AKG K 701 owner's thread
Apr 22, 2007 at 5:05 AM Post #226 of 370
Quote:

Originally posted by dw6928:
isn't this cd $60?

Gads, no. A quick search of the net found it for $24.00 and up. To me it's worth it for the burn-in and demagnetizing tracks alone. It has some other helpful test tracks, although for system testing purposes I prefer the Stereophile test disks.

Apr 22, 2007 at 9:34 AM Post #228 of 370
Quote:

Originally Posted by spinali /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The 701s have survived after nearly a dozen other phones have been sold. Somehow, their clear, accurate sound and sweet harmonics make the widest range of music enjoyable. My tunes go from classical to punk, and the 701 finds a way to address the genres (though good recordings don't hurt).

We need a K701 smiley to complement the grinning K1000 smiley. Anyone up for the task?

spinali...the links in that 'guide to headphone break in' are broken
wink.gif

I wanted to download the white noise stuff for my AKG 601's and found most of the links broken.... someone hasnt been paying the bills.

Apr 22, 2007 at 6:14 PM Post #229 of 370
Quote:

spinali...the links in that 'guide to headphone break in' are broken

Yikes!

You're right, kind of. The links fell to the bottom. They're still there, but I'll have to re-edit the HTML so it's more intuitive. Don't know how that happened. (?)

Thanks for the heads-up!

Apr 22, 2007 at 7:32 PM Post #230 of 370
Quote:

Originally Posted by skai /img/forum/go_quote.gif
does any u guys know it goes well with corda aria?

Hey, skai. 701s seem to go well with any relatively high-end amp with plenty of juice. They're tough to drive, especially the bass. With enough kick, the bass moves forward in the soundspace and thumps.

Apr 24, 2007 at 8:16 AM Post #233 of 370
Wow... I have a Little Dot Micro+ with my k701s for only a few hrs..... and (maybe I have never heard of good headphones)... but i cannot take them off... they are absolutely beautiful...

i can only imagine what they will do on something like a hornet...

The only little thing I find that sounds strange are cymbals... I have tried wav files and just for some reason... the cymbal doesn't seem to sound right... is it because I haven't burned them in yet?

i don't know what to say anymore... they sound amazing
smily_headphones1.gif

Sorry for my pointless repetition of past comments... but i am excited to have these things on my head.

Apr 24, 2007 at 3:16 PM Post #234 of 370
Sorry to make another post, but I need some advice on my new k701s. When the headphones are directly over my ears, everything is perfect, however if I have only one headphone over my ear... occasionally, the right side will cut out, I suspect a connection problem with the wire inside the leather strap. Should I return it?

Apr 24, 2007 at 4:22 PM Post #235 of 370
Quote:

Originally Posted by sschmeichel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sorry to make another post, but I need some advice on my new k701s. When the headphones are directly over my ears, everything is perfect, however if I have only one headphone over my ear... occasionally, the right side will cut out, I suspect a connection problem with the wire inside the leather strap. Should I return it?

There is no wire insde the leather headband, AKG uses the 2 metal "rods" that form the headband (above the leather) instead of wires as they are steel and thus conductive.

If there is an intermittant connection then yes, I would exchange them.

Apr 25, 2007 at 2:46 PM Post #236 of 370
Quote:

Originally Posted by sschmeichel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow... I have a Little Dot Micro+ with my k701s for only a few hrs..... and (maybe I have never heard of good headphones)... but i cannot take them off... they are absolutely beautiful...

i can only imagine what they will do on something like a hornet...

The only little thing I find that sounds strange are cymbals... I have tried wav files and just for some reason... the cymbal doesn't seem to sound right... is it because I haven't burned them in yet?

i don't know what to say anymore... they sound amazing
smily_headphones1.gif

Sorry for my pointless repetition of past comments... but i am excited to have these things on my head.

I've had mine for months, and they continue to amaze me. I really can't imagine an improvement. Yes, I'm a pathetic fanboy now.

Apr 26, 2007 at 2:34 AM Post #237 of 370
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hi-Finthen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yep, along with burn-in , your right SOURCE is ALL important with these cans!!! Rip to lossless for PC or go CDP for a higher output as preamping the signal for your amp to have more headroom. Also a better set of tubes would definatly help with the silibilance along with the above prerequisites. It does get better!!!

Best regards~

Sorry I took so long to reply, but I'm down in Florida (Mom's surgery went fine) and I have everything set up properly and continuing to burn in.

Well you and feifan hit it right on the head with your comments about the importance of the source. With the X-DAC v3, the K701/X-CAN v3 combo seems more than able to fracture my skull, should I choose to be so intemperate with the volume control. The bass (and the rest of the spectrum, for that matter), while not ripe by any means, now seems to have limitless impact and headroom. I am very happy with my purchase.

I still can't believe how BAD the audio out on my computer is. It was definitely the culprit in the bass overloading problem I was having.

Anyway, thanks to you and botching for your replies.

All the best,
Buelligan

Apr 26, 2007 at 3:03 AM Post #239 of 370
Quote:

Originally Posted by Veniogenesis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It seems like I'm no longer a AKG K701 owner.
frown.gif
*cries* Oh well, perhaps I will acquire one again in the future!

Whahappen? I would be one hurtin' unit. I hope you reacquire your target soon!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back