AKG K 701 owner's thread
Mar 7, 2007 at 9:18 PM Post #121 of 370
Quote:

Originally Posted by Artguy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Burn baby burn.... when I got my 701's I listened to them and then sent them on a burn cycle every night and listened to them during the day. They really went through a change during the 300 hours of burn-in. Now, running them off the Heed Can-amp, I have found that the laid back sound has matured into a very engaging, full spectrum, clean sound presentation that doesn't favor one sound frequency over the other. I have been listening to the cans at lower volume as they mature, and I could'nt be more pleased with the results. I am listening to wide range of jazz, vocals, New Age, Pop and occasionally some rock (U2 etc.) Check out the thread on pink noise as burn-in sound.... really did the trick for me, mixed with some nice bass heavy U2 to get the lower frequencies loosened up...

Granted, the 701's have a sound all their own, but that sound happens to be exactly what I want in headphones.... Sure they look funky, but they also grow on you... and they are very comfortable for my head shape and size.

happy listening... and enjoy the 701's.

I got a brand new K701 a few days ago. Immediately went over to my friends house to compare it with his "burned in" k701s. I found absolutely no difference in sound between his 2yr old K701s and mie k701s that had maybe 7 hours of use in them. After about a CD worth of critical listening my friend also agreed that there was no difference. I find this "burn-in" theory to be a mere conjecture.

DK

Mar 7, 2007 at 9:34 PM Post #122 of 370
Quote:

Originally Posted by Agent Kang /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I got a brand new K701 a few days ago. Immediately went over to my friends house to compare it with his "burned in" k701s. I found absolutely no difference in sound between his 2yr old K701s and mie k701s that had maybe 7 hours of use in them. After about a CD worth of critical listening my friend also agreed that there was no difference. I find this "burn-in" theory to be a mere conjecture.

DK

I agree with you, but the "burn-in" believers are in the majority around here. It would be interesting so see Headroom graphs for the same headphone before and after "burn-in". I find posts like the one you quoted down right hilarious. BTW, I liked mine right out of the box as well, but I like your little informal experiment.

Mar 14, 2007 at 10:10 AM Post #124 of 370
A quick question, are the K701 a great alternative for low-volume listening or do they require more volume to do justice?

Thanks.

Mar 14, 2007 at 2:58 PM Post #125 of 370
Quote:

Originally Posted by audiomagnate /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I agree with you, but the "burn-in" believers are in the majority around here. It would be interesting so see Headroom graphs for the same headphone before and after "burn-in". I find posts like the one you quoted down right hilarious. BTW, I liked mine right out of the box as well, but I like your little informal experiment.

The burn in may well be psychological - it takes time to learn what to listen out for. On the other hand, I don't think Headroom graphs will ever enable you to tell the difference - they are just a frequency response chart. The loudness may not change, but other things might (e.g. the speed at which it reacts to changes in input frequency, the amount of distortion etc).

Mar 14, 2007 at 3:00 PM Post #126 of 370
Quote:

Originally Posted by nalth /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A quick question, are the K701 a great alternative for low-volume listening or do they require more volume to do justice?
Thanks.

I didn't find listening at low volumes to be very good on the K701. For one, they are open headphones, so you can hear things like your computer fan etc. So I tend to turn it up to around medium volume.

Mar 14, 2007 at 4:01 PM Post #127 of 370
I think the K701 does pretty well at low volume in that I do not find it to lose resolution or detail. I have found that it does however bloom more with higher volumes increasing the fullness of the sound in the lower end.

Mar 14, 2007 at 5:05 PM Post #128 of 370
Nice to hear.

And now for the final question:
Do I buy a "Cute Beyond" or a LD2++ to go with my K701 and Fubar II?
smily_headphones1.gif

(or something completely different in the same sub-200 price range)

Mar 14, 2007 at 5:40 PM Post #130 of 370
I guess it's safe to say that I am now a AKG convert! I have seen the light! The Sennheiser veil has been lifted from my EYES! Can I get an AAAMEN!!!
evil_smiley.gif

From an initial listening I can honestly say that I'm happy.. let the burn in begin!

Wow! I actually have something to list in my signature!
biggrin.gif

Mar 14, 2007 at 5:42 PM Post #131 of 370
Quote:

Originally Posted by kool bubba ice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I question burn in too.. But believe it is still possible..

I was very skeptical, but after 48 hours of loud pink noise, they did indeed have a different presentation. Day & night difference? More like dawn vs mid-morning. But enough to make 'em enjoyable. If it was just in my head (d'oh!), I'll have to find a more fruitful way of channelling my powers of self-delusion.

Mar 14, 2007 at 8:42 PM Post #135 of 370
I just put my K701 in the mailbox a couple weeks ago and hopefully the new owner likes it more than I did, suffice to say, it failed to grow on me after months of ownership and I never looked forward to listening with it. Rather, it was more of a chore akin to washing dishes or mowing the lawn, I had the headphone in my home and having it gather dust grated on me so I was "obliged" to put it on every now and then.

My briefly summarized thoughts, it combines the worst of the Grado HP-1000 and Senn 600 and mixes in a dollop of bad solidstate giving an overly dry, sterile, veiled, and lifeless sound. Outer details are fine, soundstage is big, the frequency reponse is flat & neutral, and that's about all the good I can say about it. Low level details, dynamics, tone, body, weight, smoothness & continuousness, all are lacking to an unacceptable degree, especially given that it is the flagship headphone. Music is reduced to a boring unemotional sameness, which to me is completely unacceptable. Give me the old AKG sound with the K501 & K1000, for all their shortcomings they can still make music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back