AKG 501's -Sennheiser Hd580's Headphone landmarks ?
Oct 27, 2006 at 5:23 AM Post #16 of 22
I'll agree- the K-501 and HD-580 are landmarks and classics. I've spent some time with both, and think they're excellent.

Now that the prices are trending lower and lower ($100 and $139, respectively), they're very affordable for new enthusiasts. Especially the K-501. I find that it has a lot of the tonal balance and "house sound" of the K-1000. For the price, it's just amazing.

Oct 27, 2006 at 5:54 AM Post #17 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Solitary1
What language is this?

Seriously though, this is some of the worst use of the English language I have seen in weeks.

I agree about the K501. I picked these up this week and find they still hold their own against the newer K601. This speaks highly of them. When the replacement can isn't able to trump a design, it was obviously a very good one. Personally I don't like the Sennheiser house sound, but I can see the same thing going on with the HD-580. Seems many listeners still like them in addition to the HD-600 and 650.

It seems both the K501 and HD-580 weren't replaced by these newer cans in listeners ears/minds, just on the store shelves!

Oct 27, 2006 at 4:21 PM Post #18 of 22
Having taken apart my HD580s, I can say that the difference between the 580s/600s are very minimal!!!! Older posts say that yes they use the same elements (Sennheiser's replacement is exactly the same part number for them), but the 600s may be better balanced. Number one: these things are manufactured to such a degree, that I would think they would be pretty well balanced to begin with. Number two: they're mass produced, so I don't think that much time is given to paying attention to one driver. Since the differences between the 600 and 580 is so small, the current 580s are a steal.

I also don't believe some reviews of the 600 when it came out. Some say that the 600 has better sonic characteristics because the headband is carbon vs the 580s plastic. I don't listen to my music loud enough to get any resonance going on my headband!!!

Oct 27, 2006 at 6:06 PM Post #19 of 22
BTW, I just scoured the internet to see if there was a real difference with the 650's drivers over the 580/600. Looks like there is! Is it worth the price difference? Probably not, but I wanna now get the 650 to see
smily_headphones1.gif

this review of an AT compares it to the 650. It indicates that they even redesigned the diaphragm....hope that means that the 650 has some added detail.

http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/a...winning_2.html

Oct 28, 2006 at 5:00 AM Post #20 of 22
Could the K501 be so good because its single driver has never pretended to be a subwoofer too? My hunch is deep bass comes at the expense of a clean midrange. For me this is the kiss of death for classical music and is the reason I've never owned Sennheisers even though they have a reputation for being great classical phones.

Oct 28, 2006 at 5:19 AM Post #21 of 22
Not hearing the AKGs yet (I really want to hear the AKG 501 series....in particular the 701!!!), I can only speak from a Sennheiser perspective. At the time I first heard the 580, it seemed really well balanced to me (it was my first hi-fi....before that was a Sony MDR-v600). I didn't notice the "veil". Now that I've heard brighter hi-fi phones, I can say the 580 series is still very pleasant. Yeah, compared to some other, brighter headphones, it seems muddy in direct comparison (the mids are there, but subtle, and actually bring out details in the tembre of strings an woodwinds). But if you actually just sit back and listen to a whole CD, you get lulled into it's soundstage.....it's huge! I think, in some ways, that's why perceptually it's actually not that muddy.....it sounds more like loudspeakers if I can describe it easily. That's why I'm wondering what the 650 sounds like. Posts on this forum say it has more bass on it (can't imagine the 580/600 having more bass!!!). At first it sounded like that's all it had. But reviews I've seen says the diaphragm was redesigned to open up more detail too. If so, then maybe the 650 is a true upgrade from the 580 (the 600, to me, I don't see!). This site is making me want to buy both the 701 and the 650.....GOSH DARN IT!!!!!
mad.gif
eggosmile.gif

Oct 29, 2006 at 10:57 AM Post #22 of 22
Quote:

HT and subwoofers being the referance and demand of the contemporary intiantes and their music. However, your right, good sound engerneering hasn't evolved, nor has it need to, or perhaps couldn't even, at this price point other than what they both have decided upon with their updated models.

Agreed, for music I'm not sure things are going to get better.. can only see a continued movement to lower lows, higher highs and special effects to cater to the HT heads. As is happening in the hifi world.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back