AKG K167 TIËSTO - Discussion, Impression, Review & Appreciation Thread
Dec 8, 2012 at 6:43 PM Post #572 of 1,489
Which do you think looks better: K167 or K267? From far-shot Google pics, the K167 looks more stately (like an icon of "Headphone"), but up close it looks cheap because of the glossy synthetic plastic. Is the K267 any better? I kind of feel that the K267 isn't as classy as its predecessor because of all its bling (the center ring). Opinions?
BTW I'm new to head-fi. I love this community. Shows up first on my Top Sites every time.

Dec 8, 2012 at 7:10 PM Post #575 of 1,489
please help me out. as a DJ and producer im trying to kill 2 birds with one stone. i was dead set on buying the beyerdanymics 770 pro for 170 $ on amazon but i see you can buy the tiesto akg 167 for 180 $

how well will the akgs do for both mixing on the go AND doing live gigs. i love how they look i liek tiesto little symbol its all so well put together. what i dont like its probabbly not hte best for studio work !!!! should i just save to get both or will the 167 do well

the audio interface i was looking at was the foccusrite sapphire 6. what do you guys think of my situation all advice is greatly appreciated. 

Dec 8, 2012 at 7:17 PM Post #576 of 1,489
No, I like the plastic. In fact, I love the looks of them and they've made ALOT of success on street - friends and stuff :p

Quote:
please help me out. as a DJ and producer im trying to kill 2 birds with one stone. i was dead set on buying the beyerdanymics 770 pro for 170 $ on amazon but i see you can buy the tiesto akg 167 for 180 $

how well will the akgs do for both mixing on the go AND doing live gigs. i love how they look i liek tiesto little symbol its all so well put together. what i dont like its probabbly not hte best for studio work !!!! should i just save to get both or will the 167 do well

the audio interface i was looking at was the foccusrite sapphire 6. what do you guys think of my situation all advice is greatly appreciated. 

Since the K167s sound like a Studio headphone and not like a DJ headphone (sound quality is superb since tight and deep bass to very detailed treble), I'm pretty sure this is what you need for producing. They are much much better than the DT770's. Lets say the DT770s sound like a $150 can, these sound like a $300+ can (easily and I'm being modest just in case).

Dec 8, 2012 at 7:19 PM Post #577 of 1,489
I just bit and ordered one from eBay.

So... I have a big head, and I'm afraid mine will crack just like that one guy here. If I handled these headphones at the hinges not the earcups themselves, would that help prevent the cracking?

Dec 8, 2012 at 7:43 PM Post #578 of 1,489
Hey miow,
First of all thank you for being such a welcoming friend. Is there anything I can do for you (ratings/thumbs up)?
Have you tried the Edition 8s? How do these K167s compare? I have ESW9a, and I don't like its biting leather cups. And it's a bit too balanced for a teenager xD
What can you say about the non-detachable cable? This is the only factor that I'm worried about. I'm quite clumsy.
Are these suitable for R&B, soul, funk, hip-hop, etc?

Dec 8, 2012 at 8:11 PM Post #580 of 1,489
Quote:
Hey miow,
First of all thank you for being such a welcoming friend. Is there anything I can do for you (ratings/thumbs up)?
Have you tried the Edition 8s? How do these K167s compare? I have ESW9a, and I don't like its biting leather cups. And it's a bit too balanced for a teenager xD
What can you say about the non-detachable cable? This is the only factor that I'm worried about. I'm quite clumsy.
Are these suitable for R&B, soul, funk, hip-hop, etc?

You're welcome :)

No clue about the Edition 8's. For R&B, Soul, Funk, Hip-Hop, etc, they perform wonderfully. As well as Trance, Deeo House, Dub-Step, etc, Instrumental, Classical, Jazz, etc. Even Metal. Thats how versatile they are. 

I don't mind about the non-.detachable cable to be frank.

Dec 8, 2012 at 8:21 PM Post #581 of 1,489
well, the seller counter offered at $175 plus their shipping was very reasonable so I bit... total cost $183 which I though was pretty reasonable. I will offer some comparisons between the K550 and the K167 when they arrive. If I still have the SRH-940 at that point I will maybe do a three way shootout :)

Dec 8, 2012 at 8:23 PM Post #583 of 1,489
Quote:
well, the seller counter offered at $175 plus their shipping was very reasonable so I bit... total cost $183 which I though was pretty reasonable. I will offer some comparisons between the K550 and the K167 when they arrive. If I still have the SRH-940 at that point I will maybe do a three way shootout :)

That will be interesting ; )

Quote:
miow, Would you say the bass adjustments along with the larger driver on the K267 are worth the $160?

Thats hard to say, but if you're a basshead, you might welcome a little bit more bass. Otherwise, the K167's bass is more than enough, trust me.  The larger driver can give a bit better instrument separation, just that, as I can't concieve any better bass and treble than this, using the same materials. The detachable cable is always a plus too, if you're willing to invest in a serious cable like silver (which makes the difference in micro-detail).

Dec 8, 2012 at 8:34 PM Post #585 of 1,489
If the M50 bass level is more than enough for me, would the K167 bass be enough? Man, I'm so excited!!
Haha, I'm not exactly a basshead, I just don't like the airy feel of my HD497 since I got into hip-hop from classical.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back