AKG K 701 owner's thread
Feb 22, 2007 at 6:46 AM Post #106 of 370
I have a pair of K701s in the mail right now and I am looking for an amp for it. I listen mainly to pop and classic rock, but have been known to listen to evanescence as well. I'm currently thinking about the Micro Amp from Headroom, but am very open to suggestions. These are going to be my first audiophile class cans. Needless to say, the amp is going to be soon followed by a DAC and a better source than my laptop.
I can't wait till they arrive.

Feb 22, 2007 at 8:08 AM Post #107 of 370
Quote:

Originally Posted by Forvak /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have a pair of K701s in the mail right now and I am looking for an amp for it. I listen mainly to pop and classic rock, but have been known to listen to evanescence as well. I'm currently thinking about the Micro Amp from Headroom, but am very open to suggestions. These are going to be my first audiophile class cans. Needless to say, the amp is going to be soon followed by a DAC and a better source than my laptop.
I can't wait till they arrive.

Get a Zhaolu 2.5A and a Zapfilter for it. The Zapfilter is both the analog output stage and a headphone amplifier in balanced mode. It has more output than many dedicated headphone amplifiers, and can drive the K701 to extreme levels and can probably melt it at full blast. In contrast, even a lot of portable amps and some desktop tube amps can't drive the K701s that loud. With the Zapfilter, the Zhaolu beats out my friends' Benchmark DAC1, Apogee MiniDAC, and Lavry DA10 in detail, soundstage, and transparency.

The MicroDAC is almost exactly the same as a stock Zhaolu 2.5C, but the 2.5A sounds better.

Mar 6, 2007 at 6:24 AM Post #108 of 370
I think the AKG 701s are the least colored headphones that I have heard.

Mar 6, 2007 at 8:00 AM Post #109 of 370
Quote:

Originally Posted by audiomagnate /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think the AKG 701s are the least colored headphones that I have heard.

Same here. =)

btw do you still sell Jecklin Floats?

Mar 6, 2007 at 9:39 AM Post #110 of 370
I think the neutrality of the K701s is clearest when you've been listening to them for a while and then switch to another pair of headphones.

Mar 6, 2007 at 10:53 AM Post #111 of 370
Quote:

Originally Posted by db597 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think the neutrality of the K701s is clearest when you've been listening to them for a while and then switch to another pair of headphones.

That is true. I use to think my ES7's were relatively clear until I had my K701s for 2 months, now they sound a little recessed in the mids and highs. Same with the PX100s though to a lesser extent.

Mar 6, 2007 at 1:28 PM Post #113 of 370
Quote:

Originally Posted by ken36 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Someone said the K701 is everything he wanted in the HD650. Of course he was talking about stock cables.

And the cables cost as much as, or even more than, the price of the HD650 in the first place.
frown.gif

Mar 6, 2007 at 5:43 PM Post #115 of 370
Quote:

Originally Posted by alpha80 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not sure how you meant it.....
But I want the next AKG flagship to have more hi-treble, and more upper mids.
Bass is perfect to check what's really there, but for pleasure I still like a flabby bass monster.

Also, the build could be more "High end"...
That stock headstrap is awful,
and the swivel-play on the cups should be more liquid.

Other than that, they're great phones.
Absolutely.*701 smiley*
biggrin.gif

So if I'm a bit of bass head (might be a bit of an understatement) would you say I probably would find these headphones a bit lacking in bass?

Mar 6, 2007 at 5:48 PM Post #116 of 370
Quote:

Originally Posted by Anthrox /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So if I'm a bit of bass head (might be a bit of an understatement) would you say I probably would find these headphones a bit lacking in bass?

The K701 is a neutral reference headphone. What would a bass head want with a pair of these?
wink.gif

DT770/80 is still the bass head's preferred choice. And of course there's nothing stopping you from having both
very_evil_smiley.gif

Mar 6, 2007 at 7:33 PM Post #118 of 370
Quote:

Originally Posted by DJShadow /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Would you guys say that out of all the headphones you've listened to, the K701 is the most neutral?

Yes. However, other headphones can be tweaked to also become more neutral. As far as stock headphones the K701 is definately the most neutral I've heard.

Mar 7, 2007 at 3:57 PM Post #119 of 370
Quote:

Originally Posted by cotdt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Same here. =)

btw do you still sell Jecklin Floats?

No, I used to get them and Transcriptors turntables/tonearms from the importer (Bob Welch, I think) back in the late 70's/early 80s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back