AKG K1000 or Stax?
Nov 6, 2002 at 12:12 AM Post #16 of 55
Rick
I've never accused you of the kind of rash defensiveness that other headphone propagandaists are guilty of and I'd not start here. I'm sorry I've given the impression that I'm so quick to jump on people for that.

If you say you prefer the Stax' build and fit, then I'm sure you do--no agenda implied.

But I don't. For me, the Beyers and Sennheisers are way more comfortable than any of Stax's phones.

Among Stax, I find the less expensive (less carefully stitched, cheaper materials, etc.) 404 more comfortable than the 007. Unfortunately the 007 just seems designed for a different shaped head than mine and some other people's. It seems "loose" and the ear pads seem to barely connect with my head adquately. The 404 is a much better fit on me, but I still prefer the "feel" of the German headphones--the DT770 being surprisingly a new favorite for that.

I also like the design of the R10 and W2002's headband. It seems like that might be more practical for electrostatics.

You can't really argue aesthetics. I don't expect us to all agree with which headphone fits best any more than we'd all agree on a hat size.

Nov 6, 2002 at 12:32 AM Post #17 of 55
Kelly, you're correct in the sense that no one head-set will feel (or look) the same to all. This was really not a jab at you or anyone else. I just had to get a few things off of my chest in regard to the R&D, and "quality" of the Stax products.

These are only my opinions and like I said, I won't shower them on the good people here too often! We are, above all, friends...and we will always have our own preferences when it comes to headphones.

wink.gif

Nov 6, 2002 at 12:35 AM Post #18 of 55
Rick
Your point is taken. I didn't mean to make it sound as if Stax had put no effort into their designs, only that I aesthetically liked Sennheiser and Beyer's results better.

Nov 6, 2002 at 2:29 AM Post #19 of 55
Regardless of my wishlist, I do appreciate the fine art that has gone into Stax's designs...stock 3030's would pass the desert ( or preferrably tropical) island test...I could live quite happily with them for a very long time. They communicate the, er, essence of the music like few others.

Just that restless upgrade bug bites once in a while...

cheerio...

WMS

Nov 6, 2002 at 4:53 AM Post #20 of 55
Quote:

Originally posted by FCJ
elrod-tom,

Isn't the 2020 system the "Basic" system? I had it for a while, and sold it. I have the K-1000 and love it. It's extremely revealing, and the top end "edge" is lessened by either: (1) extensive burn-in, or; (2) the Equinox K-1000 cable. The soundstage is amazing, as is it's midrange. For listening to jazz and classical, nothing beats it (at least as compared to what I've heard).

I've never heard the 3030 Stax system, so I can't comment on it. One benefit of either Stax system is that if you go with the complete system you'll get both phones and amp. If you don't have an amp for the K-1000, you'll have to factor that into the equation.

Also, since you're on Team AKG (how are the 340s doing?), you may be more comfortable with the K-1000s because they do exhibit some of the AKG family characteristics.

The 340's are doing well...as always.
biggrin.gif

If I opt to remain Team AKG, I will be using my Adcom power amp to drive them. I've seen other favorable posts about how they sound when driven by solid state gear. However, I've also heard wonderful things about how they present when driven by tubes. LONG TERM I hope to do something in that regard...oh well, sorry about my wallet.

Both options have appeal...and both have downsides as well. The thought of updating my power amp (AKG), or of buying a whole separate headphone amp (Stax) makes me grumpy...but I'm sure I'll get over it.

biggrin.gif

Nov 6, 2002 at 4:57 AM Post #21 of 55
Thanks to everyone for making this an interesting and informative thread. I continue to be impressed by the knowledge that my fellow head-fi'ers bring to this "hobby".

I'm more convinced than ever that I'll have to find a way to listen to both sets. Maybe I'll buy both?

Hey all you other married folks: Tell me...can you listen to top-flight audio gear in the doghouse?

very_evil_smiley.gif

Nov 6, 2002 at 6:00 AM Post #22 of 55
Quote:

Originally posted by elrod-tom
Hey all you other married folks: Tell me...can you listen to top-flight audio gear in the doghouse?

There is simply no better way to pass your time in the doghouse.

Well, actually, there is, but getting caught at that could easily cost you half your posessions and some lawyer fees. Stick with the audio, here, so that in a worst case scenario you can still go for the "no fault" version.

Nov 6, 2002 at 3:23 PM Post #24 of 55
Kelly
I have only heard the 007 amp briefly so I cannot really comment
there.
On the slam/weight issue I think the subject can be a difficult one,
on one hand more power in the lower registers could add more
desired impact etc but at the same time that energy needs
dissipating so there is a risk of 'adding' to areas where that little
extra is not wanted .
I am learning about this at the moment by adjusting the various parameters in those DIY phones of mine.

Whilst the Staxes can be open to criticism in the bass department
at times I feel they more than make up for any 'lack' in this area
with their control and definition.
Also I have little complaint on the Stax build quality,styling wise
I prefer the functional appearance to some of the rather over styled efforts of some other manufactures.
Won,t gain any points for street cred on the style front though!

Wildmonkeysects
The above mentioned Diy phones are not electrostatic they are
a ribbon transducer sort of design,there are details lurking
on the Diy forums somewhere.

Setmenu

Team Stax....flat driven all over thingies
biggrin.gif

Nov 8, 2002 at 11:55 PM Post #25 of 55
I had Stax for ten years, listened less and less to music.
Now have tubes and AKG, listen more.

I feel Stax are for impressing your friends, not so much for seriously listening to music.
This may be going against the perceived wisdom, but that is what I found.

Nov 9, 2002 at 3:12 AM Post #26 of 55
Quote:

Originally posted by Glyn
I had Stax for ten years, listened less and less to music.
Now have tubes and AKG, listen more.

I feel Stax are for impressing your friends, not so much for seriously listening to music.
This may be going against the perceived wisdom, but that is what I found.

But did you ever have tubes and Stax???
evil_smiley.gif

Nov 9, 2002 at 1:44 PM Post #28 of 55
elrod, to my ears, if u have an awesomely ridiculously killer tube amp, the AKG's will blow both the 2020's and the 3030's away. however, anything less and the 3030's sound better to my ears. the K1000's with tube amps built to drive uber high-impedance phones sound smoother, silkier, but the 3030's (to my ears) have more extension (at least in the upper range) and detail and sound more delicate (which i like).

i can say this tho, that if u go with the staxes, try to get an amp that is better than the SRM-212. i didn't have the money at the time, or else i would've gotten my 202 earspeakers with the amp that comes with the 3030 set... and if u'd be willing to shell out enuff to buy the 007t, i'd say that u're all set...
biggrin.gif

just some suggestions based on my impressions...

btw, i love my staxes... hehe... now that they're hooked up to a cdp that is quite warm will full bass, the setup is perfect for me...
smily_headphones1.gif

oh, and a last btw, i find the build of the staxes to be a little annoying. they are extremely comfy, but the squeaking that the plastic makes when u adjust the phones on ur head or when u sit back and the phones shift a little can get on my nerves a little...
frown.gif

Apr 2, 2003 at 4:21 PM Post #29 of 55
Quote:

Originally posted by FCJ

I have the K-1000 and love it. It's extremely revealing, and the top end "edge" is lessened by either: (1) extensive burn-in, or; (2) the Equinox K-1000 cable.

FCJ-
How long was that burn-in on the K1000s?
John

Apr 2, 2003 at 4:26 PM Post #30 of 55
Quote:

Originally posted by setmenu
If you can, obtain the Stax 404 headphone to partner the stax
amp of your choice[the 3030 amp upwards] in my view this
is the nicest of the lambda types[I use the 4040 combo].

people often state the Stax lacks bass,I would disagree here ,
for sure they could do with a bit more weight but they do go
down low.

I find the bass issues mentioned with various headphones
an interesting subject,I wonder whether the bass weight issue
in relation to the Stax phones is amp related or transducer related
as I have only heard them with Staxs own amps.

My own[DIY design] planar driven headphones [ribbon/planar magnetics] tend to go in the other direction offering no lack of
weight when called to provide it.[needing some attenuation in that department in fact]
I suppose each transducer design has its pros and cons but it always amazes me how quickly I adapt to a particular sound
until it sounds 'normal'.

Perhaps I am just easily pleased
wink.gif
rolleyes.gif
evil_smiley.gif

Enjoy your choice elrod-tom
smily_headphones1.gif

setmenu

Team flat thingys

My belief is that Stax open structure prevents the reinforcement that a closed type phone provides in the bass, but that these closed units also suffer from some distortion and resonances also, which is heard by the ear/brain as "more bass", but is really just noise.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back