AKG 712 pro or Fidelio X2?
Nov 13, 2017 at 3:24 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 60

HoneysPoohBear

100+ Head-Fier
I've been searching and reviewing for weeks and can't decide, would like your guys input.

I have DT 770 pro 80, HD 598, ATH AD700, DT 990 pro 250.

I'm looking for a headphone mainly for fun, immersive gaming and maybe movies.

Considering the inventory of headphones I currently have, which would be the best to add to the family?

AKG 712 pro or Fidelio X2HR?

Thanks

Nov 13, 2017 at 6:10 AM Post #3 of 60
I've had both and IMO is a no brainier towards the 712, comfort-wise is just way better (and much lighter - also more comfortable than HD700s, the other pair often praised for that).
The X2 are way easier to drive though - but honestly in the long run, I think the 712s will always be a keeper.

And by the way I'm so anal about comfort I ended up selling both and I'm trying to stay serious only about Iems (just can't stand the weight and cumbersomeness of a full sized). But that's just me.

Last edited:
Nov 13, 2017 at 7:51 AM Post #4 of 60
I've had both and IMO is a no brainier towards the 712, comfort-wise is just way better (and much lighter - also more comfortable than HD700s, the other pair often praised for that).
The X2 are way easier to drive though - but honestly in the long run, I think the 712s will always be a keeper.

And by the way I'm so anal about comfort I ended up selling both and I'm trying to stay serious only about Iems (just can't stand the weight and cumbersomeness of a full sized). But that's just me.

Thanks a bunch. I pulled the trigger last night at 4am on a pair. I went with the 712. Found a pair brand new for $199, I could not pass up the deal. I may spring for the x2 later on but for the price they are at now wasn't worth it for me.

Nov 13, 2017 at 8:06 AM Post #5 of 60
I've heard the X2 is more fun but the 712 is overall better

Nov 13, 2017 at 8:13 AM Post #6 of 60
Thanks a bunch. I pulled the trigger last night at 4am on a pair. I went with the 712. Found a pair brand new for $199, I could not pass up the deal. I may spring for the x2 later on but for the price they are at now wasn't worth it for me.
Do make sure that you plan on using the K712 with an amp, they really need it.

Nov 13, 2017 at 9:56 AM Post #8 of 60
I planned on using them with my Earforce DSS. Do you think that will be enough?
Is it that 12 dollar 7.1 thing? Definitely not a good pairing with the 712. They need a real amp otherwise the sound you'll get from the AKG won't be worth near what you paid for it. The thing with good headphones is that they need a strong signal chain to be worth the price. That means good quality music files and good amp/dac. Grab a Fulla 2 from Schiit

Nov 13, 2017 at 10:05 AM Post #9 of 60
Is it that 12 dollar 7.1 thing? Definitely not a good pairing with the 712. They need a real amp otherwise the sound you'll get from the AKG won't be worth near what you paid for it. The thing with good headphones is that they need a strong signal chain to be worth the price. That means good quality music files and good amp/dac. Grab a Fulla 2 from Schiit
+1 on all that.

Don't use a signal processing device like that with high end headphones, you are just ruining the sound quality. Grab a Fulla 2 because it's a real DAC and Amp from a reputable audio company. High end headphones like to stay in Stereo paired with a high quality DAC/Amp that does not change the sound in any way, you want the pure, natural sound of the K712 and the DSS will mess with it.

And don't worry if you lose the Virtual Surround Sound (VSS) by not using the DSS, with the K712 you don't need it. Take it from an owner with plenty of experience with them.

Nov 13, 2017 at 10:10 AM Post #10 of 60
Thank you

Nov 13, 2017 at 10:12 AM Post #11 of 60
+1 on all that.

Don't use a signal processing device like that with high end headphones, you are just ruining the sound quality. Grab a Fulla 2 because it's a real DAC and Amp from a reputable audio company. High end headphones like to stay in Stereo paired with a high quality DAC/Amp that does not change the sound in any way, you want the pure, natural sound of the K712 and the DSS will mess with it.

And don't worry if you lose the Virtual Surround Sound (VSS) by not using the DSS, with the K712 you don't need it. Take it from an owner with plenty of experience with them.
I'll take you guys word on it. Thanks

Nov 13, 2017 at 10:29 AM Post #13 of 60
Checking out the Fulla 2.

How would I hook this up to a Ps4 pro? I do not see an optical out input on the Schiit.
If you want to keep it cheap then get a FiiO DO3K and Schiit Fulla 2.

PS4 Pro outputs to DO3K via optical and DO3K outputs to Fulla 2 which outputs to K712.

If you can afford more, up to $200 then get a Modi 2 Uber and a Magni 3. PS4 Pro outputs to Modi 2 Uber via optical and Modi 2 Uber outputs to Magni 3 via RCA which outputs to K712.

I recommend the second option if you can afford it.

Nov 13, 2017 at 10:44 AM Post #14 of 60
+1 on the M2U and Magni 3 stack, as it doubles as a very good desktop setup and can be used in a variety of situations

Users who are viewing this thread

Back