AKG K1000 or Stax?
Apr 2, 2003 at 5:15 PM Post #31 of 55
Quote:

Originally posted by JMedeiros
FCJ-
How long was that burn-in on the K1000s?
John

John,

Hard to say, since I changed the original cable to the Equinox right after I bought the phones. I can tell you that the burn in on the Equinox is at least 85 or so hours (this is also what the instructions say). Both burn in of the phones and the change/burn in of the cable helps tame the top end a bit. The nOrh will also help. Which cable will you be using?

Apr 2, 2003 at 5:16 PM Post #32 of 55
Quote:

Originally posted by Mike Scarpitti
My belief is that Stax open structure prevents the reinforcement that a closed type phone provides in the bass, but that these closed units also suffer from some distortion and resonances also, which is heard by the ear/brain as "more bass", but is really just noise.

The AKG K-1000 that this thread is purportedly comparing to Stax is probably the most "open" headphone in existence, certainly more so than the Stax (only the Sony F-1 comes close).

Apr 2, 2003 at 5:26 PM Post #33 of 55
Quote:

Originally posted by Hirsch
The AKG K-1000 that this thread is purportedly comparing to Stax is probably the most "open" headphone in existence, certainly more so than the Stax (only the Sony F-1 comes close).

Ah so!

Apr 2, 2003 at 5:45 PM Post #35 of 55
Quote:

Originally posted by FCJ
John,

Hard to say, since I changed the original cable to the Equinox right after I bought the phones. I can tell you that the burn in on the Equinox is at least 85 or so hours (this is also what the instructions say). Both burn in of the phones and the change/burn in of the cable helps tame the top end a bit. The nOrh will also help. Which cable will you be using?

It the moment I am using the stock extension directly out of the taps on the nOrh.

Personally, I like the sound I hear...the top could be tamer...but I have played them less than 85 hours and im hoping burn-in and my new ICs (VD Reference) and Power cable will also help.

I have the setup playing away back in the bedroom at slightly louder then listening level.

Apr 2, 2003 at 5:58 PM Post #37 of 55
Quote:

Originally posted by JMedeiros
It the moment I am using the stock extension directly out of the taps on the nOrh.

Personally, I like the sound I hear...the top could be tamer...but I have played them less than 85 hours and im hoping burn-in and my new ICs (VD Reference) and Power cable will also help.

I have the setup playing away back in the bedroom at slightly louder then listening level.

John,

I've found that the replacement cable brings two improvements to the K-1000s. One, it makes the sound from top to bottom more cohesive. Two, it tames the top end a bit. Again, you may not notice these benefits without significant (>85 hours) burn in.

Don't take my comments to mean that the stock cable is worthless. I just think that the Equinox provides a sonic benefit over and above the stock cable.

Have you ordered one yet?
evil_smiley.gif

Apr 2, 2003 at 6:02 PM Post #38 of 55
Quote:

Originally posted by Mike Scarpitti
Mr Moto say: two Japanese units #1 and #2

That's Ah sou desuka.
Only peasants and students say "Ah So" in normal conversations with strangers.

Apr 2, 2003 at 9:34 PM Post #39 of 55
Quote:

Originally posted by FCJ
John,

I had the pleasure of auditioning msjjr's modded (different cable, not equinox) AKG K1000 with his uber-modded ASL AQ1005, and the edginess was still there and quite noticeable at that. I believe that his phones and the amp were quite burned in at that point too.

(just thinking out loud here) It is possible that the problems originate at that small PCB that you can see inside the earcups. I don't know what it does, but maybe removing/upgrading it could solve the problem with the top end. Somebody with a K1000 should try to figure out what is the purpose of that circuit
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back