AKG K1000 successor: Give me details!
Sep 21, 2007 at 4:00 PM Post #31 of 114
Quote:

Originally Posted by Davesrose /img/forum/go_quote.gif
:

Here's to having an open forum where while we might not share the same taste in headphones, we still share an interest in appreciating hi fi headphones!

AMEN AMEN

Sep 21, 2007 at 4:10 PM Post #32 of 114
Quote:

I said MY K1000, I had ten K1000 and all them sound different, some of them do not have an accettable bass (for example).

Wow, I didn't know the quality control on the K1000 was so poor. I'm kind of surprised a high-end company like AKG would let a problem like that continue unabated.

Sep 21, 2007 at 5:22 PM Post #33 of 114
Quote:

Nik and Blackmore,

I'm glad you guys found your audio nirvana with the K1000! I hope my opinions aren't taken personally.....as since I've joined this forum, I've come to the understanding that everyone just has different ears and preferences. IMO, that's what makes the characteristics in headphones just subtly different for everyone. For my own preferences/ears in seeking a balanced frequency/ adequate soundstage....I've found Sennheisers to be the best for my ears. But when I want a fun, colored headphone....I go for Grados. For whatever reason, AKGs don't do it for me personally. Obviously with the legions of AKG owners, this does not hold true for everyone. But I think because there are such differences in preference/ears....it just means good business for every headphone company
icon10.gif

Here's to having an open forum where while we might not share the same taste in headphones, we still share an interest in appreciating hi fi headphones!

I have just replayed your adfirmation about the "lack of bass" of the K1000 that is not true. Obviously, all of us here have his own preferences, but this is another question.

Sep 21, 2007 at 10:29 PM Post #34 of 114
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have just replayed your adfirmation about the "lack of bass" of the K1000 that is not true. Obviously, all of us here have his own preferences, but this is another question.

Well I haven't tried the K1000 on every sound system....just as everyone here tends to try out some headphones before settling on one to perfect, the AKG didn't move me enough to want to tailor a system around it.

Perhaps with a great pairing of system, I would find the bass acceptable. But I first look for a headphone that gives great timbre in classical guitar and percussions of a full scale orchestra (I'm a big classical guitar nut). Playing the guitar myself, I like having a headphone that puts me back a bit in tonality. With Senns I get a sense that I am back a little bit due to reverberation. With AKGs I get the sense that while there's some sound stage going around....the bass is lean and it's almost like I'm in a tunnel or something. Anyway, I think this difference in preference is also a difference in perception: we all have different shaped ears. Headphone makers try to make a diffusion field that seems natural to our perceptions: based on studies of a pool of people. For whatever reason, I find Sennheiser's methodology for diffusion more natural then AKGs. Just as I'm sure other people would find AKG's methodology more natural....that's why we have never ending Senn vs AKG debates on here
icon10.gif

Whether one feels as though the bass is just right or lean, not everyone feels the AKG1000 has the best bass. This review of the AKG1000 is probably a good unbiased and complimentary review....they do focus on the AKG's bass attributes.

http://www.enjoythemusic.com/superio...3/akgk1000.htm

Check out this Head-fi comparison by Edwood:

Quote:

Bass/Low Frequency- The K1000's infamous 50Hz roll off simply makes it no match for the R10. The R10's bass is far more pronouced. CD3000 has more bass and extends lower than the R10, though. The bass of the R10 has more detail and is a bit tighter than the CD3000. Percussions with the R10's are the most pronouced, with snare drums and bass drums impacting with tightness and clarity that is unmatched by the CD3000 or the K1000. If I had to pin down one "Wow" factor that the R10's excel at the most, it would be Percussion instruments.

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=69761

Now obviously you find the k1000 to have the best frequency range and imaging on your setup.....but because of different sources and ears, I do think that there can be subtle differences in perception that leads to our big debates around here
icon10.gif

Sep 21, 2007 at 11:06 PM Post #35 of 114
I couldn't be happier if AKG release an update to the K1000.

I consider the K1000 / speaker amp combo to be superior and more enjoyable to DHA3000/L3000 by a significant margin.
For me, these phones bring musical realism to another level and are currently my desert island rig.

I have to say that I was initially put off by the outlandish styling and open nature, as well as problematical nature of how to drive them. Then I saw a fairly new pair for sale in the UK and thought - well, why not?

I have to say, they're worth the effort....
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d6...B/_DSC0019.jpg

And they blow the 701 into the next galaxy.

Sep 21, 2007 at 11:31 PM Post #37 of 114
It isn't fair to judge the bass quality of any headphone - especially the K1000 - without listening to it with a proper amp and source. The lowest frequencies of the K1000 are definitely rolled off slightly, but the overall detail is still there with a good SPEAKER amp.
k1000smile.gif

Sep 21, 2007 at 11:46 PM Post #38 of 114
Totally agree with these 3 posts!

Sep 21, 2007 at 11:59 PM Post #39 of 114
The K1000 drivers have no issues creating bass.

But the completely undamped 'float' style enclosure guarantees that the back wave will cancel out much of the front wave, and bass will roll off.

Sep 22, 2007 at 12:07 AM Post #41 of 114
Quote:

Well I haven't tried the K1000 on every sound system....just as everyone here tends to try out some headphones before settling on one to perfect, the AKG didn't move me enough to want to tailor a system around it.

Perhaps with a great pairing of system, I would find the bass acceptable. But I first look for a headphone that gives great timbre in classical guitar and percussions of a full scale orchestra (I'm a big classical guitar nut). Playing the guitar myself, I like having a headphone that puts me back a bit in tonality. With Senns I get a sense that I am back a little bit due to reverberation. With AKGs I get the sense that while there's some sound stage going around....the bass is lean and it's almost like I'm in a tunnel or something. Anyway, I think this difference in preference is also a difference in perception: we all have different shaped ears. Headphone makers try to make a diffusion field that seems natural to our perceptions: based on studies of a pool of people. For whatever reason, I find Sennheiser's methodology for diffusion more natural then AKGs. Just as I'm sure other people would find AKG's methodology more natural....that's why we have never ending Senn vs AKG debates on here
icon10.gif

Whether one feels as though the bass is just right or lean, not everyone feels the AKG1000 has the best bass. This review of the AKG1000 is probably a good unbiased and complimentary review....they do focus on the AKG's bass attributes.

http://www.enjoythemusic.com/superio...3/akgk1000.htm

Check out this Head-fi comparison by Edwood:

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=69761

Now obviously you find the k1000 to have the best frequency range and imaging on your setup.....but because of different sources and ears, I do think that there can be subtle differences in perception that leads to our big debates around here
icon10.gif

First of all: I don't have any intention to convince you about the K1000 or HD650 or any others cans... I'd like to convince you that the K1000 needs ABSOLUTELY a perfetc driver to give the right sound. As I said, I had ten K1000 just to find the best one, and I have tried a lot of amps and cable and only after many and many tests I cans declare (NOW) what I have stated abou this incredible cans.

Nice to know that you too love classical guitar. I'm a classical guitar teacher, I have studied for ten years in the conservatory of music, and I have a lot of classical guitar CD. So we have something similar...
I had many concert guitars like Ramirez or Konho, or Paulinho Bernabe and other hand made just for my hands... this just to tell you that I'm too very exigent in hearing classical and especially guitars.

I had the HD650 (with Cary 300B integrated) for many mounts and I loved the setup A LOT. I also had (for two times) the fabolous R10 or Omega II or L3000 or Qualia, and nothing can touch the sound I have now, BUT this sound is built around the K1000 with any attention to the synergy for this cans. Power cords and tubes are very, very important. IMHO, the K1000 become FANTASTC with many SE 300B amps, especially WE 300B, this is what I have discovered, before this, even for me the K1000 was a good cans but nothing special...

If you are searching for other rew about K1000 try also 6moon... To be honest, I think that not all the guys who owned the K1000 had listened them to their best. This is the most difficult cans to be properly driven (IME).

Best regards
Nik

Sep 22, 2007 at 12:33 AM Post #43 of 114
Quote:

Originally Posted by J-Pak /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The bass I was getting with my old tube preamp and Pass Labs power amp was incredibly strong and had a lot of weight down to 40 Hz. And that setup was midfi at best compared to the 300B amps I'm considering- the K1000 is an incredible headphone.

X2 - I still have the Pass labs but will eventually go with 300B tubes.

It's the best headphone ever IMHO
k1000smile.gif

Sep 22, 2007 at 1:17 AM Post #45 of 114
Quote:

Originally Posted by Asr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The AKG rep made it sound like they're toying around with a K1000 successor all right. K2000 anyone?
tongue.gif

Well sennheiser isn't sitting still, why should akg? If they wanna sell more stuff, they have to make new cans once in a while!
rolleyes.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back