AKG K 319 impressions
Mar 3, 2009 at 2:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

MartinB

100+ Head-Fier
My K 319 arrived today. I can't say much about the sound yet, but the packaging looks nice with a nice case for the earbuds. There's a volume control on the cable which is nice. The K 319 comes with a short 0.5m cable and a 0.5m extension. For home use I think I'll want something slightly longer. So a good extension cable might be a good upgrade.
Regarding the comfort they seem very nice! I have not done any long listening yet, but they fit my ears way better and more naturally than my E888LP. Build quality also seem very sturdy and more pro quality like..
I just plugged them in to my Digidesign M box 2 micro and they sounded very bright and thin but I put the foamies on and it balanced them nicely so they are probably made to be used with foams.
That's all I can say for now. Will report more later!

Mar 4, 2009 at 12:32 AM Post #3 of 13
I have just been listening for about an hour or two today and they might need more burn-in like most headphones do. I'm just posting some short impressions. I really prefer to evaluate gear over time and not get too analytical about it. If I still enjoy something or don't find any major flaws after a month or two it's very likely it's a good product.

Well, know to the K 319. First impression is that it's in another league compared to the E888LP. Some E888LP fans will probably disagree, but that's how I feel even before proper burn-in. It sounds way more full bodied than the E888LP. The bass is there and seems pretty neutral. Nicely balanced and not as thin as the E888LP. My K271's are also kind of bass light too and the K 319 might have better balance here..
For home use I feel the K 319 is a good earbud because of it's 32 ohm impedance, volume control and short 0.5m cable which you just can attach a high quality headphone extension cable to. I owned the Etymotic a couple of years ago so it's hard to compare it to the K 319, but roughly I would say that the Ety is slightly more detailed and accurate, but the K 319 has more "fun factor". But by that I don't want to say that the K 319's is not neutral or accurate - because so far it's the most accurate earbud I've heard.

Mar 4, 2009 at 5:35 PM Post #4 of 13
Thanks for your impressions MartinB. I'm also looking forward to some comparisons. Also, if you could take some pictures, that would be great.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 5, 2009 at 12:48 AM Post #5 of 13
kjk1281,
I feel it's hard to compare it to the E888LP as I think the K 319 seems that much better. Comparing to a pair of full size headphones is also hard. Two different things really, no mather what your preference is. But I have to say that it reminds me a bit of the K271.
What I'm impressed by is that it sounds as realistic as it does. Good soundstage for an earbud and as I said earlier it sounds full bodied. I have listened to a lot of acoustic guitar and I think the strings sounds pretty good with nice extension. Voices sounds pretty good also with no harshness what so ever.
So far I would say..

BASS: Fairly neutral and balanced. Not boomy, but it's there. If you love tons of bass this might not be your earbud. But as I said earlier it's extended and there. More quality then quantity.
MIDRANGE: Also pretty neutral. A bit dark and warm. Not much to say here really.
TREBLE: Pretty detailed and dark and warm. No harshness at all.

I have only listened with foams on and they have only been playing for about 5-10 hours so far, so they might open up and improve a bit more.

Mar 5, 2009 at 11:10 PM Post #6 of 13
I appreciate the detailed impressions MartinB. I agree that one can't really compare earbuds to full-size headphones, or even canalphones or IEMs for that matter.

With that said, it seems like these AKGs seem to improve greatly upon their predecessors. Of course, I believe they should, since the K319 is supposed to be around/over $50.
wink.gif

I also find it interesting that the sound you describe is somewhat similar to what I'm hearing with the Sennheiser MX760: nice soundstage, tight, deep bass, slightly warm, airy (sometimes too airy) mids, and very detailed and ample treble. I wouldn't be suprised if these were based on the same driver (with the AKGs being better sounding), since both AKG and Sennheiser have a history of working with Foster, the Japanese OEM.

I must say, with these AKGs, the new Sennheisers, the Yuins and CrossRoads HR series, combined with old mainstays like the Sony E888 and Audio-Technica CM700(/Ti), there are more options than ever for great earbuds. We live in some great times in the world of audio.
ksc75smile.gif

Mar 5, 2009 at 11:56 PM Post #7 of 13
So far they're great! I'm getting the feeling that these has been made to the standard to be good enough even for monitoring and professional use.
Might be the same driver in the Senns, but the K 319 is quite a lot more expensive in Sweden at least. I agree it's good to see all these great earbuds from different manufacturers and I actually think we'll see more. Manufacturers seems to have discovered that all people doesn't like in-ears, but are willing to pay for high quality.

Mar 6, 2009 at 12:18 AM Post #8 of 13
I'm glad you're liking them! Hopefully these will make it across the pond, but AKG seems to forget that there are Americans like me who want their products but can't afford the K701/702
biggrin.gif

I agree with what you say about earbuds. I was almost worried that they would go the way of the dinosaur with the rising popularity of in-ears. Fortunately, that is no longer the case.

Keep enjoying the music!

Mar 26, 2009 at 6:03 AM Post #9 of 13
Where did you buy the k319??

I have been looking for a pair of those for a while and I couldn't fine them.

It would be really nice of you to share the place.
Thank you

Jun 3, 2009 at 5:56 PM Post #10 of 13
I would like to share my point of view on these ones.

Firstly I must say that I am not profi when it comes to audio. I was looking for something to replace mine existing earbuds which came with nokia 5310 mobile but I think I have stepped into another universe with these earbuds even my porta pro should go and hide in the corner ashamed really the sound is in another class. Well.. now something about sound: I must say that I am very happy with akg k 319
smily_headphones1.gif
I am using em with the foams on and its a big difference in sound especially there are more basses than without them. Ill post something about sound later since I have got them only 2 hours ago and cant stop listening
ksc75smile.gif

Oct 19, 2009 at 2:40 PM Post #12 of 13
So a small update..
I'd say that these are unlistenable without foams. Way too thin and bright sounding. However a tip is to replace the stock foams with thinner ones. Really improves the treble and detail which I feel is a little bit closed in with the stock ones. I also get a better fit in my ears.
I feel that these sound better at slightly higher volume. They are not for low level listening. I had a similiar experience with the K 271. I've actually used my pair mostly for home use and set the volume control on the cord very low. Acts a resistor I guess.

Sep 24, 2010 at 10:56 AM Post #13 of 13
Good review. I currently use these buds and am satisfied: good soundstage, lacks a bit of punch of bass but the detail you can glean (mid and treble) is very good (I think it's better than my Sennheiser PX100).
All in all a great pair of buds and the price is not bad.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back