AKG K 701 owner's thread
Mar 14, 2007 at 10:02 PM Post #136 of 370
hey 701 owners,

I have recently regained my interest in this beautiful headphone. However, I was wondering if someone can describe its sound sig to me a little more. Preferably how it compares with, whats in my sig. I'll be using a dynahi or a recently acquired darkvoice 332i to drive, do you think it will be a good match? Also the main question, do they still retain that famous AKG mid that I enjoyed when I had the k271?

Thanks,

Mike

Apr 10, 2007 at 10:09 PM Post #137 of 370
It's easy to see that I haven't been around the Fi for too long, but among my small arsenal of audiophile-grade equipment are two sets of phones: SR225 and K701. Most nights I listen to jazz with a little Grateful Dead and Phish sprinkled throughout. When I am listening I am studying, the music that is. I am intently listening to each individual instrument, only since becoming a Head-Fier have I started using terms like "soundstage" or "coloration", as well as many other words that in the past I would only have used to describe an idividual's personality.
Having said that, I love the K701's, as much as the SR225's. My opinion is an amateur one, but I believe a valid one as well. I have read people's review of both phones and I find that in the end it really is all about what you (I)(We)(They) enjoy the most. Personally, here are my amateur impressions:
AKG K701: Since the soundstage of these phones is a little furthur back than the Grado's, I find them better(?) for more dynamic jazz, stuff that is less melody-oriented, like free, fusion, funk, like Ornette Coleman, Eric Dolphy, the Impulse and Atlantic years of John Coltrane, Billy Cobham, Tony Williams, electric Miles, etc..
Grado SR225: with a more upfront soundstage I find I am going to these phones for the older recordings, like anything before 1960; Clifford Brown & Max Roach, early Art Blakey, J.J. Johnson, Coleman Hawkins, Ike Quebec, Monk's Riverside years, Bird, Dizzy, etc..The decade of the 60's is split 50/50 between the two phones, since bop couldn't figure out which way to go I give them equal distribution. The same goes for female vocalists, Nina and Astrud go to K701's, Lady Day and Ella to the Grado's.
BUT if the older recordings are from non-profesional sources or sources that are really degraded I then swith back to the K701's. With the soundstage being less upfront the more harsh recordings become a little softer allowing the listener to "hear through" the sonic imperfections.
As far as "burning in", I'm not touching that one with a ten foot IC.

Give me cans, lot's of cans and and a dedicated source
then plug me in!

Apr 11, 2007 at 3:06 AM Post #140 of 370
I should be getting my 701 tomorrow from TTVJ. Very excited! Got my old IRiver player loaded up with pink noise mp3s on a continuous loop and already have a drawer lined with a nice soft towel for the long and painful burn-in process. I'll give them a listen out of the box and then after each 24 hour period of burn-in.

This burn-in really sucks because other than my Senn CX300 and Vmoda BassFreqs, I have no other headphone to listen to. I returned my Grado 325i that gave me headaches because of the brightness.
eek.gif
In the meantime, I may need to pick up some used SR225s...absolutely love those phones!
icon10.gif

Apr 11, 2007 at 5:30 AM Post #141 of 370
Quote:

Originally Posted by kelvinz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I question burn in past the first ~20 or so hours

Question away. Questioning is good. If you do it right you can probably grow new brain cells.

While you're questioning, educate your ears (ear/brain interface) and listen attentively.

Questioning is definitely better than the opposite.

Oh … remember to enjoy the music.

Apr 11, 2007 at 2:21 PM Post #144 of 370
does anyone have any methods to protect that one spot that the 701's seem to continuously sit on and hurt on there heads?

I like my sound...I hate the pain, its giving me headaches, if I don't find a remedy I'll have to sell.

Apr 11, 2007 at 3:02 PM Post #145 of 370
Quote:

Originally Posted by skeeder /img/forum/go_quote.gif
does anyone have any methods to protect that one spot that the 701's seem to continuously sit on and hurt on there heads?

I like my sound...I hate the pain, its giving me headaches, if I don't find a remedy I'll have to sell.

I think I remember a "mouse pad mod" where you cut pads a little smaller than the bumps on the underside of the headband and glue them on. I just make a little adjustment and I'm good to go for another half hour or so.

Apr 11, 2007 at 4:37 PM Post #146 of 370
Quote:

Originally Posted by Agent Kang /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I got a brand new K701 a few days ago. Immediately went over to my friends house to compare it with his "burned in" k701s. I found absolutely no difference in sound between his 2yr old K701s and mie k701s that had maybe 7 hours of use in them. After about a CD worth of critical listening my friend also agreed that there was no difference. I find this "burn-in" theory to be a mere conjecture.

DK

I'm in agreement with you here. Interesting you did an A/B comparison with a burned in pair against your new pair and felt they sounded the same.

Apr 11, 2007 at 4:41 PM Post #147 of 370
Quote:

Originally Posted by skeeder /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Maybe I have a head made of granite! I have yet to find this sore spot....
frown.gif
....pity!

Apr 11, 2007 at 5:16 PM Post #149 of 370
For those who question burn-in, all I can say is that, in my experience with the K701, 300+ hours of burn-in turned them from "unlistenable" to "favorite". And it was not just due to becoming accustomed to them. During the burn-in period I listened to them <10 hours total, while listening extensively to Ety ER-4 and Grado SR-325 in the meantime. After the burn-in I was seriously surprised (and pleased) at how much they had changed.

The Ety's still go out of town with me and the Shure's still go on stage, but the K701 is what I reach for here at home.

BTW the way burn-in was 95% "System Burn-in" track from XLO/Reference Recordings Test Disc. 5% other sources.

Apr 11, 2007 at 6:29 PM Post #150 of 370
got a k701 just the other day. But its driving me crazy just staring at it with the two nice cd players yet no amp to play it with!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back