AKG K1000 or Stax?
Apr 7, 2003 at 8:39 AM Post #48 of 55
i've never had the pleasure to try out Stax....

but as for the k1000, to me they aren't the best sounding headphones out there. they don't have much bass for one thing. ....but they do some things that no "headphone" out there can compete with. most obviously is a sound that's closer to loudspeakers than headphones. that may or may not be a good thing..... but that's still something that is specific to the k1000.

and secondly, .... for some strange reason, the k1000 allows you to pick out problems in recordings. i have no idea why... cause it's counterintuitive. usually the more closed a headphone is, the less ambient noise there is, and the more you can hear almost inaudible nuances. but for some reason, you can pick out all the voices and small details like clipping and distortion much easier than with any other headphones... or at least the ones i own.

perhaps it has something to do with transient response?--or something like that? i dunno...... so perhaps the k1000 has a bit in common with Stax too...

i'd imagine that Stax probably sounds better than k1000.... but i'm still very happy with my purchase.

Apr 7, 2003 at 9:47 AM Post #49 of 55
Well, I ended up getting the AKG K1000's, and (thought I've had little chance to listen to them yet) they are spectacular. Very open and natural. Now I just need to finish that @#$% Fisher restoration...

mad.gif
biggrin.gif

Apr 7, 2003 at 1:27 PM Post #50 of 55
Quote:

Originally posted by FCJ

Don't take my comments to mean that the stock cable is worthless. I just think that the Equinox provides a sonic benefit over and above the stock cable.

Have you ordered one yet?
evil_smiley.gif

Not yet..but I am at a crossroads...I am waiting to see if the VD Audition cables I have coming will help smooth the top end. They have been burned in by the previous owner. Here's the setup: Phillips 963SA>Kimber PBJ>nOrh se9>K1000 w/stock cable. The K1000s have had at least 85 hours of burn in as well as the CD player. The amp has about 300 hours on it and I am still finding the sound fatiguing to listen to for more than 45 mins. Not so much with classical, jazz or film music...but with classic rock and contemporaty country..the top is edgy and gives me a bit of a headache even at low volumes. I listen to tons of Bruce Springsteen, Nils Lofgren, Clint Black..these types of male vocalists.

I suppose I could listen to only classical/jazz/film/opera on that system and my other music on my main system with the CD3Ks. But, I like to be able to put on music of any kind when the mood hits me.

I was actually considering returning the AKGs and selling the nOrh if it does not improve in the 30 day trial period. I'm not sure I want to invest another $200 in the Equinox cable hoping it will make a difference. Between phones, source, amp and ICs...I already have spent $1615 on all the gear to make this one pair of headphones "sing".

Apr 7, 2003 at 2:18 PM Post #51 of 55
Quote:

Originally posted by JMedeiros
Not yet..but I am at a crossroads...I am waiting to see if the VD Audition cables I have coming will help smooth the top end. They have been burned in by the previous owner. Here's the setup: Phillips 963SA>Kimber PBJ>nOrh se9>K1000 w/stock cable. The K1000s have had at least 85 hours of burn in as well as the CD player. The amp has about 300 hours on it and I am still finding the sound fatiguing to listen to for more than 45 mins. Not so much with classical, jazz or film music...but with classic rock and contemporaty country..the top is edgy and gives me a bit of a headache even at low volumes. I listen to tons of Bruce Springsteen, Nils Lofgren, Clint Black..these types of male vocalists.

I suppose I could listen to only classical/jazz/film/opera on that system and my other music on my main system with the CD3Ks. But, I like to be able to put on music of any kind when the mood hits me.

I was actually considering returning the AKGs and selling the nOrh if it does not improve in the 30 day trial period. I''m not sure I want to invest another $200 in the Equinox cable hoping it will make a difference. Between phones, source, amp and ICs...I already have spent $1615 an all the gear to make this one pair of headphones "sing"

John,

I have the same setup, except for two changes--I use the DiMarzio basic interconnects and the Equinox cable. I admit that almost all of my listening is jazz/classical, but when I have listened to vocals they have not been grating at all. In fact, the other night I listened to a CD called "European Choral Music 1525-1751" for over an hour and was amazed at how natural it sounded.

I use the PBJs with my Gilmore, so the neutrality of the Gilmore offsets the tipped-up top end of the PBJs. I wonder if using the PBJs in combination with the stock cable is causing you listener fatigue. I recommend waiting until you get your new cable until you make a final judgement. If they improve the K-1000/nOrh combo, than I recommend going for the Equinox. If they don't, and you are completely unsatisified, I don't think you'll have a problem selling any of the components you have.

I also have the Sony 3000/HA-2/Philips setup, and I love it. However, I still prefer the nOrh/K-1000 setup.

Give it a little more time--it should pay big dividends in the end.

Apr 7, 2003 at 2:33 PM Post #52 of 55
Thanks FCJ..will do...thanks for the info on the PBJs..if there is one thing I am not looking for it is a "tipped-up top end"...I did not know that. I expect the new ICs today...and in the meantime the units continue their round-the-clock burn-in.

Apr 7, 2003 at 2:40 PM Post #53 of 55
Quote:

Originally posted by JMedeiros
Thanks FJC..will do...thanks for the info on the PBJs..if there is one thing I am not looking for it is a "tipped-up top end"...I did not know that. I expect the new ICs today...and in the meantime the units continue their round-the-clock burn-in.

John,

What interconnects are you using with the HA-2/Philips setup? Maybe you can swap them with the PBJs to see if there is a difference?

Apr 7, 2003 at 2:42 PM Post #54 of 55
Quote:

Originally posted by FCJ
John,

What interconnects are you using with the HA-2/Philips setup? Maybe you can swap them with the PBJs to see if there is a difference?

The same ones...PBJs, just a foot longer...the VDs should be here today...so I will be able to swap em into the K1000 setup. They are used from markl..so I know they will be burned in well.

John

Apr 7, 2003 at 5:24 PM Post #55 of 55
Quote:

Originally posted by Mike Scarpitti
My belief is that Stax open structure prevents the reinforcement that a closed type phone provides in the bass, but that these closed units also suffer from some distortion and resonances also, which is heard by the ear/brain as "more bass", but is really just noise.

I would not say more bass is always just noise.
Perhaps a particular transducer is just more efficient at a particular frequency ,which may well excite things [enclosure ,cavity etc]producing more distortion at that particular frequency.

I have done a fair bit of experimenting with bass on those
ribbon transducers of mine ,all the way from way too much to way too little.
Whilst bass can be boosted with cavity/enclosure tuning etc it can
also be a product of diaphragm excursion.[the ribbons are an open design]
All things being correct, [hmm,never really a possibility in any design] to my ear the effect of elevated excursion at low frequency seemed to bring the bass sources closer to the listener,
I remember with one rather excessive setting I felt I was
sat by a drum kit playing double bass,nice but not 'correct'.
Lots of excursion obviously can if too high cause upsets to other
frequency's by modulating them with the LF components.

I adore my Stax phones and have had little experience with other
phones compared to many here[my dynamics,non planar types are a pair of Beyer DT931s used in my portable rig].
But I do often find myself preferring concussive crack of a rim-shot
on the ribbons compared to the stax.

I suppose it is kind of irrelevant comparing and citing my Diy jobs
in comparison to the Staxs here as no one here has heard them but
from my perspective it is quite novel being able to actually change
a transducers sound as oppose to comparing factory with factory.

Setmenu
redface.gif
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back