AKG 712 pro or Fidelio X2?
Nov 13, 2017 at 11:59 AM Post #16 of 60
Nov 13, 2017 at 12:42 PM Post #17 of 60
The K712 as mentioned prior needs a good amp,otherwise youre wasting your cash.

I use a Fidelio X1(essentially the same as X2) for gaming thru my PS4 and XBone via a Astro MixAmp Pro 2013,which does the whole 7.1 thing,which I think is great for gaming.
I would never consider it* for music playback however.

*meaning the Astro.X1/X2 is fine if youre into v-shaped HPs.

Last edited:
Nov 13, 2017 at 12:49 PM Post #18 of 60
The K712 as mentioned prior needs a good amp,otherwise youre wasting your cash.

I use a Fidelio X1(essentially the same as X2) for gaming thru my PS4 and XBone via a Astro MixAmp Pro 2013,which does the whole 7.1 thing,which I think is great for gaming.
I would never consider it for music playback however.
I'm mainly looking for a gaming setup, hoping I didn't make a mistake now choosing the K712 over the X2. I really do like the surround sound I get out of my HD 598 and the DSS.

Nov 13, 2017 at 12:54 PM Post #19 of 60
Give the combo a try and see for yourself,but AKGs in general seem to need more amp than other headphones with similar stats.Hopefully you can return the K712s if need be.

The X2 can be driven by a potato.

Nov 13, 2017 at 1:12 PM Post #20 of 60
Give the combo a try and see for yourself,but AKGs in general seem to need more amp than other headphones with similar stats.Hopefully you can return the K712s if need be.

The X2 can be driven by a potato.
For $200 I'm keeping these headphones regardless. Im just debating what's the best option, buying the x2 or amp/dac combo. Thanks for all the advice

Nov 13, 2017 at 1:22 PM Post #21 of 60
Oh,well if thats the case grab an amp/DAC and dont look back....When driven correctly the K712 is a technically better headphone.The X2 will provide much bigger explosions due to its bass and the staging is about the same or a bit wider too,but the imaging is tighter on the K712.

TL;DR

X2=just for gaming
K712+amp/DAC=slighly less WOW factor in gaming.Superior for music

Nov 13, 2017 at 1:29 PM Post #22 of 60
Oh,well if thats the case grab an amp/DAC and dont look back....When driven correctly the K712 is a technically better headphone.The X2 will provide much bigger explosions due to its bass and the staging is about the same or a bit wider too,but the imaging is tighter on the K712.

TL;DR

X2=just for gaming
K712+amp/DAC=slighly less WOW factor in gaming.Superior for music
Seeing I have the DT 770pro80, would it be worth getting the x2 for that matter?

Nov 13, 2017 at 1:37 PM Post #23 of 60
Youre asking the wrong guy.I absolutely hated the DT770...the highs were like fingernails on a chalkboard to my ears.Some folks complain about the highs of the X2,but to me they sound downright veiled vs. the DT770.

Bass=about the same
Mids=slight advantage to X2
Highs=DT770 worst highs.Ever.
soundstage=X2,by a mile
comfort=about a tie...both are comfy.

If you like the sound of the DT770,why not grab a DT990?

Nov 13, 2017 at 2:00 PM Post #24 of 60
Youre asking the wrong guy.I absolutely hated the DT770...the highs were like fingernails on a chalkboard to my ears.Some folks complain about the highs of the X2,but to me they sound downright veiled vs. the DT770.

Bass=about the same
Mids=slight advantage to X2
Highs=DT770 worst highs.Ever.
soundstage=X2,by a mile
comfort=about a tie...both are comfy.

If you like the sound of the DT770,why not grab a DT990?
Funny you mention the dt990. I actually just got a pair of DT 990 pro 250 and HD 598 for $100 together. I do find the 770 to be a little on the bright side but like the bass

Nov 13, 2017 at 2:07 PM Post #25 of 60
Funny you mention the dt990. I actually just got a pair of DT 990 pro 250 and HD 598 for $100 together. I do find the 770 to be a little on the bright side but like the bass
Where did you find that crazy deal? :p

Nov 13, 2017 at 2:16 PM Post #26 of 60
For $200 I'm keeping these headphones regardless. Im just debating what's the best option, buying the x2 or amp/dac combo. Thanks for all the advice
If it's between a headphone and a dac/amp then you need to ask yourself what use will a only a dac/amp bring.

You don't need a dac/amp since you have easy to drive headphones.

If you decide to get something like a K712 then you absolutely NEED a dac/amp otherwise it's a waste of money on an awesome headphone.

Without an amp the X2 will be better, with an amp the K712 smokes the X2, no contest. X2 can't touch an amped K712.

So basically:-

Want a dac/amp? You need a headphone to make use of it (K712).

Don't want to buy a dac/amp? Just get the X2.

Nov 13, 2017 at 2:28 PM Post #28 of 60
If it's between a headphone and a dac/amp then you need to ask yourself what use will a only a dac/amp bring.

If you decide to get something like a K712 then you absolutely NEED a dac/amp otherwise it's a waste of money on an awesome headphone.

Without an amp the X2 will be better, with an amp the K712 smokes the X2, no contest. X2 can't touch an amped K712.

Well seeing I already purchased the K712 that makes my decision easy. Looks like I'm shopping for a dac/amp combo. Thanks!

Nov 13, 2017 at 3:57 PM Post #29 of 60

So I know the Modi 2 Uber is a must buy. As far as the amp is there much difference between Magni 2 or 3? Like I said, I plan on only using it for gaming and music only with the K712. If there is a lack of quality in sound then I'll pay for the Magni 3. Thanks again

Nov 13, 2017 at 4:09 PM Post #30 of 60
So I know the Modi 2 Uber is a must buy. As far as the amp is there much difference between Magni 2 or 3? Like I said, I plan on only using it for gaming and music only with the K712. If there is a lack of quality in sound then I'll pay for the Magni 3. Thanks again
They're both the same, the Magni 3 is simply more powerful. It's a pretty powerful amp for only $99, I say for the Magni 3. I don't think the Magni 2 is even on Schiit's site anymore.

BTW I am boarding a flight now so I can't reply until I land in my destination.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back