 at 8:48 PM Post #587 of 1,489
dweaver, sir, would you mind adding the Edition 8s into your three-way shootout? I'll be waiting! :D

Sorry but while I could afford the K167 the Edition 8 is a weeeee bit out of my price range :)

Dec 8, 2012 at 8:52 PM Post #588 of 1,489
I'm amazing how Headphoneus Supremuses like you treat newbies like me with so much respect, I really appreciate it, guys.
Yeah, my dad was going to buy me an Edition 8 or a D7100 if I got into an Ivy, but then I saw this one. :wink:

Dec 8, 2012 at 9:12 PM Post #590 of 1,489
Quote:
Lily, any more thoughts after some burn in?

Well, pink noise for 24Hr worked some magic the recessiveness I mentioned pretty much cleared up using miow's magical burn-in playlist so I can report back soon with a for-sure opinion after that!  Which....will be tomorrow afternoon.

As for portability, I think it would work fine (Though I could be baised since > purses) The Koss DJ100 has coiled cable and there was never an issue infact it helps a lot in the fact you wont actually snare the loose wire somewhere by accident, also the fact its coiled in the center doesnt make me feel like theres pressure applied to one side of the headphone for the "pulling" sensation the DJ100s coiled cables gave me (Only other coiled I ever owned) if they got tight.

The cushions are 2CM high from the base of the headphone body, 5cm across from side to side and the sides are 9CM at their center width (so 9CM since, circular) thats not too big, but not too small.

Dec 8, 2012 at 9:13 PM Post #591 of 1,489
I'd love a Sure 940/K167/M50(s) showdown.
I love the 940s but they lacked bass for me. Their treble and clarity were as good as I have heard.

Dec 8, 2012 at 9:16 PM Post #592 of 1,489
Quote:
I'd love a Sure 940/K167 showdown.
I love the 940s but they lacked bass for me. Their treble and clarity were as good as I have heard.

Pretty much stated K167 arent bass monsters, they sound pretty good overall but don't have the lack of bass defined by older AKG headphones (A good thing), nor the "almost" over-powering bass with mirky mids/trebs that plagued the on-ear models from AKG.

The bass is here, enough for it to sound full (Still havent fully burned my unit in ) without lacking even for Dub.

Dec 8, 2012 at 9:17 PM Post #593 of 1,489
I get that coiled cables are heavier, but I have always preferred them to straight, because generally they're too long. My K81 DJs have like a 10' cord. I always have to wrap it around my ipod classic a dozen times to make it a decent length. Hate that. The coiled cable was actually a selling feature of the 167 for me. If it didn't have it, I probably would have opted for the 267.

Dec 8, 2012 at 9:18 PM Post #594 of 1,489
Quote:
I'd love a Sure 940/K167 showdown.

Pretty much stated K167 arent bass monsters, they sound pretty good overall but don't have the lack of bass defined by older AKG headphones (A good thing), nor the "almost" over-powering bass with mirky mids/trebs that plagued the on-ear models from AKG.

The bass is here, enough for it to sound full (Still havent fully burned my unit in ) without lacking even for Dub.

Great to hear. I am not a bass head but close.

Dec 8, 2012 at 9:41 PM Post #596 of 1,489
So how would the bass compare to headphones such as DT880, M50, K702, HD650?

Cant wait until I can answer that. I was considering Momentums, DT770, COPs, K701/Q701, M50s, 940, and a handful of others. For me listening is almost purely a portable experience. Most of my listening comes on planes, so a closed all-round phone with good bass and treble was what I was shooting for. Everyone makes me think these fit the bill. Soon to find out.

Dec 8, 2012 at 9:45 PM Post #597 of 1,489
They have the same quantity of bass of the M50, but it's much tighter (and deeper). Theres more detail/texture too. I consider myself a basshead and this bass satisfies my needs (after burn-in - there's some phenomena that they deliver less bass out of the box).

Dec 8, 2012 at 9:57 PM Post #598 of 1,489
Quote:

Normally, I despise coiled cables.  But, this one happens to work quite well.  It is not a cable that is a burden, it is relatively lightweight, and when retracted, the coiled portion is only about 18" and then you have a 20" and 6" straight wires from the cup to the coiled part and the coiled part to the plug.  The standard plug is a 3.5mm plug. However, there is a 1/4" screw-on gold plug that really works well, and since it is a screw-on variation, it is more secure and you are less likely to lose it.

The hinges have a single post point where they attach and swivel at the cup level.  The connector post is about 1/4" in diameter and seems solid - possibly made from the carbon plastic that the rest of the headphone structure is.  Granted, the headphones will not take a lot of abuse from throwing around like a studio monitor might - but, they are not super fragile, either. Certainly under regular use, they will hold up quite well.

I've got to admit, at the $200.00 price point, the K167 is a real winner.  I will post my impressions on the sound a bit later tonight, yet it is very good. I do have some suggestions about the sound where I can make some very low cost (almost free) recommendations on some "work-arounds" that a person could use to tailor the sound for them.  Granted, there is no single one heapdphone that will appeal to all.  But, I do think there is some nice flexibility with these cans that makes them a pleasure to own.

More to follow a bit later ....

Thanks for the detailed response wje!
I'm having some trouble determining whether I should just get these or the K267s, if only for the better build. I want a pair that I wont have to upgrade for a couple of years.
Waiting for more impressions. 

Dec 8, 2012 at 10:01 PM Post #599 of 1,489
Thanks for the detailed response wje!
I'm having some trouble determining whether I should just get these or the K267s, if only for the better build. I want a pair that I wont have to upgrade for a couple of years.
Waiting for more impressions. 

ill thinking of waiting for the k267
the metal hinges and replaceable cable is worth the extra money for me
they look pretty cheap in the recent photo posted though

Dec 8, 2012 at 10:14 PM Post #600 of 1,489
Quote:
Cant wait until I can answer that. I was considering Momentums, DT770, COPs, K701/Q701, M50s, 940, and a handful of others. For me listening is almost purely a portable experience. Most of my listening comes on planes, so a closed all-round phone with good bass and treble was what I was shooting for. Everyone makes me think these fit the bill. Soon to find out.

I'll be using these for a 12 Hour flight so I can comment on that firsthand... monday, depends how soon you want to know. Still not done with miows 24HR playlist but Im listening anyways and the bass is clean and deep and Listening to DJ Fresh - Louder gives me happy feelings everywhere, treble is VERY clear I have no complaints. I felt like I was listening to a K530 (Airy, Recessed) out of box but burn in really changes everything lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back