AKG K167 TIËSTO - Discussion, Impression, Review & Appreciation Thread
Nov 23, 2012 at 5:32 AM Post #166 of 1,489
The more I listen to these phones the more I like them. I've been rediscovering all my discography. What amazes me the most is Jazz, due to such refined, natural, ultra-realistic treble. Superb! But any genre works perfectly with them. They're really versatile. I've just tried some Vocal Trance and felt some ear massage, which was a surprise. Bass has more impact than what I thought when it is called for. 

Nov 23, 2012 at 9:50 AM Post #168 of 1,489
Take a look at the right side, they are not as tight as the left side, maybe I should exchange them?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=643TML2WCxQ

By the way, can you please check your headband, you know where you adjust according to your size?
It seems the right side of my K167 are loose compared to the left side, I hope you understand what I mean, I'm thinking it's by design, but not sure.

Nov 23, 2012 at 10:55 AM Post #170 of 1,489
Quote:
Take a look at the right side, they are not as tight as the left side, maybe I should exchange them?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=643TML2WCxQ

That happens with headphones sometimes. It's just a QC slip-up, but it doesn't mean they'll break or anything. It's just that the 'clicker' is looser on the left side.

Nov 23, 2012 at 11:24 AM Post #172 of 1,489
Quote:
The more I listen to these phones the more I like them. I've been rediscovering all my discography. What amazes me the most is Jazz, due to such refined, natural, ultra-realistic treble. Superb! But any genre works perfectly with them. They're really versatile. I've just tried some Vocal Trance and felt some ear massage, which was a surprise. Bass has more impact than what I thought when it is called for. 

drooling

Nov 23, 2012 at 12:26 PM Post #175 of 1,489
These do sound quite appealing.

Nov 23, 2012 at 12:53 PM Post #176 of 1,489
Finally home T___T I've only used them for about an hour, so I'll quickly say that these are better than the recent AKG K618DJ ($99) as I expected.  All I wanted was more detail to go along with that bass and larger earcups.  It is much more detailed, but a notch lower on the bass.  The kick drum sounded the same as the K618, meaning it's really noticable in rock songs.  Although on the K618, it was so much that it felt like they were kicking your face instead.  Some people are into that though.

The rest of the sound spectrum on the K167?  Great so far. :)  I'm very picky on the vocals, and these do it well.  The highs aren't harsh or bright.  Lots of detail with bass, that's what everyone wants, and these have it.

Nothing about the sound is annoying me right now.  For the build though, I don't like that when around your neck they can't fold down.  I use my headphones everywhere, so if I'm not using them I want them to fold flat, faced down, and out of the way, not in a V shape.  They aren't uncomfortable around your neck because the pads are wide, but I hate the feeling like I just got in a car wreck and wearing a neck brace.  If I were to use these as a beat monitor, you'd have to fold them flat anyway.

The polymer durability adds to the cost, but I think it's worth it.  I wish it came with the same straight cable on the K618 because it was a good length, which to me means if the cable touches the floor, it's long enough.  I like long cables.  I'm not impressed with the quality of this coiled cable.  It feels really cheap and already tangles up.

Also, I paid for a used pair ($10 off), but I got a new one in a shrink wrapped box with the seal stickers intact.  Win.
For $180 are these worth it?  Yes.

I gave all my headphones away because I was preparing to move.  The only one I have left was the SRH940, so here's some pics.

Nov 23, 2012 at 8:15 PM Post #177 of 1,489
Damn, the bass is so tight and deep and fast, with lots of detail. It's maybe the best bass (quality) I've heard. Wondering how will the K267's bass sound like :p

TIËSTO's my hero. lol.

Nov 23, 2012 at 8:40 PM Post #178 of 1,489
Damn, the bass is so tight and deep and fast, with lots of detail. It's maybe the best bass (quality) I've heard. Wondering how will the K267's bass sound like :p

TIËSTO's my hero. lol.

I want you to know, you alone have sold me on these. Kudos to you. I'd buy yours, but that be like $230 us dollars. They are only like $175 here...

If my wife doesn't get these for me for Xmas, I'll be upset.

Nov 23, 2012 at 8:52 PM Post #179 of 1,489
Dood, Miow, you are overhyping these headphones.  Chill out...OK, I lie, THESE ARE BADASS OMG

Just noticed the frequency specs on the box are different from the site.  Although we know frequency doesn't mean much.  The box says 10Hz - 27kHz while the site says 15Hz - 23kHz.

Nov 23, 2012 at 8:53 PM Post #180 of 1,489
Yeah, they're much more expensive here. 240 EURO. Almost $300 USD.

Oh, I LOVE Europe. You know, we're reacher, we have to pay twice as much
confused_face.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back