AKG K 551 vs K 550
Feb 27, 2014 at 10:38 AM Post #16 of 36
  For instance, when I plug the phones to my Android phone, they don't even get recognized (unless I find that critical and unstable sweet spot) and the sound keeps coming out from the phone's speaker. Similar problems happen with my headphone amplifier (a chinese made hybrid one) and with my DAC as well: pairing is tricky, and most of the times no sound (or a badly "compromised" one, with frequencies missing) is all you can get.

Wow, this is actually hugely important, thank you for the info.

Apr 2, 2014 at 6:36 PM Post #17 of 36
The K551's plug does works fine with the Android devices, and stereo amps I have tried it with.  It should, any portable headphone that has iPod/iPhone controls will have the same 4 conductor plug. 

What makes the K551 more problematical is the thick plastic that surrounds the plug.....much too big to fit into recessed plugs or through most of the cases I have tried.  You have to remove the case to make it work.

Several companies make iPhone adapter's with thin 3 conductor plugs to solve the problem. The Griffin Technology 9691-IPADPTRB is one example....solves both the thick plug and 4 conductor problem if that is an issue.

The AKG 551's are well worth the trouble, especially since they are pretty cheap now. 

Dec 15, 2014 at 7:52 AM Post #19 of 36
  akg 550/551 are quite flat. they have a great sound stage for competitive FPS, but I imagine for the explosions of movies/games & the bass of edm, you can find a more suitable pair of headphones. if you love your bass, i would suggestion the m100 - v-shaped bass-heavy sound signature great for EDM. the momentum is another good option: very technical sound signature w/ lots of clarity & a slight bass boost.

the new akg k545 is said to have more bass, so that is a great option at $200. I have never heard em tho, so I can't comment about it's sound.

Well... i dont think V-Moda M100 would be good for gaming... I owned these M100 for some weeks, but sold them. They were to bass heavy and moody sounded cans, without any clarity. Tho' at very high volumes the sound is quite powerful, but personally i dont really want to use a headphone always at 80% volume.
By the way Sennheiser HDJ 8, Momentum and AKG's K267 Tiesto headphones do the same thing. These cans are very week at low or 50% volume.

For movie watching and gaming the most important thing is the sound stage and clear voices. AKG 550 does these things very well. Its comfy and very detailed in sound. I recommend this headphone and Sennheiser Amperior as well.

Dec 15, 2014 at 9:54 AM Post #20 of 36

Well... i dont think V-Moda M100 would be good for gaming... I owned these M100 for some weeks, but sold them. They were to bass heavy and moody sounded cans, without any clarity. Tho' at very high volumes the sound is quite powerful, but personally i dont really want to use a headphone always at 80% volume.
By the way Sennheiser HDJ 8, Momentum and AKG's K267 Tiesto headphones do the same thing. These cans are very week at low or 50% volume.

For movie watching and gaming the most important thing is the sound stage and clear voices. AKG 550 does these things very well. Its comfy and very detailed in sound. I recommend this headphone and Sennheiser Amperior as well.

ya, i agree. i had the vmoda m100s for gaming & the bass was way too much for me. however, some people have different preferences & if you like a bass boost for your explosions & all, it can be niice.

i think the akg k550 is a great closed headphone with amazing sound stage which makes it good for fps. you can consider open headphones that generally have better sound stage than closed. the k550 has the best sound stage of closed headphones I've tried. (only closed that may have better sound stage would be the mad dog alpha dog prime tho I haven't tried em)

Jan 13, 2015 at 2:50 PM Post #24 of 36
Ended up going for the K545. Got them for £85. The AKG K551 have been on super offers on Amazon, as low as £49.99

For that price just get the K551. I really wanted a detachable cable, hence the K545.

I think you will be happy with any

Jan 13, 2015 at 9:36 PM Post #27 of 36
I'm gonna buy from Amazon France, so the price is gonna be 120 eur. Also there isn't enough review of the K551, so I'm still quite skeptical. 

the k551 is basically the k550 w a detachable cable, so k550 reviews wld give u a good idea of its general sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back