AKG K167 TIËSTO - Discussion, Impression, Review & Appreciation Thread
Nov 24, 2012 at 1:11 AM Post #181 of 1,489
Finally home T___T I've only used them for about an hour, so I'll quickly say that these are better than the recent AKG K618DJ ($99) as I expected.  All I wanted was more detail to go along with that bass and larger earcups.  It is much more detailed, but a notch lower on the bass.  The kick drum sounded the same as the K618, meaning it's really noticable in rock songs.  Although on the K618, it was so much that it felt like they were kicking your face instead.  Some people are into that though.

The rest of the sound spectrum on the K167?  Great so far. :)  I'm very picky on the vocals, and these do it well.  The highs aren't harsh or bright.  Lots of detail with bass, that's what everyone wants, and these have it.

Nothing about the sound is annoying me right now.  For the build though, I don't like that when around your neck they can't fold down.  I use my headphones everywhere, so if I'm not using them I want them to fold flat, faced down, and out of the way, not in a V shape.  They aren't uncomfortable around your neck because the pads are wide, but I hate the feeling like I just got in a car wreck and wearing a neck brace.  If I were to use these as a beat monitor, you'd have to fold them flat anyway.

The polymer durability adds to the cost, but I think it's worth it.  I wish it came with the same straight cable on the K618 because it was a good length, which to me means if the cable touches the floor, it's long enough.  I like long cables.  I'm not impressed with the quality of this coiled cable.  It feels really cheap and already tangles up.

Also, I paid for a used pair ($10 off), but I got a new one in a shrink wrapped box with the seal stickers intact.  Win.
For $180 are these worth it?  Yes.

I gave all my headphones away because I was preparing to move.  The only one I have left was the SRH940, so here's some pics.

Can you do a bit of comparison between these and 940? Not so much a which is "better" but a sonic comparison. I own the 940 so it will help me understand what these are about.

Thanks

Nov 24, 2012 at 2:17 AM Post #182 of 1,489
I think these are about detail and fun. Excelent treble, clear mids and detailed, tight and deep bass. Great dynamics, good PRaT. 

Since you know the DENON HP700, dweaver, these have even better treble (resolution) and better bass (much tighter and deeoer). Also superior dynamics. The sound sig is similar, with a bit more forward treble on the K167's. These also have a wider soundstage and better PRaT. The HP700 sound a bit boring in comparison (although very good - you even compare them to the DENON D7000 and I loved them before listening to the K167's).

Nov 24, 2012 at 3:29 AM Post #185 of 1,489
Send me your ue6000 or dt1350 and I send you my K167s. Deal?
wink_face.gif

Nov 24, 2012 at 4:36 AM Post #186 of 1,489
These sound like a dream except for the cable which makes them useless from a portability perspective.

Nov 24, 2012 at 6:01 AM Post #188 of 1,489
Miow, probably these headphones sound really great, but I think you are praising them too much already :). You start looking like someone who's paid for doing this just posting in the same thread how good they are all over again. I think it was quite clear what you think from the first pages. People would like to read opinions from different persons.

Nov 24, 2012 at 2:20 PM Post #190 of 1,489
Quote:
Can you do a bit of comparison between these and 940? Not so much a which is "better" but a sonic comparison. I own the 940 so it will help me understand what these are about.
Thanks

I'm not good at describing sonic characteristics with fancy words..
The drums and bass guitar are more forward on the K167 and it just sounds fuller.  It's not overpowering bass, so it is able to play rock and metal really well and then switch back to electronic music no problem.  A trait that I've always been looking for in a headphone because I listen to so many genres.
There is really good instrument and vocal separation too.  The SRH940 is very detailed, but the K167 is also very detailed in it's own way.  Probably because it sounds fuller.
The K167 feels like you are in a smaller bar/club/room while the SRH940 sounds more like a wider concert stage?  Maybe it's the velour pads on the SRH940 that gives that feeling.
Perhaps the vocals are slightly recessed on the K167 compared to the SRH940.
The K167 also doesn't get as loud, and I have to put it at max volume on my phone.  On my computer I use about 50% vol with the SRH940, and I have to put it near 80% with the K167.
Also the SRH940 is more comfortable.

Nov 24, 2012 at 2:59 PM Post #191 of 1,489
The top of my ears was touching the plastic inside and it was getting uncomfortable after a while.  I did an old trick, which is simply putting a Qtip in the area you think your ear would touch.  This adds an extra 1-2mm gap and it does not change sound (I think).  Much better now and I don't feel my ears touching the inner wall.

Nov 24, 2012 at 4:06 PM Post #192 of 1,489
EDIT: Listening to some Jazz now and the soundstage is HUGE, have never heard anything like this, except open cans. The treble is also very refined, even better than the treble of the Denon HP700.

The K167 feels like you are in a smaller bar/club/room while the SRH940 sounds more like a wider concert stage? Maybe it's the velour pads on the SRH940 that gives that feeling.

:confused:

Nov 24, 2012 at 4:32 PM Post #193 of 1,489
I don't listen to jazz or live concert audio.  I listen to some orchestrated and acoustic music though, and I do think it sounds great, but the SRH940 still does it better.  Not that I even care about soundstage much since I listen to mostly metal and electronic music.

Nov 24, 2012 at 6:25 PM Post #195 of 1,489

The drums and bass guitar are more forward on the K167 and it just sounds fuller.  It's not overpowering bass, so it is able to play rock and metal really well and then switch back to electronic music no problem.  A trait that I've always been looking for in a headphone because I listen to so many genres.
There is really good instrument and vocal separation too.  The SRH940 is very detailed, but the K167 is also very detailed in it's own way.  Probably because it sounds fuller.
The K167 feels like you are in a smaller bar/club/room while the SRH940 sounds more like a wider concert stage?  Maybe it's the velour pads on the SRH940 that gives that feeling.
Perhaps the vocals are slightly recessed on the K167 compared to the SRH940.
The K167 also doesn't get as loud, and I have to put it at max volume on my phone.  On my computer I use about 50% vol with the SRH940, and I have to put it near 80% with the K167.
Also the SRH940 is more comfortable.

Thanks that is exactly what I was looking for :).

I have a feeling I would like these. I may wait until the K267 is released so I can jettison the long cable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back