AKG 712 pro or Fidelio X2?
Nov 27, 2017 at 6:03 PM Post #48 of 60
I'm using the Shiit stack with akg 712s. Is there a mic that will plug into the controller? And how would I get the chat to go through headphones? Thanks
If you're able to return the Schiit Stack then I suggest you do so and get a Mayflower ARC. It has both headphone and mic ports on the unit itself and it is based on the legendary O2+ODAC. You simply connect the ARC to the PS4 with USB and then plug the K712 and mic into the ARC and it's all done, it's been made incredibly easy and clean with the ARC. And for a mic you can get the Modmic and attach that to the K712.

If you want to keep the Schiit Stack then you can get a Modmic and attach that to the K712 and plug it into the controller. If you don't want a cable hanging off the controller all the time then you could simply get a USB mic adapter which plugs into the USB port on the PS4 and plug the Modmic into that.

Nov 27, 2017 at 6:17 PM Post #49 of 60
If you're able to return the Schiit Stack then I suggest you do so and get a Mayflower ARC. It has both headphone and mic ports on the unit itself and it is based on the legendary O2+ODAC. You simply connect the ARC to the PS4 with USB and then plug the K712 and mic into the ARC and it's all done, it's been made incredibly easy and clean with the ARC. And for a mic you can get the Modmic and attach that to the K712.

If you want to keep the Schiit Stack then you can get a Modmic and attach that to the K712 and plug it into the controller. If you don't want a cable hanging off the controller all the time then you could simply get a USB mic adapter which plugs into the USB port on the PS4 and plug the Modmic into that.

Thanks.

I'm not returning the Shiit Stack, got it at a great price and love the combo. Also, my PS4 is far away from where I sit so the mic cable to controller would be the best solution for me.

Nov 27, 2017 at 6:27 PM Post #52 of 60
About the same distance so no.
Well if that's the case then I still recommend getting that adapter since the Modmic can be up to 3m long which is the same length as the K712 cable. The reason I say this is because using a USB mic adapter will give you better quality for the mic than plugging it into the controller and it's also cleaner cabling wise.

But if you want to plug it into the controller then that's fine, the controller audio quality is still pretty great.

Also if you have no spare USB ports on the PS4 then that's a reason to plug it into the controller too.

Last edited:
Nov 27, 2017 at 6:34 PM Post #53 of 60
Well if that's the case then I still recommend getting that adapter since the Modmic can be up to 3m long which is the same length as the K712 cable. The reason I say this is because using a USB mic adapter will give you better quality for the mic than plugging it into the controller and it's also cleaner cabling wise.

But if you want to plug it into the controller then that's fine, the controller audio quality is still pretty great.

Also if you have no spare USB ports on the PS4 then that's a reason to plug it into the controller too.

Thanks again for the input.

Mic sound quality is not important to me as I'll only be using it occasionally to chat with friends. I just want the option to chat online when playing fps so I can listen to other team members.

Nov 27, 2017 at 6:41 PM Post #54 of 60
Thanks again for the input.

Mic sound quality is not important to me as I'll only be using it occasionally to chat with friends. I just want the option to chat online when playing fps so I can listen to other team members.
If you're going to use it occasionally then you don't even need to spend so much on a Modmic, you can save a lot of money and get a clip on mic like the Sony ECM-CS3, simply plug it into the controller and clip the mic to your clothes when you need it and then take it off when you don't need it.

This way you won't have to stick a mic to the K712 and you won't have 2 really long cables hanging off the K712 with one long ass one going to the controller.

https://www.amazon.com/Sony-ECMCS3-...8&qid=1511825948&sr=8-1&keywords=sony+ecm-cs3

Nov 27, 2017 at 7:00 PM Post #55 of 60
Lol I totally forgot to mention, you know that lame ass mono headset that Sony includes with the PS4? you can just use that as a mic for now since it's a mono headphone with a mic attached.

Plug it into the controller but don't put the earbud in your ear, just wrap it around your neck or think of something and use the K712 as you normally would. Ghetto solution I know but it will work well for now until you upgrade.

Nov 27, 2017 at 7:14 PM Post #56 of 60
Lol I totally forgot to mention, you know that lame ass mono headset that Sony includes with the PS4? you can just use that as a mic for now since it's a mono headphone with a mic attached.

Plug it into the controller but don't put the earbud in your ear, just wrap it around your neck or think of something and use the K712 as you normally would. Ghetto solution I know but it will work well for now until you upgrade.

I might still have that POS laying around somewhere haha. I think I'll spend the $10 on the Sony clip on

Nov 28, 2017 at 11:04 PM Post #59 of 60
Quick question. How do you run your Magni 3 with the K712s? Do you prefer low or high gain?
I don't have a Magni 3 or anything from Schiit, I have an O2+ODAC.

As for low/high gain, always keep it on low gain unless you HAVE to put it on high gain. Magni 3 will handle K712 on low gain perfectly fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back