AKG 501's -Sennheiser Hd580's Headphone landmarks ?
Oct 26, 2006 at 3:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

Rob80b

Headphoneus Supremus
All this continuing interest in the K501’s and also the HD580’s only reminds us that both these cans were and appear (in hindsight) to be landmarks in quality headphones. Both have been out for a number of years and are still appreciated. Yes they can now be got for a reasonable price, but not to forget they were both flagships for the audiophile and at the time of release priced accordingly, outside the AKG K1000’s and the Sennheiser Orpheus.
Headphone research and development are probably not a high priority for either manufacturer and it is interesting neither have a representative on these forms, contrary to Grado and a lot of the amp designers from Meier-Audio, Headamp, Ray Samuels and HeadRoom to name a few.
The K501’s were my first choice after joining headfi and the HD580’s my second.
Both specialize in microphones and it only makes sense they that their transducers were further developed to give the listener the best monitoring devices at the end of the chain, “the Headphone”. Fashion was not what they had in mind although both have a plethora of lower end cans to fill the consumers needs, maybe too many.
Taking in their perspective sound the K501’s and HD580’s came out before the majority of folks got into Home Theatre augmented with subwoofers. So at that time the K501’s were developed their bass was more than adequate and probably correct for most, although the majority of headfiers now agree that the last part of the bottom octave appears to be missing, regardless of amplification.
The Senn house sound on the other hand is darker but with better bass extension.
So what I’m getting at is that manufactures are now catering to what’s in, more deeper bass (HD650’s) maybe extended highs (k601’s/K701’s?) but at the possible determent of neutrality, which I think leads us back to why there is a continuing interest in the K501’s and HD580’s, two honest cans representing the perspective designs of both manufactures.
What’s new is not necessarily better.
Just some thoughts!

Oct 26, 2006 at 3:43 PM Post #2 of 22
Now that I'm modding my HD580, I've looked up what differences might exist between the 580/600/650. They're very minimal! Especially between the 580 and 600. Haven't seen any pics of the 650's elements yet. Anyone here willing to post pics of theirs??

I guess Sennheiser knows they have a good thing, so they just keep redressing the ever popular 580. Though from the threads, it sounds like, while the 650 is only minorly different from the 600, it has noticable bass differences.

Makes me wonder if they did redesign the driver yet. The thing that baffles me about my 580s is I noticed the exposed voice wires going all the way to the contacts. That must contribute some to the "veil"....though I think part of the "veil" is the sound dynamics of the driver being recessed and away from the ear. I'm slowly gathering up courage to maybe try experimenting with replacing the exposed voice wire with an insulated wire. When I first took apart my "vintage" 580s, the voice wires were very loose. I tightened them (stuck the slack in the sticky area around the driver), and I swear it opened up the mids. I suspect the 580s could get more detail if they had insulated wires going up to the driver.

Oct 26, 2006 at 4:30 PM Post #3 of 22
I agree with your statements fully. Only slight changes to each companys once near the top flagship offering which these two HPs represented (other than their respective stratousphere offerings) indeed IMO reintroduced with upgraded build quality and a slight tipping of the sonics presentation reflecting the target audiences contemporary musical choices. Also, as you point out, HT and subwoofers being the referance and demand of the contemporary intiantes and their music. However, your right, good sound engerneering hasn't evolved, nor has it need to, or perhaps couldn't even, at this price point other than what they both have decided upon with their updated models. The original offerings were and are that great! Especially great offerings at todays heavily discounted price points! Classics!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob80b
All this continuing interest in the K501’s and also the HD580’s only reminds us that both these cans were and appear (in hindsight) to be landmarks in quality headphones. Both have been out for a number of years and are still appreciated. Yes they can now be got for a reasonable price, but not to forget they were both flagships for the audiophile and at the time of release priced accordingly, outside the AKG K1000’s and the Sennheiser Orpheus.
Headphone research and development are probably not a high priority for either manufacturer and it is interesting neither have a representative on these forms, contrary to Grado and a lot of the amp designers from Meier-Audio, Headamp, Ray Samuels and HeadRoom to name a few.
The K501’s were my first choice after joining headfi and the HD580’s my second.
Both specialize in microphones and it only makes sense they that their transducers were further developed to give the listener the best monitoring devices at the end of the chain, “the Headphone”. Fashion was not what they had in mind although both have a plethora of lower end cans to fill the consumers needs, maybe too many.
Taking in their perspective sound the K501’s and HD580’s came out before the majority of folks got into Home Theatre augmented with subwoofers. So at that time the K501’s were developed their bass was more than adequate and probably correct for most, although the majority of headfiers now agree that the last part of the bottom octave appears to be missing, regardless of amplification.
The Senn house sound on the other hand is darker but with better bass extension.
So what I’m getting at is that manufactures are now catering to what’s in, more deeper bass (HD650’s) maybe extended highs (k601’s/K701’s?) but at the possible determent of neutrality, which I think leads us back to why there is a continuing interest in the K501’s and HD580’s, two honest cans representing the perspective designs of both manufactures.
What’s new is not necessarily better.
Just some thoughts!

Oct 26, 2006 at 4:59 PM Post #5 of 22
Actually, I got my 580s right as the HT craze was starting. In fact, I got them at deep discount with Sennheiser's dolby surround dsp proecessor. They supposedly were going to be discontinued (6 years later, they're still being sold on Amazon!!). The thing that impressed me about the 580s, when I first got them, was the soundstage. With movies, they did sound like what HT rigs were striving to be. The DSP did give some improvements with movies, but my current computer has all sorts of headphone surround modes that do similar things.

As for the evolution of headphones, I guess since the concept of dynamic drivers is a pretty easy idea, there's only so much that can be done to improve upon them. That's why I'd really like to see a Sennheiser 595 element to see if it's different then my 580. So much of the sonic characteristics comes from the angle and enclosure of the driver. Sennheiser is doing a complete departure from the 580/600/650 series with the 595 series. To my ears, the 595 doesn't have as big a sound stage, but is very well balanced and is more "phone" like. Maybe Sennheiser is going to see how well sales of the 555/595 are, before they start slowly evolving those.

Oct 26, 2006 at 5:49 PM Post #6 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Davesrose
The thing that impressed me about the 580s, when I first got them, was the soundstage. With movies, they did sound like what HT rigs were striving to be. The DSP did give some improvements with movies, but my current computer has all sorts of headphone surround modes that do similar things.

Funny, out of my three top phones I always pull out the HD580's for movies.

Oct 26, 2006 at 5:58 PM Post #7 of 22
yeah! Even without the DSP, they stack up pretty nicely with my surround system for action flicks.

Oct 26, 2006 at 7:08 PM Post #8 of 22
Nice writeup :thumbsup:

Don't forget companies like Shure and AT, who also specialize in microphones.

Oct 26, 2006 at 9:16 PM Post #10 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hi-Finthen
I agree with your statements fully. Only slight changes to each companys once near the top flagship offering which these two HPs represented (other than their respective stratousphere offerings) indeed IMO reintroduced with upgraded build quality and a slight tipping of the sonics presentation reflecting the target audiences contemporary musical choices. Also, as you point out, HT and subwoofers being the referance and demand of the contemporary intiantes and their music. However, your right, good sound engerneering hasn't evolved, nor has it need to, or perhaps couldn't even, at this price point other than what they both have decided upon with their updated models. The original offerings were and are that great! Especially great offerings at todays heavily discounted price points! Classics!

What language is this?

Oct 26, 2006 at 10:10 PM Post #11 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Solitary1
What language is this?

taking issue with the lack of spelling, puncuation and stream of consciousness prose.... Or off topic retribution ...
Forgetaboutit, lifes to short.... Cheer up, its almost the weekend.....

You dump that HeadFive yet ;-}

Oct 26, 2006 at 10:49 PM Post #12 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hi-Finthen
taking issue with the lack of spelling, puncuation and stream of consciousness prose.... Or off topic retribution ...
Forgetaboutit, lifes to short.... Cheer up, its almost the weekend.....

You dump that HeadFive yet ;-}

Sorry, I don't follow your posts just to "gain retribution". The topic of the thread looked interesting, that's the reason I entered it. I just could not read that post of yours, dude. I am a lover of both headphones, used to own the 580 and just purchased a second pair of 501's after selling them years ago. I agree with a lot of the comments here.

Funny though, is that not what YOU did to my thread? Take issue with a word that I used (spelled correctly). We're not gonna crap on this thread though. I'm done.

Oct 26, 2006 at 11:31 PM Post #13 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Solitary1
Sorry, I don't follow your posts just to "gain retribution". The topic of the thread looked interesting, that's the reason I entered it. I just could not read that post of yours, dude. I am a lover of both headphones, used to own the 580 and just purchased a second pair of 501's after selling them years ago. I agree with a lot of the comments here.

Funny though, is that not what YOU did to my thread? Take issue with a word that I used (spelled correctly). We're not gonna crap on this thread though. I'm done.

Well you might of just said:"I am a lover of both headphones, used to own the 580 and just purchased a second pair of 501's after selling them years ago. I agree with a lot of the comments here." end quote...

But no, instead you purposely interjected nothing to the thread other than your misunderstanding of my post which in your thinking somehow relates to a previous misunderstanding we had over your thread subject titled :"Why is everyone dumping their Headfives". And you say you honestly don't understand the use of the term "retribution" here now.... Remember, I took issue with the terms in your thread "Everyone" and the term "Dumping" : Afterwhich I did even take responsibility for any misunderstanding and further, I appologize if you took personal issue with my saying so in YOUR thread. You might have taken the opportunity to do the same at that point in time. That sir, is what I mean to say is your seeking "retribution" in this thread based upon your misunderstanding of my post. Pretentously asking 'What language is this"... You decided to thread crap sir, not I!

Oct 26, 2006 at 11:40 PM Post #14 of 22
Go away, kid. You bother me.

Moderator, I respectfully request all posts regarding this issue be removed from an otherwise good thread. If this guy/girl/whatever has something to say to me, he/she/it can do it offline.

Oct 27, 2006 at 12:38 AM Post #15 of 22
I guess I disagree with the comment about the K501 bottom octave being absent. The bottom octave is 16 hz to 60 hz. This can does 50-60hz better than anything else I've heard. To me below 45hz on a headphone is sort of like making out with a blowup girl, it just ain't the same as listening to speakers I'de rather not hear it on phones, its just a distraction.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back